Scotland seeks independent entry to the European Union

Page 5 of 7 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 8:11 pm

Now now folks, let's get along the divorce hasn't happened yet. Scotland may not choose the E.U.'s much larger assets over Britain's undying love...granted it's been an abusive love, but that's still love, right?

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 8:17 pm

QuillAlba wrote:

I may have different political views to you, but I'm not your enemy.

Glad to hear it. You can drop the tongue in cheek act now. Do I hear the sound of distant drums? Oh no, its just Chilcot ,making another enquiry.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 8:29 pm

SNP are an anti-war party, we voted against the iraq conflict.

I welcome Chillcot.

I have no act to drop.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

09 Jul 2016, 9:21 pm

I don't understand why you can't have trade relations without being apart of some political union, there are smaller independent countries. Do the Scottish feel they have to be ruled by someone? If not the Union then the EU superstate? If they want independence they can't go alone? Why would they sign up for tens of thousands of refugees and who knows who the EU might expand to now, the freedom of movement is just not a good idea.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 9:36 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I don't understand why you can't have trade relations without being apart of some political union, there are smaller independent countries. Do the Scottish feel they have to be ruled by someone? If not the Union then the EU superstate? If they want independence they can't go alone? Why would they sign up for tens of thousands of refugees and who knows who the EU might expand to now, the freedom of movement is just not a good idea.

It's a new global world, the fabric of trade is now world wide-- there is no "alone" anymore. You're either in the fabric or you're out, the world's resources have already been divvied up, that was last century's power struggle. Essentially we're all locked in now, firmly entrenched in a global trade hierarchy and there's nothing to be done-- the hierarchy always punishes malcontents, and there is no fighting the hierarchy, it has to crumble under it's own weight as all pyramids do. That's why the Brexit thing is humorous from a historical perspective: it's the army showing up to the battle 30 years late.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

09 Jul 2016, 10:36 pm

I would say that global hierarchy is currently collapsing

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 10:51 pm

Jacoby wrote:
I would say that global hierarchy is currently collapsing

Only to be replaced by something else. Say hello to the new boss - same as the old boss.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 4:56 am

Jacoby wrote:
I don't understand why you can't have trade relations without being apart of some political union, there are smaller independent countries. Do the Scottish feel they have to be ruled by someone?

Yes Jacoby, a woman to be more precise though, not any woman. :(

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 5:03 am

The Scots have always been Icelandic followers and often chase around their own tail in politics.

It’s not that we don’t want them or think they aren’t good enough in some British sense but they just can’t seem to work their way through negotiations without making sure they tread lightly around the table, then not pausing to think before they clear off without so much as a passing wave.

They usually mock our island status whilst steering their backs into creating a mocking trapeze artist who wants to come down but is to afraid to take the lions hand and instead wants to leap onto the lions share and in this case, come away with an empty prize.

All I know is that Farage amongst many others, want us to have back our border controls and not give in to the political frying pan that is Brussels in a frenzy.

I Passionately want Scotland to stand proud amongst us and, relish those Fjords with us.

You want access to the single market? Well, we all want that. However I still say that it is in our nations nations interests, that we co-exist and not to berate ourselves, and not to confuse realism with far sighted resolutions over politics and further heated democratics.

We need to combine all our national interests and stick together. :heart: United we stand, divided we fall.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 10:28 am

Empathy wrote:
It’s not that we don’t want them or think they aren’t good enough in some British sense but they just can’t seem to work their way through negotiations without making sure they tread lightly around the table, then not pausing to think before they clear off without so much as a passing wave.

Hmm, I don't know about the Scots, but you did an excellent job explaining Europe's opinion of the British at the moment.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 11:45 am

Aristophanes wrote:
Empathy wrote:

Hmm, I don't know about the Scots, but you did an excellent job explaining Europe's opinion of the British at the moment.

Yes,that's what I was thinking as well.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2016, 2:01 pm

:arrow: Indyref2 will be held if Brexit talks fail

SNP Westminster leader Angus Robertson. Picture: PA Wire

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 9:14 am

pluto wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
Empathy wrote:

Yes, that's what I was thinking as well.

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. Wisdom in these cases usually start with the first rule of prophecy. :D

Passion and politics rarely mix as a starter or mains. Does this mean I've earnt my W.P pedigree?

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 11:19 am

Poll results found 71 per cent of people in Germany, 61 per cent of people in France and 67 per cent of people in Denmark were in favour of an independent Scotland staying in the European Union. There was also majority support for an independent Scotland in Europe in Finland and Sweden.

Quote:
:arrow: In the UK, backing for an independent Scotland in the EU was 41 per cent compared to 29 per cent against.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2016, 3:10 pm

Empathy wrote:
pluto wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
Empathy wrote:

Yes, that's what I was thinking as well.

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. Wisdom in these cases usually start with the first rule of prophecy. :D

Passion and politics rarely mix as a starter or mains. Does this mean I've earnt my W.P pedigree?

I think we can all relate to a wish professed by Scotland's national poet Robert Burns :
"O, wad some Power the giftie gie us. To see oursels as others see us! It wad frae monie a blunder free us,An' foolish notion" :)

We've always got Andy Murray to make everyone proud of being British,although he did praise David Cameron which perhaps comes under the 'foolish notion' heading.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2016, 3:19 pm

pluto wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:

We've always got Andy Murray to make everyone proud of being British, although he did praise David Cameron which perhaps comes under the 'foolish notion' heading.

I heard that Murray was stepping down for a while to fulfill newer obligations.. tennis gives me island jaundice.
If there was a new designer tartan for a Murray kilt I may pause a kilter longer.. than usual.

Ronnie O' Sullivan, who brought out a book a while back.. should still be promoted. Image

I always keep my eye on the ball, as I'm a big snooker fan.