Non-transgender Men Being Allowed In Women's Bathroom!

Page 14 of 18 [ 277 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2016, 11:05 pm

Quote:
You clearly do not understand what being transgender is. It is not something that comes and goes on a whim, it's an innate feeling that has been with the person their entire lives.

smh Yes, I know. I was saying the man would be lying. Good gracious.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2016, 11:47 pm

I'm coming late to this thread, but here's my two cents-

I doubt there isn't a single man on WP, or anywhere, who hasn't used the women's room when the men's room is either incapacitated, or is just too full and we really had to go. None of us ever were arrested for that, or raped women in the ladies room.
There is not one single example of trans women ever sexually assaulting anyone else in the restroom.
There is plenty of examples of transsexuals being physically assaulted and even murdered by vicious rednecks for using the men's room.
Sure, transsexuals make up about .03% of the population. But they still have rights. And the fact that they are so few guarantees those against trans rights that they may never encounter a transsexual.
In closing, I do in fact have a daughter, and my wife and I are also friends with a transwoman. One of the very last people I'd be fearful of having in the ladies room with our daughter is our friend.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 12:52 am

The reason I lean more towards being left wing is because I care about individuals. Quoting 0.3% as the number affected doesn't make me think, oh well as long as it's a small number of people who are hurting and feeling ashamed of who they are and are worried they'll get beaten up when all they need to do is pee, then that's OK.

I understand a percentage of women feel threatened and unsafe like Angela does, and I care about how those people feel too.

So it's a bit of a catch 22. It seems a silly law because transitioned people aren't obvious anyway. Are they really saying those people who look like a male now and who live as a male now should use the female restroom because they have female written on their birth certificate? Thats gonna make people uncomfortable too.

Interesting that Angela is being berated for taking gender-fluid people into consideration. She's right in saying that some people feel male or female different days. They aren't trans, they are gender-fluid, but this affects them too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 6:03 am

I've only used "the ladies room" when there was only one toilet, and only one person can be in the bathroom at any one time. Yes, I've been desperate in the way Krachauer has described.

But I just don't believe men should go into a ladies room with more than one stall, with ladies "doing their business." It's just not right. Ladies have the right to their privacy, just like men have the right not to have ladies come in the mens room.

I'm not militant about it. But I still feel there should be separate bathrooms for men and women.

As far as trans people are concerned, if a person is fully transitioned from a man to a woman, then she should definitely be able to use the ladies room.

Target's policy is absurd.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 7:15 am

Quote:
You clearly do not understand what being transgender is. It is not something that comes and goes on a whim, it's an innate feeling that has been with the person their entire lives.

The hypothetical man in my post was lying.
smh

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 7:28 am

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:

The hypothetical man in my post was lying.
smh

I don't think "I felt like a women today" will work as an excuse for someone who is trying to get away with spying on people in the bathroom. And besides it will cause a hell of a lot more problems for a fully trans person to use the bathroom on their birth certificate like some Republicans are trying to write into law. Could you imagine a man with a full beard being forced to use the women's bathroom? Or what about a fully transitioned woman being forced to use the men's room. The risk of them being assaulted is much much higher than the risk of someone being able to use this policy as an excuse to engage in criminal behavior.

This has never been a problem before, and it isn't now despite all the pearl clutching going on.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 7:35 am

b9
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 7:44 am

it is a shame that people can change their gender these days. in the past, one had to learn how to deal with being what you were, but now it is thought that people should be spared of the sufferance that they can not decide who they are and be given a plethora of choices to nominate themselves with no further thought or effort.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 7:47 am

Quote:
I don't think "I felt like a women today" will work as an excuse for someone who is trying to get away with spying on people in the bathroom.

I didn't say it's an excuse for spying on people. I said it's an excuse for a man to enter a ladies room and loiter without fear of repercussions. It makes it easier for him to commit a crime, similar to how leaving your door unlocked makes it easier for a robber to get in your house. Robbing a house is still illegal, but if I stand on my roof with a bullhorn (this is a Target analogy) and announce that I keep my door unlocked, don't you think I'm more likely to be robbed?

Quote:
This has never been a problem before, and it isn't now despite all the pearl clutching going on.

Transsexual bathroom usage has never (to my knowledge) been an issue before, but this matter of loudly announcing what amounts to a gender-neutral bathroom policy is something new. I might be ok with it if the bathrooms were marked to represent this, but keeping the "men" and "women" signs on them is misleading.
Btw, calling peoples' concerns "pearl clutching" is condescending and sexist.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 7:51 am

b9 wrote:
it is a shame that people can change their gender these days. in the past, one had to learn how to deal with being what you were, but now it is thought that people should be spared of the sufferance that they can not decide who they are and be given a plethora of choices to nominate themselves with no further thought or effort.

Why is it a shame? I don't understand.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 8:00 am

Lukeda420 wrote:
b9 wrote:

well i said why it is a shame in my post so i guess either read it or just complacently disagree.
if you don't have to strive to be yourself then you are no one in the end.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 8:12 am

YippySkippy wrote:
Quote:
I don't think "I felt like a women today" will work as an excuse for someone who is trying to get away with spying on people in the bathroom.

I didn't say it's an excuse for spying on people. I said it's an excuse for a man to enter a ladies room and loiter without fear of repercussions. It makes it easier for him to commit a crime, similar to how leaving your door unlocked makes it easier for a robber to get in your house. Robbing a house is still illegal, but if I stand on my roof with a bullhorn (this is a Target analogy) and announce that I keep my door unlocked, don't you think I'm more likely to be robbed?

Quote:

Transsexual bathroom usage has never (to my knowledge) been an issue before, but this matter of loudly announcing what amounts to a gender-neutral bathroom policy is something new. I might be ok with it if the bathrooms were marked to represent this, but keeping the "men" and "women" signs on them is misleading.
Btw, calling peoples' concerns "pearl clutching" is condescending and sexist.

Your first paragraph is both a false equivalency and a straw man.

So this whole thing comes down to the signs on the door? Is that what you're saying?

Of and how is using the term pearl clutching sexist? It's an old term for getting worked up over other people making them uncomfortable.

This whole thing wasn't a concern two months ago and it shouldn't be now. Target was just responding to the chatter caused by North Carolina. In a few weeks most people will forget about this anyway.

http://www.snopes.com/target-transgende ... om-policy/

This whole thing wasn't an issue until Republicans in North Carolina made it one by trying to pass a law.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 8:24 am

I would be embarrassed if a lady walked in while I was "doing my business."

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 8:26 am

b9 wrote:
Lukeda420 wrote:
b9 wrote:

well i said why it is a shame in my post so i guess either read it or just complacently disagree.
if you don't have to strive to be yourself then you are no one in the end.

Sorry, I should have elaborated a little more.

But what if changing that gender allows them to feel more like themselves with a body and mind that is congruent?

I just don't understand why it's shame to try to reduce the sufferance of others when possible?

And people don't usually change their gender identity on a whim. I'm sure there are some Mr. Garrisons out there (minus the surgery part) but they are a very small minority of an already small minority group.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 8:30 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would be embarrassed if a lady walked in while I was "doing my business."

I honestly don't think this will be a problem. I think the people who choose to use the men's room will be transitioned and actually look male. I think if they didn't they would probably be to afraid of being harassed or outed otherwise.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 9:03 am

If a person is totally "transitioned," then I wouldn't see a problem in the least.