Scotland seeks independent entry to the European Union

Page 1 of 7 [ 102 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 9:27 am

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon to lobby EU members to support Scotland's bid to remain

:arrow: She's also seeking a second independence referendum after Scotland voted "Remain" by a 62% to 38% margin.

As I've suggested before, perhaps Scotland can remain both part of the UK and the EU following the precedent established by the defunct Soviet Union which had several of its "republics" admitted as members of the UN General Assembly even though they were intrinsically part of the USSR at the time. No matter what happens, the Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times" seems to be manifest in all the European countries concerned, as well as in the upcoming US election.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 9:47 am

thoughtbeast wrote:
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon to lobby EU members to support Scotland's bid to remain

:arrow: She's also seeking a second independence referendum after Scotland voted "Remain" by a 62% to 38% margin.

As I've suggested before, perhaps Scotland can remain both part of the UK and the EU following the precedent established by the defunct Soviet Union which had several of its "republics" admitted as members of the UN General Assembly even though they were intrinsically part of the USSR at the time. No matter what happens, the Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times" seems to be manifest in all the European countries concerned, as well as in the upcoming US election.

The soviet republics (Ukraine, and Belarus, I believe) that were in the U.N. as seperate entities from the U.S.S.R. during the cold war had that status at the same time that the whole U.S.S.R. was also in the U.N.. So its not quite analogous. If Moscow had left the UN in a huff, but had allowed Ukraine and Belarus to stay in the U.N. then that would be analogous to what you're suggesting, but that isn't what happened.

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 12:08 pm

thoughtbeast wrote:

Why would they want to do that? They have already been working towards independence from the UK, for a decade. Now they have a good reason to vote for it. They will just have another independence referendum. The only real question will be, will they have boarder control or not.

Brexit: Nicola Sturgeon says second Scottish independence vote 'highly likely'

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 12:09 pm

Quote:
The soviet republics (Ukraine, and Belarus, I believe) that were in the U.N. as seperate entities from the U.S.S.R. during the cold war had that status at the same time that the whole U.S.S.R. was also in the U.N.. So its not quite analogous. If Moscow had left the UN in a huff, but had allowed Ukraine and Belarus to stay in the U.N. then that would be analogous to what you're suggesting, but that isn't what happened.

:salut: Good point!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 4:37 pm

0regonGuy wrote:
thoughtbeast wrote:

Why would they want to do that? They have already been working towards independence from the UK, for a decade. Now they have a good reason to vote for it. They will just have another independence referendum. The only real question will be, will they have boarder control or not.

Brexit: Nicola Sturgeon says second Scottish independence vote 'highly likely'

Sounds like the perfect move to finally cut the strings with London.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

26 Jun 2016, 8:59 am

Scotland would be stupid to seek independence so they could can join the EU, they hate being ruled by the English so much they'd rather be ruled by the Germans and Turks. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me, it's a dying institution so if that is the whole reason for independence then I would really question the intelligence of such a move.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 9:08 am

Quote:
they hate being ruled by the English so much they'd rather be ruled by the Germans and Turks.

:arrow: Turkey isn't a member of the EU and isn't likely to become a member any time soon, if ever

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

26 Jun 2016, 9:33 am

thoughtbeast wrote:
Quote:
they hate being ruled by the English so much they'd rather be ruled by the Germans and Turks.

:arrow: Turkey isn't a member of the EU and isn't likely to become a member any time soon, if ever

There have been a lot of promises made to the Turks about EU membership and especially VISA free travel, they have all the leverage controlling the gates of immigration as well as a significant population already living Europe plus they've been giving them huge sums of cash over this whole refugee crisis. I think the EU is in a state of imminent collapse no matter what at this point, who knows what what Merkel will do to save it.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 9:53 am

Oh my dears, this isn't about the EU. Scottish nationalists want to sever ties with England. They just don't like the English. I'm English amd I went to school in central Scotland and suffered a lot of racism and prejudice for the way I talked. Not all Scottish people are like that, but the ones who hate the English, really, really hate the English.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

TomS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2016, 7:55 am

Some of this is post vote hysteria. Nicola Sturgeon is exactly 1 opinion.

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 1:12 am

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 3:01 pm

Here's the problem:

Scotland cannot claim successor status in the EU in the event of Brexit, because British membership becomes a nullity and there is nothing to succeed to. Accordingly, Scotland would have to seek admission as a new member, which means that it would have to accede to the Euro. But Scotland does not have monetary policy authority (that is not a devolved power), and so they cannot bring their currency into the Euro--they have nothing with which to monetize.

Furthermore, the presence of an EU state on Great Britain means that the rump of the United Kingdom would have to set up a hard border, since EU citizens would have free access to Scotland.

Scottish membership of the EU can only come into being if Scotland is not a sub-national constituent country of the United Kingdom.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 7:38 am

Nicola Sturgeon secures meeting with Jean-Claude Juncker

‘no big obstacle’ to an independent Scotland joining the EU

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 9:40 am

The important word there is, "independent."

If Scotland becomes a sovereign nation state, it can do as it likes. But I maintain that it cannot both remain part of the United Kingdom and simultaneously seek membership in the EU.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 10:00 am

This is a scam involving zero economics whilst playing with people's trust and feelings.
Not even a half baked m.p would mix up politics with a double scottish referendum.
SNP is the euivalent of BNP which got wiped out a number of years ago, only this time a woman is involved to 'unite more Scottish m.ps. ' She, doesn't get or appreciate the narrative of results, which clearly show the U.K as a whole.
Someone who can't lose in her own cabinet will lose and embarass more of her constituents and wider public. First she wanted out of the U.K, now she wants to stay in the single currency for her own P.M gain. What on earth is she playing at? Anyway, she won't be getting ay more favours any time soon, as Tusk told her so.
I've heard of Bloody Queen Mary, but she could seriously be Bloody Queen Sturgeon, and a Scottish thorn in the side of good willed voters.
Basic concepts would argue for logistics and narrative based upon everyone's fair right to vote.
They've had two now so please just shut up and move on with the public momentum..and stop behaving like a Celtic avenger and uncivil outsider hoping to corner England and Wales and parts of Ireland just for power or glory. The woman has an arched brow and Scottish nerve that needs severing. She hardly instils peace, instead rebellion.
I personally wouldn't want to see the Scottish people down on their luck and fighting a corrupt E.U because they elected a leader who wants to cripple her people in a bid, to test her stupid theory about how much greater she would be independent too.
Salmond is her best friend and midnight lover. We all know that over here.. there's no more room for the E.U so why is it, she has to invite another elephant in the room to indulge the latest feast and hunger games?