Scotland seeks independent entry to the European Union

Page 3 of 7 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

01 Jul 2016, 11:46 am

TomS wrote:
But the nordic countries do everything better don't they? Obama thinks so anyway.

http://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2016-05-13/obama-to-welcome-nordic-leaders-to-the-white-house

doing pretty bad right now, only Norway has any hope and that's because they're not in the EU and a total resource economy

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 12:08 pm

hurtloam wrote:
Oh my dears, this isn't about the EU. Scottish nationalists want to sever ties with England. They just don't like the English. I'm English amd I went to school in central Scotland and suffered a lot of racism and prejudice for the way I talked. Not all Scottish people are like that, but the ones who hate the English, really, really hate the English.

Could there be Scots alive today that have not reconciled themselves to the outcome of the Battle of Culloden?

TomS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Jul 2016, 1:15 pm

Empathy wrote:
TomS wrote:
Wait... Scotland is attached to England right? Its not an Island like Wales?

:wink:

By the way; Wales is part of the U.k and created the N.H.S. It's only Ireland that is separate from us; and I think its the Republic of Ireland that is part of the Euro and in the E.U. 8)

Thankyou, but I have to admit I was joking. I like to play the dum american sometimes for fun. Its amazing how readily people accept it. :mrgreen: But I did try and signal it with the winkie.

But I do not know what the N.H.S. is.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 4:26 pm

TomS wrote:
Empathy wrote:
TomS wrote:
Wait... Scotland is attached to England right? Its not an Island like Wales?

:wink:

By the way; Wales is part of the U.k and created the N.H.S. It's only Ireland that is separate from us; and I think its the Republic of Ireland that is part of the Euro and in the E.U. 8)

Thankyou, but I have to admit I was joking. I like to play the dum american sometimes for fun. Its amazing how readily people accept it. :mrgreen: But I did try and signal it with the winkie.

But I do not know what the N.H.S. is.

I am pretty sure that the N.H.S. is the "national health service". But this Yank could be wrong about that.

But its dumb to "pretend to be dumb" about the complex geopolitics of the British Isles to strangers on the Net because so many folks really dont know the differences between "England", "Britain", and the "U.K" and use the terms interchangeably (which is highly inaccurate).

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 5:07 pm

Obviously England is it's own country in the commonwealth, but I use British and U.K. interchangeably because my understanding is that the full name is: "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". If I'm wrong on that usage, please correct me.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 5:14 pm

I would say to that; whoever laughs hardest usually ends up crying most.
For anyone who doesn't know; I'm very familiar with the land of Wales; as I'm a quarter welsh and find it amazing that they have finally made it into the quarter finals after 24 years. Pleased for them. 3/1 to Wales. :lol:

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 5:23 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Obviously England is it's own country in the commonwealth, but I use British and U.K. interchangeably because my understanding is that the full name s: "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". If I'm wrong on that usage, please correct me.

The United Kingdom is England Ireland Scotland Wales; part of the four sovereign nation's that her majesty reigns over. Heirs to the throne usually use Wales as a second title; because they can't rule alongside a reigning monarch. Southern Ireland are in the E.U.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 5:36 pm

Only posh people say Great Britain and Northern Ireland territories; some of us just say Royal Britannia; or use really old pre war slang like Old Blighty for Englanders only; which I believe had something to do with the Blitz.

(Posted by phone).

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 6:47 pm

Empathy wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
Obviously England is it's own country in the commonwealth, but I use British and U.K. interchangeably because my understanding is that the full name s: "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". If I'm wrong on that usage, please correct me.

The United Kingdom is England Ireland Scotland Wales; part of the four sovereign nation's that her majesty reigns over. Heirs to the throne usually use Wales as a second title; because they can't rule alongside a reigning monarch. Southern Ireland are in the E.U.

We should just clarify that only Northern Ireland is part of the UK of course as Aristophanes stated and all UK
citizens are officially British (although some people prefer to call themselves as English,Scottish etc).
The Republic of Ireland,although our closest partners in the EU for the moment,is entirely its own country with no connection to the Queen or the British Commonwealth.Technically the heir to the British throne is in Scotland officially titled the Duke Of Rothesay,although most people still refer to the Prince Of Wales.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 12:01 am

Empathy wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:

You apparently have a death wish, and want to die at the hands of the IRA!

Its not "Ireland". Its just northern Ireland that is part of the UK. The rest of Ireland won independence from the UK decades ago. Lol!

Just to clear things up:

"Britain" is a big rock in the ocean. A physical island landmass that happens to contain Scotland, England, and Wales.

"The United Kingdom" is the name of a political entity: a nationstate that is composed of England,Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland (all of Britain, and a piece of the physical island called "Ireland").

The Republic of Ireland (southern Ireland) is a separate independent country from the UK and occupies all of Ireland south of Northern Ireland.

Citizens of the United Kingdom (strictly speaking) should be called "United Kingdomites", but that's too much of mouthful so everyone just calls citizens of the UK "British" even though they may come from Northern Ireland, or the Isle of Man or some other place not on the actual island of "Britain".

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 12:14 am

Ok, all this clarification has just confused me...I'm just going to call it "that belligerent island in the Atlantic"-- of course the English will claim that's Iceland after the Euro round of 16.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 2:47 am

This morning we all want to be Welsh,after Wales amazing performance in the football Euro Championships :).

If anyone can take further points of clarification "Britain" is used as a short form for both the island of "Great Britain" and for "The UK of Great Britain and Northern ireland". The name Great came into use to distinguish it from
Brittany in France 'little Britain' - so called after so many ancient Celts/Britons settled there.The Isle of Man is not actually part of the UK but is a British crown dependency with its own government and laws.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 4:21 am

Charm is often used as token ignorance in these forum debates isn't it?

I know people are somewhat sore at the result, but the ones who know about their country can offer the correct narrative and those who don't, actually don't live there.
Pluto, you are from Scotland, so you know about your heir to whatever castles and monastries you have up there, and wasn't he the first Duke of Rothesay? anyway, Princes are often defered to Wales as I said, a second joint rulership.
Brittany was unted with France in 1532. No longer dubbed "Little Britain" from the Roman occupation. They still sometimes call it that though.
Everyone was at the Somme yesterday and the night before, celebrating 100 years since the battle. Gibraltar is also ruled by the Prince of Spain, but may soon be susceptible to Spanish law and not joint sovereignty. 96% of their vote was remain, which is understandable.
I hope they can forgive us. If not, "viva la Spania!'

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 7:54 am

All I know is that the individual countries in the U.K. have their own rivalries and long history of hating on each other-- it's no surprise the entire island wants out of the E.U., it can barely get along with itself.

edit: don't go too aspie info-dump on that statement, it's a joke on history-- obviously you guys get along decently now.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 9:17 am

Aristophanes wrote:
All I know is that the individual countries in the U.K. have their own rivalries and long history of hating on each other-- it's no surprise the entire island wants out of the E.U., it can barely get along with itself.

edit: don't go too aspie info-dump on that statement, it's a joke on history-- obviously you guys get along decently now.

Well...

I think that what you're trying to say is this:

The most popular movie rental in England in the coming weeks is gonna be "Gone With Wind".

And the most popular movie rental in Scotland in the coming weeks is gonna be "The Free State of Jones".

GWTW glorifies a breakaway region breaking away, and the FSOJ glorifies a smaller region breaking away from that same breakaway region to rejoin the larger original union. :lol:

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 9:34 am

naturalplastic wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:

Well...

I think that what you're trying to say is this:

The most popular movie rental in England in the coming weeks is gonna be "Gone With Wind".

And the most popular movie rental in Scotland in the coming weeks is gonna be "The Free State of Jones".

GWTW glorifies a breakaway region breaking away, and the FSOJ glorifies a smaller region breaking away from that same breakaway region to rejoin the larger original union. :lol:

Yes, this is sooo f'ing convoluted.