Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

08 Jul 2016, 11:57 am

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2016, 12:23 pm

I'd like to see some figures on how race correllates to being shot by police. The media makes it seem that African Americans are disproportionately targeted, and that police are more likely to take extreme actions with them, but I wonder how much of this is sensationalism and how much is actual fact.

I don't want to say that black people are being disproportionately targeted by American police, but I also don't want to say that they aren't being disproportionately targeted by American police. My knowledge of the situation is quite limited, and all I know about it pretty much comes straight from the media. It also doesn't help that I live quite far from the situation, being that I'm in a small city in northern Alberta with vastly different demographics than most of the United States.

Now, I will say that racism is a huge problem right now, not just in the United States, but all around the world, even in Canada. Racism is nothing new though, we just happen to hear more about the happenings in other countries nowadays thanks to globalization. Now of course, that doesn't make it right, but things are what they are.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2016, 8:43 pm

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Now, I will say that racism is a huge problem right now, not just in the United States, but all around the world, even in Canada. Racism is nothing new though, we just happen to hear more about the happenings in other countries nowadays thanks to globalization. Now of course, that doesn't make it right, but things are what they are.

Prejudice and tolerance is a big problem.

I'd like to see snoop dog apologise to people with disabilities as he often uses the r-word as a slur but can't see how it affects them in the same way as fellow black people slighted by racial slurs.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2016, 10:29 pm

Quote:
Many studies have shown that police officers’ overtly racist attitudes and implicit bias toward black people increase the likelihood they they will shoot unarmed black suspects (pdf). But we’ve also witnessed many instances in which unlawfully armed white people have escaped police violence in ways that even unarmed (or lawfully armed) black people have not. In 2014, 18-year-old Steve Lohner carried a loaded shotgun as he walked down an Aurora, Colo., street and refused to show police identification. He walked away with a citation. That same year, John Crawford III, a 22-year-old man living in Dayton, Ohio, was gunned down by police in a Wal-Mart as he carried a BB gun that he’d picked up off a shelf. Tamir Rice, a 12-year-old boy living in Cleveland, was killed over a BB gun. Ohio is also an open-carry state. These are not isolated incidents.

https://www.theroot.com/articles/cultur ... bear-arms/

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jul 2016, 12:30 am

Castile was pulled over because he matched the description of an armed robbery suspect, not because of a broken taillight. And he didn't have a CCL.

https://theconservativetreehouse.com/20 ... -killings/

Safe to say that his girlfriend cannot be trusted to tell the truth about anything.

When something awful happens I try to wait at least 24 hours before drawing conclusions about it. Early reports are always incomplete and often flat wrong.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 12:51 am

luan78zao wrote:
Castile was pulled over because he matched the description of an armed robbery suspect, not because of a broken taillight. And he didn't have a CCL.

Safe to say that his girlfriend cannot be trusted to tell the truth about anything.

She is probably telling the truth.

Likely the officer told them that.

He is not going to say, "Are you two the armed robbers we're looking for?".

Last edited by LoveNotHate on 09 Jul 2016, 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 12:56 am

luan78zao wrote:

When something awful happens I try to wait at least 24 hours before drawing conclusions about it. Early reports are always incomplete and often flat wrong.

Does your link have a source saying he did not have a gun permit? I saw sources for some of the statements in the article, but not for this one.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 1:07 am

I can not tell you how I saw red when I saw that video of that poor Minnesota man dying, with his arm twisted around in an unnatural position, his little girl screaming and crying, and his fiance forbidden to hold him in his last moments. My wife and I are planning to attend a demonstration held in memory of that man in downtown Spokane, Saturday.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 1:10 am

luan78zao wrote:

And you think that man was guilty of robbery? His personal record has been made public, and he has never been arrested, let alone never been convicted of anything, and has been working steadily since his teen years. Won't you even give this the benefit of the doubt that he had been shot by a cop who just assumed he was guilty and dangerous because he was black?!?!

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 1:14 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
luan78zao wrote:

And you think that man was guilty of robbery? His personal record has been made public, and he has never been arrested, let alone never been convicted of anything, and has been working steadily since his teen years. Won't you even give this the benefit of the doubt that he had been shot by a cop who just assumed he was guilty and dangerous because he was black?!?!

I agree. These conservative talking points are cynical and quite frankly callous. A man who was minding his own business, working, trying to live his life, and raise a family is dead because of effed up law enforcement practices at least. Shot, in front of a 4-year old girl and his fiancee.

The conservative approach to this recurrent problem to seems to be to bury their heads in the sand.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 1:26 am

beneficii wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
luan78zao wrote:

I agree. These conservative talking points are cynical and quite frankly callous. A man who was minding his own business, working, trying to live his life, and raise a family is dead because of effed up law enforcement practices at least. Shot, in front of a 4-year old girl and his fiancee.

The conservative approach to this recurrent problem to seems to be to bury their heads in the sand.

I think the conservative response tells us more about said conservatives than anything else.

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jul 2016, 1:46 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
And you think that man was guilty of robbery?

No, unlike some, I don't claim omniscience.

Quote:
His personal record has been made public, and he has never been arrested, let alone never been convicted of anything, and has been working steadily since his teen years.

How much of that did the cop know?

Quote:
Won't you even give this the benefit of the doubt that he had been shot by a cop who just assumed he was guilty and dangerous because he was black?!?!

By "give the benefit of the doubt" you mean "conclude, as I have." No, I try not to leap to conclusions unsupported by evidence.

I don't know what happened in the three minutes before the video started. Since you seem to be certain that you do know, please tell me: why did Castile have a handgun on his lap? I used to own a pistol. Sometimes I took it on road trips, in case I ended up in a bad area. But I never felt the need to drive around with a firearm on my lap.

I'll be glad when all police officers wear body cameras. It'll protect them as well as us.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 1:58 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
His personal record has been made public, and he has never been arrested ... let alone never been convicted of anything,

Here is a listing of his past criminal charges and their outcomes ....

1. Violate instr permit – dismissed
2. No proof of insurance – guilty
3. Basic speed – guilty
4. Driving after suspension – dismissed
5. No proof of insurance – guilty
6. No seat belt use – dismissed
7. No proof of insurance – guilty
8. Impede traffic – dismissed
9. No Minnesota driver’s license – amended charge guilty
10. Driving after suspension of driver’s license – Convicted
11. No proof of insurance – dismissed
12. No proof of insurance – convicted
13. Driving after revocation – Dismissed
15. Driving after suspension – Dismissed
16. No proof of insurance – guilty
17. Speeding – dismissed
18. Driver’s license – failure to obtain new – dismissed
19. Muffler required – dismissed
20. Driving after revocation – guilty
21. Operation of motor vehicle after loss of license prohibited – dismissed
22. Dangerous public road/water – convicted
23. Driving after revocation – convicted
24. No proof of insurance – dismissed
25. Driving after revocation – convicted
26. Seat belt violation – dismissed
27. Driving after revocation – convicted
28. Proof on insurance – Dismissed
29. Driving after revocation – convicted
30. Driving after revocation – convicted
31. Driving after revocation – convicted
32. Seat belt required – convicted
33. Seat belt required – convicted
34. Driving after revocation – convicted
35. Driving after revocation – convicted
36. Driving after revocation – convicted
37. Driving after revocation – convicted
38. Driving after revocation – convicted
39. Driving after revocation – convicted
40. Stop/stand/park vehicle at any place where official signs prohibit stopping – convicted
41. Expired registration – dismissed
42. Snow emergency parking restrictions – convicted
43. Stop/stand/park vehicle on any street/ally, at the same location, for more than 48 consecutive hours – convicted
44. Abandon motor vehicle on any public/private property without consent – convicted
45. Stop/stand/park vehicle on any street/ally, at the same location, for more than 48 consecutive hours – convicted
46. Driving after suspension – guilty
47. Driving after revocation – convicted
48. Display altered/fictitious insurance card – dismissed
49. Driving after revocation – convicted
50. Seat belt required – dismissed
51. Uninsured vehicle – convicted
52. Driving after revocation – dismissed
53. Seat belt required – dismissed
54. Impromper display original plate – convicted
55. Seat belt required – convicted

http://heavy.com/news/2016/07/philando- ... s-diamond/

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 2:04 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
His personal record has been made public, and he has never been arrested

Here is a listing of his past criminal charges and their outcomes ....

1. Violate instr permit – dismissed
2. No proof of insurance – guilty
3. Basic speed – guilty
4. Driving after suspension – dismissed
5. No proof of insurance – guilty
6. No seat belt use – dismissed
7. No proof of insurance – guilty
8. Impede traffic – dismissed
9. No Minnesota driver’s license – amended charge guilty
10. Driving after suspension of driver’s license – Convicted
11. No proof of insurance – dismissed
12. No proof of insurance – convicted
13. Driving after revocation – Dismissed
15. Driving after suspension – Dismissed
16. No proof of insurance – guilty
17. Speeding – dismissed
18. Driver’s license – failure to obtain new – dismissed
19. Muffler required – dismissed
20. Driving after revocation – guilty
21. Operation of motor vehicle after loss of license prohibited – dismissed
22. Dangerous public road/water – convicted
23. Driving after revocation – convicted
24. No proof of insurance – dismissed
25. Driving after revocation – convicted
26. Seat belt violation – dismissed
27. Driving after revocation – convicted
28. Proof on insurance – Dismissed
29. Driving after revocation – convicted
30. Driving after revocation – convicted
31. Driving after revocation – convicted
32. Seat belt required – convicted
33. Seat belt required – convicted
34. Driving after revocation – convicted
35. Driving after revocation – convicted
36. Driving after revocation – convicted
37. Driving after revocation – convicted
38. Driving after revocation – convicted
39. Driving after revocation – convicted
40. Stop/stand/park vehicle at any place where official signs prohibit stopping – convicted
41. Expired registration – dismissed
42. Snow emergency parking restrictions – convicted
43. Stop/stand/park vehicle on any street/ally, at the same location, for more than 48 consecutive hours – convicted
44. Abandon motor vehicle on any public/private property without consent – convicted
45. Stop/stand/park vehicle on any street/ally, at the same location, for more than 48 consecutive hours – convicted
46. Driving after suspension – guilty
47. Driving after revocation – convicted
48. Display altered/fictitious insurance card – dismissed
49. Driving after revocation – convicted
50. Seat belt required – dismissed
51. Uninsured vehicle – convicted
52. Driving after revocation – dismissed
53. Seat belt required – dismissed
54. Impromper display original plate – convicted
55. Seat belt required – convicted

http://heavy.com/news/2016/07/philando- ... s-diamond/

Of course, traffic violations, matters with his licence, and (perhaps worst of all) driving without a muffler makes him such a dangerous individual!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 2:06 am

luan78zao wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
And you think that man was guilty of robbery?

No, unlike some, I don't claim omniscience.

Quote:
His personal record has been made public, and he has never been arrested, let alone never been convicted of anything, and has been working steadily since his teen years.

How much of that did the cop know?

Quote:
Won't you even give this the benefit of the doubt that he had been shot by a cop who just assumed he was guilty and dangerous because he was black?!?!

By "give the benefit of the doubt" you mean "conclude, as I have." No, I try not to leap to conclusions unsupported by evidence.

I don't know what happened in the three minutes before the video started. Since you seem to be certain that you do know, please tell me: why did Castile have a handgun on his lap? I used to own a pistol. Sometimes I took it on road trips, in case I ended up in a bad area. But I never felt the need to drive around with a firearm on my lap.

I'll be glad when all police officers wear body cameras. It'll protect them as well as us.

Castile has to have had coming with you, doesn't he?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2016, 2:11 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Of course, traffic violations, matters with his licence, and (perhaps worst of all) driving without a muffler makes him such a dangerous individual!

He wasn't killed because, "he was a dangerous individual".

The cops says he was killed, because he didn't follow directions.

His long rap sheet is evidence that Mr. Castile doesn't do as he's told. How many times have judges and cops told this guy about the law only see to him break yet again?