Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 1:22 am

is this brexit thing going to amount to a slow-motion avalanche?

littlecatinthewindow
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 2:20 am

I'm scared of what's going to happen now. I really thought that most people, like me, would prefer it if things were left the way they were. I understand nothing about politics, but my stepmother convinced me to vote remain because she thinks that if the EU had control over the laws, it would be better for people like me, who is either working or middle class, and has a disability and learning difficulties. Now I'm worried I might lose some or all of my disability living allowance, my student loans...And without connections to other countries, I'm not sure how well we will do on our own.

I'm just worried about what this means for people like me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 2:22 am

on the radio news reports, it said England's "divorce" will take about 2 years, so whatever happens will take some time.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 3:05 am

Also, David Cameron has announced his resignation as PM.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 3:14 am

I wonder why he did that.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 4:21 am

^ because his side lost.

Huh, gotta say it was unexpected. I assumed Bremain would get a narrow win.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

AntDog
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 4:26 am

TRUMP AND JOHNSON 2 CRAZY HAIRDOS ACROSS THE POND FOR 2016!! ! I CANT STOP LAUGHING!! !! !! !! !!

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

24 Jun 2016, 6:03 am

And now the pound of flesh is being exacted by the global markets.

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 9:52 am

It's a disaster. And even worse in Scotland where there is now increased clamour for another independence referendum. We are in the ridiculous situation of being led by a party whose raison d'être is independence from the UK, while simultaneously wanting to remain in the EU.

I feel sick, angry, sad, ...

Can't believe so many people were/are so stupid.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 11:02 am

^
In your opinion Marcia, what are the chances for a new referendum in Scotland (especially since the EU more or less openly invited you to join them) and what do you think the results would be? What seems to be the local reaction?

Thank you

(I'm sorry for your distress, here in Europe we're all still confused and shocked. You have a very beautiful country, btw)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 11:43 am

auntblabby wrote:
I wonder why he did that.

Because unlike America in most democracies the executive resigns when the public has rejected the executives position on a key issue.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 11:44 am

Quote:
We are in the ridiculous situation of being led by a party whose raison d'être is independence from the UK, while simultaneously wanting to remain in the EU.

I'm an American - it's not my circus, not my monkeys.

But I'm curious to know whether Scotland could separately join the EU while remaining part of the UK. Would that be legal - or even practical?

I understand that now there will be a 2-year negotiation process. Would it be reasonable to negotiate a separate status for Scotland and for Northern Ireland which also voted to remain in the EU? There's actually precedent for this - I remember that when the Soviet Union existed and was part of the UN that several of its "republics" were also separately admitted to the UN (Ukraine, I think and also Georgia and a couple others).

Has anyone proposed such a status for Scotland?

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 2:17 pm

I think it'll be the practicalities that will be the main stumbling block as the EU's principles include the free movement of goods and people between member states.Although the border between England and Scotland is the oldest existing border in the world it has been an open one for centuries and would have to become a Customs point.A large number
of UK companies have branches on either side and would have to work out how best to restructure.Then there is
the human cost of splitting families as many people have relations in each country.The reintroduction of a manned Irish border would also bring the same issues along with the particular sensitivies relating to calls for a united Ireland.
I wish there was an easy answer ! I voted to stay in the UK before but I don't think Brexit was a good move and it's highlighted the different approach to Europe in different parts of the UK.It's worth pointing out that some major centres in England voted Remain such as inner London,Manchester and Liverpool.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 5:57 pm

I read that the vote was split along generational lines. anybody have any backstory to add to this?

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 6:15 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
^
In your opinion Marcia, what are the chances for a new referendum in Scotland (especially since the EU more or less openly invited you to join them) and what do you think the results would be? What seems to be the local reaction?

Thank you

(I'm sorry for your distress, here in Europe we're all still confused and shocked. You have a very beautiful country, btw)

Those who voted Yes for an independent Scotland in September 2014 have been shouting about a second referendum ever since then, and so they are now clamouring for it even more loudly now. I voted No to Scottish Independence and I voted to remain in the EU. In both cases we benefit from the pooling and sharing of resources, and I cannot understand why Scottish Nationalists fail to see that it is really just a matter of scale. If it makes sense to them to stay within the larger political, economic and cultural grouping that is the EU then why not want to stay within the smaller political, economic and cultural grouping that is the UK. I asked a Yes voter that question tonight, and his reply was that Scotland has more in common with the social and political values of Europe than with the "little Englanders" south of the border. We are living on myths about ourselves, and creating more all the time. 38% of Scots voted to leave. That's a significant minority, and the campaign was, even though many deny it, about immigration. As I said to my friend earlier, we're not as lovely as we like to think we are.

Economically we benefit significantly from EU membership as we do from being part of the UK. It costs more to provide the same services in Scotland than in England because of the relative sparsity of our population and so on. All through the campaign for Scottish independence and ever since, those who want it, simply dismiss legitimate concerns about how it work as "project fear" and with other simplistic though-terminating cliches. The Independence referendum was, and continues to be, hugely divisive in Scotland and I am really fearful for our future.

I think many people who voted to leave didn't fully understand what the EU is about and the many different ways in which we benefit. No system is perfect, but it was so much better than this. I don't even think the politicians who campaigned for us to leave the EU thought that they would actually succeed, and I don't think they have a plan for what happens now.

It's disastrous.

Edited to add: I've not had the heart, or the time really, to watch much news today and I hadn't heard that the EU were open to us remaining a part of it. However, even if that were the case, which I am doubtful about, it would be enormously complicated, as Pluto has already said, and I don't know that it would even be possible.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 12:45 am

Meet the 75%: the young people who voted to remain in the EU

Chart

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman