Holy Carp! Somebody shot a politician in UK!

Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 11:35 am

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... -yorkshire

lone witness says first he heard before going to look "Britain first!" by the shooter
Then he said the guy kept screaming it during arrest. No confirmation form the actual constables

The main body of witnesses say altercation was between two men and she got in the middle when she was killed.
Brits are getting pretty testy this week <_<

That shooter would not even be noticed in southern MI, Idaho, eastern WA and pretty much all the central SE USA, looks so typical hick.

What do the forum Brits think on this unusual event ?

Poor lady.

BTW UK had gun bans in the late 90s.

imo; open borders=illegal firearm trade

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 12:09 pm

Jo Cox was 41, married with two young children, she has now died from the injuries received today. A very sad day and hard to comprehend how someone could feel that this kind of action could achieve any thing.

She seemed like one of the few good politicians, as in not full of BS, but was strongly campaigning for remaining a part of the EU. The claims about the perpetrator shouting "Britain first" are still unconfirmed but possible. She was definitely the target, she was shot three times, once to the head, and then stabbed a number of times too.

There are some reports that the gun could have been self made/modified/classic handgun but these are also unconfirmed.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 12:23 pm

Note: I'm American, not a Brit.

My condolences to the lady's family on her assassination by a wingnut.

There was a similar case a few years ago in Arizona, with a Congresswoman named Gabrielle Giffords. I'm sorry this has spread to the UK.

Info about the UK assassin:

Tommy Mair: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 12:25 pm

Shocking and very sad news. Yes, she was definitely the target. An older man seems to have tried to help her, and he received minor injuries.

The EU Referendum is next week and Jo Cox had been active in the campaign to remain. Britain First want to leave the EU.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 12:56 pm

Why would someone want to shoot a labour MP? :(

RIP Jo.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 5:39 pm

Marcia in her post has it right. This is likely linked to the fact that our Referendum to leave the EU is coming up next week. There is massive anger and tension in the UK right now. We get to vote next week on whether or not to leave the EU. People are really passionate on both sides and it's dividing people. People who want to leave the EU and people who think we should remain in the EU are pretty much hating each other right now. There's lots of "you're an idiot" from both sides. This is the first time anyone's killed anyone over it though.

From more news coming out about this particular man, it is said he has a history of mental illness. The report that he shouted "Britain first", which suggests he's angry at Jo Cox for being a "remain" backer, is only the top layer I think. He's angry but also probably mentally unstable. Lots of "Leave" supporters are not wishing to kill anyone. Lots of Leave supporters are sane and stable and calm and have good reasons to disagree with the Remainers without killing them....

It's unfortunate that one ill person shouted something the Remainers will point to as if that's representive of a typical Leave supporter.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 6:43 pm

Surprised nobody shot iain duncan smith, I despise the guy but I still wouldn't wish harm on him even though he wasn't exactly the most resplendent human to have in charge of the vulnerable.

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Forth Estuary Area, Western Palearctic Archipelago, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way

16 Jun 2016, 6:51 pm

First, open borders does not mean more guns. Luggage is still scanned at ports of entry. It's not clear what sort of gun was involved - as has been noted it may have been something handmade or an old one that was repurposed. Getting hold of a firearm is next to impossible here. Forget bringing one in from abroad. Customs officials are looking for them.

It's starting to look like this was politically motivated. A lot of fear and hatred of foreigners has been whipped up by the Brexit crowd. It only took one person who was more unbalanced than most of the rest for something like this to happen. There were strong feelings during the Scottish IndyRef, but not like I'm seeing now. Then again, that was never about hating "the English". This has turned into hating "the foreigner", and blaming foreigners for the consequences of Tory cuts.

I'm not the first person to observe that not everyone who is planning to vote leave is a racist, but you can be sure that all the racists and xenophobes will vote leave.

Needless to say, I plan to vote Remain. I like my continental friends and neighbours, often more than I like many of my fellow Scots. As far as I'm concerned, many of them now are my fellow Scots. I don't want to see them being thrown out. Jo Cox seemed to have felt similarly.

Stuck on some pre-FTL rationality-forsaken mudball in the Orion Spur. Ecological collapse (dominant-species induced major extinction event) imminent. Requesting passage to any post-scarcity biological civ. Beacon status: ACTIVE. Can tell stories.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 6:52 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
It's unfortunate that one ill person shouted something the Remainers will point to as if that's representive of a typical Leave supporter.

What happened is a tragedy and it's an absolute disgrace that there were already mainstream media outlets shaping the news within minutes of the shooting to paint Pro-Brexit supporters with the same brush as this wing nut who acted on his own.

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

Location: Forth Estuary Area, Western Palearctic Archipelago, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way

16 Jun 2016, 6:54 pm

DancingCorpse wrote:
Surprised nobody shot iain duncan smith, I despise the guy but I still wouldn't wish harm on him even though he wasn't exactly the most resplendent human to have in charge of the vulnerable.

Unfortunately, while I'd be more than happy to see the back of him, shooting IDS now might encourage more people to vote the wrong way. He wants out because the Human Rights Act may be the only legal recourse to holding that excuse for humanity accountable for his actions.

Stuck on some pre-FTL rationality-forsaken mudball in the Orion Spur. Ecological collapse (dominant-species induced major extinction event) imminent. Requesting passage to any post-scarcity biological civ. Beacon status: ACTIVE. Can tell stories.

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jun 2016, 6:57 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:

What happened is a tragedy and it's an absolute disgrace that there were already mainstream media outlets shaping the news within minutes of the shooting to paint Pro-Brexit supporters with the same brush as this wing nut who acted on his own.

Not all Brexit supporters are murderous racists, but many Brexit supporters have been whipping up some very nasty xenophobia. Witness all those England football supporters running around shouting about how much they hate foreigners and plan to vote leave.

All that xenophobia is certainly going to feed a murderous minority.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 7:19 pm

Niall wrote:
TheSpectrum wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:

Not all Brexit supporters are murderous racists, but many Brexit supporters have been whipping up some very nasty xenophobia. Witness all those England football supporters running around shouting about how much they hate foreigners and plan to vote leave.

All that xenophobia is certainly going to feed a murderous minority.

Conservative values unfortunately are low hanging fruit for some very ignorant people who wear them like a veil, and we regular folks get associated with them. We aim to be self sufficient, strong and charismatic and some use it as the opportunity for violence, separatism and all sorts of nasty things.

On the left, the problem is also there but in a different way. Prejudice is carried out through suppression of thought, language and freedoms of anyone they don't like while claiming to be their best support network.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 7:21 pm

RIP Jo Cox.

Information on the guy held over the killing (from a left of centre newspaper):

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/201 ... d-reserved

It looks to me like he may be mentally ill: From a neighbour - "She insisted it was “totally out of character” and that he had never been in trouble with police before. She said he “practically lived in the library” and liked to write his own stories.

“He was obsessed with books,” she said. “His house is full of them.”"

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 7:32 pm

Niall, while it's good that you acknowledge that not all Brexiters are racists, you get it wrong about the reasons Brexiters have to want to leave.

It's not even about "hating foreigners." That is so simplistic as to be ridiculous and sounds like something a very young child would conclude.

The Brexiters who are not racists, unstable, murderous etc are concerned about several problem being part of the EU has brought. Immigration is only one of them, and the subset of reasons behind concern about immigration figures is STILL not about "racism" -- it's about sheer numbers. Figures. Mathematics.

This is a small country that cannot actually sustain uncontrolled or mildly uncontrolled numbers of people pouring in. We already have strains on the infrastructures of our cities and towns. Not enough housing to go around, then the pressure to do away with greenbelt land and more of the countryside -- where does it stop? Not enough doctor's practices to go around. There are now two week waiting periods just to see your local GP about an ailment in some places.

I could go on, but the main point is, our infrastructures can't bear the strain of the people already here, let alone the prospect of more coming. Everyone in the EU heads for.....HERE.

You cannot stuff into an elevator lift 50 people when its capacity is only for 12 riders on that lift. You cannot keep stuffing ever more people into a country that already has a housing crisis, congested roadways anywhere but remote rural areas, services being strained to the limit, schools overcrowded and people being denied places for their children -- this is beyond normal expectation of population growth even if you only had Brits reproducing Brits.

IT'S NOT ABOUT RACISM. Or about "not liking our nice European neighbours." Sane, decent people concerned with far noble issues than being racist or xenophobic are Brexiters too.

The trouble with Remain people is they only see things in black and white. They just want to believe it's only ALL about "racists and xenophobics."

Simplistic beyond words. Stunningly stupid.

Also, most importantly, BRUSSELS HAS THIS COUNTRY BY THE BALLS. We are nothing but a little prison bit*h to the unelected EU officials. They have us and our ability to make our own laws, regulations etc over a barrel. We HAVE NO SOVEREIGNTY.

We used to be a country that decided the things we do. Now we're just a little lapdog to the EU.

Oh and I'm not a person with "conservative values." I have only ever been left of centre/liberal. But this country's systems are in an unnaturally ballooned crisis and I don't care if it's fascinating, wonderful people from Alpha Centauri, something has to stop concerning unbridled migration and something DEFINITELY has to stop concerning Brussel having control over us. We are even shot down in most of our efforts to shape things IN Brussels -- there are figures out there on that.

I won't be returning to this thread or this argument because you people really are that stupid about this.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 7:38 pm

Fair enough!

I have to agree though Brussels have pretty much hindered us from doing anything as a nation.
But that is for another topic.

I hope she gets the benefit of a decent funeral and that politics won't be overkill on that day.

Niall
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jun 2016, 7:43 pm

@Birdinflight

The problem the Brexit supporters seem to have is that they don't seem to recognise that the problems with infrastructure and services in terms of education, health services, house building and so on are brought on by Tory cuts, not immigration. The Brexit supporters blame immigration, when the real people to blame are the Tories.

The fact that they would rather blame "outsiders" makes it look to me like xenophobia.

The main leaders of the Brexit camp are all right-wing supporters of more cuts. They openly want to privatise the NHS. They regard legal protections for the environment and workers' rights as "red tape" to be disposed of.

I'll be the first to accept that the EU isn't perfect but the problem over infrastructure is not immigration, but Tory extremism and deliberate funding cuts to essential services like education and healthcare. I find it hard to accept that even people on the left are falling for their propaganda. You'd think they'd have seen through the Tory lies by now.