North Korea says it successfully conducts hydrogen bomb test

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

frenchmanflats
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 11:37 pm

North Korea says it has successfully carried out a hydrogen bomb test in a region of the country where it conducted three previous nuclear tests.

If the claim is verified, a hydrogen bomb test will be a significant advancement for the country's military ambitions: the device is more powerful than plutonium weapons, which is what North Korea has previously tested
If there's no invasion on our sovereignty we will not use nuclear weapon," the North Korean state news agency said. "This H-bomb test brings us to a higher level of nuclear power."

The test took place at 10 a.m. local time, the regime said in a televised statement.

The seismic event, which measured the event at a magnitude of 5.1, occurred 19 kilometers (12 miles) east-northeast of Sungjibaegam, the United States Geological Survey said.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/05/asia/nort ... mic-event/

frenchmanflats
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 11:48 pm

It mentioned in the article that the South Korean and Japanese foreign ministries went to emergency sessions. To me, something really significant happened.

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jan 2016, 11:53 pm

That's okay. Making it harder for ordinary Americans to buy guns is MUCH more important.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2016, 12:59 am

frenchmanflats wrote:
It mentioned in the article that the South Korean and Japanese foreign ministries went to emergency sessions. To me, something really significant happened.

The UN Security Council is going to hold a closed door session today

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ahjfcshfghb
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jan 2016, 1:00 am

frenchmanflats wrote:

Yeah, that kind of takes validity away from the claim that it was just a hoax so North Korea could get peoples' attention. But ''defending themselves against the United States''? That's preposterous. If the test actually DID occur successfully, I'd hate to see nuclear warheads in the hands of those people who aren't even basing their detonation on facts. Not to mention KJU would do anything to show his power.

frenchmanflats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2016, 1:08 am

ahjfcshfghb wrote:
frenchmanflats wrote:

Yeah, that kind of takes validity away from the claim that it was just a hoax so North Korea could get peoples' attention. But ''defending themselves against the United States''? That's preposterous. If the test actually DID occur successfully, I'd hate to see nuclear warheads in the hands of those people who aren't even basing their detonation on facts. Not to mention KJU would do anything to show his power.

If this a hydrogen bomb, this will add another dimension to their arsenal. I am sure that every spy satellite is focused on the area.

Last edited by frenchmanflats on 06 Jan 2016, 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

frenchmanflats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2016, 1:13 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
frenchmanflats wrote:

The UN Security Council is going to hold a closed door session today

I would love to see the data on this.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2016, 4:37 pm

Which is worse? A nuclear bomb of a hydrogen bomb?

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2016, 5:01 pm

I heard it this morning, and I was shaking with fear. :pale:

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2016, 5:20 pm

That doesn't seem possible. How did North Korea acquire the meets to make such a thing?

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2016, 5:26 pm

KyleTheGhost wrote:
That doesn't seem possible. How did North Korea acquire the meets to make such a thing?

Exactly. They didn't.

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2016, 5:37 pm

I just heard on NBC 4 news that hydrogen bombs are very hard to make, and that leaves others skeptical.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2016, 5:45 pm

I put it at around 15 kilotons for a 5.1 earthquake under a mountain. So, a fission or boosted fission device.

Not that they need more power than a ~15 kiloton device. That's more than enough for strategic purposes for them, and they'd know this. A failed H-Bomb isn't likely for this reason.

Their goals would be to make them small and reliable enough to fit on an intermediate-range ballistic missile (with sub-launched the ultimate goal), which would be a deterrent to an invasion.

frenchmanflats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2016, 9:48 pm

KyleTheGhost wrote:

Read the book "Dark Sun" by Richard Rhodes

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2016, 10:38 pm

http://www.norsar.no/norsar/about-us/Ne ... nuary-2016

They put it at about 10 kilotons (seems like it was 4.9 magnitude rather than 5.1). So, in line with previous atomic devices by North Korea.

frenchmanflats
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2016, 10:48 pm

Dillogic wrote:
http://www.norsar.no/norsar/about-us/News/2016/North-Korea-nuclear-test-on-6-January-2016

They put it at about 10 kilotons (seems like it was 4.9 magnitude rather than 5.1). So, in line with previous atomic devices by North Korea.

Several things will happen. The USA will be taking air samples to determine whether it was a hydrogen bomb or not. In Ivy Mike, there were tons of fallout spewed into the air.Secondly, they will have a spy satellite checking the area looking for a crater. If its a very big crater then its a hydrogen bomb. In Operation Ivy Mike, the hydrogen explosion which was about 15 megatons left a very deep crater.