Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 12:00 am

Pepe the frog goes back to 2005, though he didn't heat up as a meme until more recently. Allegedly, chan trolls decided to make him racist in order to make him toxic to "normies", who they didn't like appropriating "their" meme. This stuff is all out there with a simple search, it's not obscure.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

17 Sep 2016, 8:43 am

The Clinton campaign is completely out of touch to be attacking a cartoon frog as some 'symbol of white supremacy'

what disastrous week for Hillary

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 3:39 pm

Jacoby wrote:
The Clinton campaign is completely out of touch to be attacking a cartoon frog as some 'symbol of white supremacy'

But Pepe is a symbol of the Alt Right, no matter how recently that's been the case. Remember, the Swastika was an ancient holy symbol around the globe till the Nazis made it a representation of their ideology.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 4:00 pm

Pepe has been adopted as the mascot of adamant racists. Yes, really.
http://www.dailystormer.com/media-panic ... our-memes/

But, we're discussing a cartoon frog, not of life-and-death importance. I'm saying this as the person, who started the thread.

I thought it was a cutesy coincidence, that he is also known as cuck.

I recognize the value of entertainment.

But, we're not improving our lives, or whatever subset we identify with.

There are some sayings called the social bargain, social contract, dignity of labor.

To me, Pepe is some undeserved snark or a hollow gimmick. How has he earned his celebrity status, in any way.

And, considering the crimes Hillary has been accused of, are we going to scapegoat a cartoon?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 5:07 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

But Pepe is a symbol of the Alt Right, no matter how recently that's been the case. Remember, the Swastika was an ancient holy symbol around the globe till the Nazis made it a representation of their ideology.

it's not a symbol of anything, it's just a smirking or frowning cartoon frog that can be redrawn by anyone

like I said, out of touch! What do you think Pepe symbolizes? Calling 4chan a white supremacist shows a lack of understanding of internet culture.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 5:34 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

it's not a symbol of anything, it's just a smirking or frowning cartoon frog that can be redrawn by anyone

like I said, out of touch! What do you think Pepe symbolizes? Calling 4chan a white supremacist shows a lack of understanding of internet culture.

And the swastika is still a holy symbol to Hindus, but that doesn't make it any less important to white supremacists. Don't fault liberals for the Alt Right corrupting Pepe's image.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 6:46 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

And the swastika is still a holy symbol to Hindus, but that doesn't make it any less important to white supremacists. Don't fault liberals for the Alt Right corrupting Pepe's image.

it's a false equivalence, guilt by association, a presumption of guilt. What is offensive about this frog cartoon in a vacuum? It's only because they named a group of people the 'alt-right' who are bad because they say they are bad, what great evil have they done? 4chan just isn't something I expect older people to understand it seems.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2016, 7:44 pm

Jacoby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Jacoby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Jacoby wrote:

it's a false equivalence, guilt by association, a presumption of guilt. What is offensive about this frog cartoon in a vacuum? It's only because they named a group of people the 'alt-right' who are bad because they say they are bad, what great evil have they done? 4chan just isn't something I expect older people to understand it seems.

Deplorable - - yes, deplorable - - people are using the image of Pepe, so slam them for it. Sure, not everyone who has used that frog image are racists, but it's become commonly used by the Alt Right. And what have racists of today done? Nothing too widespread yet, and I'd like to keep it like that. What history shows is, when people start using ugly language directed at someone else, you ignore them at your own risk.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 12:39 pm

Like the saying about the actions that follow words.

One of my warnings for white and nominally-white people, if I am to be guilty of a reductio ad hilterum, is that WW2 Germans were not living in an Earthly paradise.

Learn this historical lesson, if you will.

One German was shot-at for stealing apples, ate mainly bread, and some peanut butter turned rancid, in the bottom of Allied drums. She went permanently-deaf, from a treatable condition. They would use the complaint box patriotically, in good faith, and never be heard from again.

That was the treatment, of Germans.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2016, 5:27 pm

friedmacguffins wrote:
Like the saying about the actions that follow words.

One of my warnings for white and nominally-white people, if I am to be guilty of a reductio ad hilterum, is that WW2 Germans were not living in an Earthly paradise.

Learn this historical lesson, if you will.

One German was shot-at for stealing apples, ate mainly bread, and some peanut butter turned rancid, in the bottom of Allied drums. She went permanently-deaf, from a treatable condition. They would use the complaint box patriotically, in good faith, and never be heard from again.

That was the treatment, of Germans.

Forgive me, but I'm a little lost here. Was the German shot by the allies for stealing apples, or was it the Nazis?
And in either case... what's the lesson here?