South Carolina Elementry School Shooting

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 6:48 pm

School Shooter Killed Father Before Rampage That Left 3 Injured: Authorities

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2016, 10:58 pm

Yet another one. How do these homicidal minors get access to weaponry? Is there no legal requirement for adults in the USA to store firearms securely, as there is in other Western countries? It's shocking how many children have been shot over the past decade or so because they happened to be at school. There are a lot of gun licences here, though not one school shooting has ever happened in New Zealand. (Firearms must be kept in locked cabinets by the people licensed to own them, and licences have to be issued by the police, not by gunshop owners). Of course some criminals here illegally possess guns too, though they don't shoot up children either.

It is so sad, what a tragic needless waste of young lives.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 12:18 am

Australia's been relatively free of gun related crime since introducing tougher gun ownership laws banning the importation of all semi-automatic and automatic rifles and shotguns. Perhaps the US could learn from us? never too late

Yet another teenage shooter, how do kids get access to high powered weapons?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 1:52 am

B19 wrote:
Yet another one. How do these homicidal minors get access to weaponry? Is there no legal requirement for adults in the USA to store firearms securely, as there is in other Western countries? It's shocking how many children have been shot over the past decade or so because they happened to be at school. There are a lot of gun licences here, though not one school shooting has ever happened in New Zealand. (Firearms must be kept in locked cabinets by the people licensed to own them, and licences have to be issued by the police, not by gunshop owners). Of course some criminals here illegally possess guns too, though they don't shoot up children either.

It is so sad, what a tragic needless waste of young lives.

As of 2014 in only 13 states and the District of Columbia can parents be held criminally libel for failing to store guns safely

In rural areas like where this incident occurs guns are as ubiquitous as farm tractors. Boys are taught how to use them at young age, it is a way of life.

In 30 states, a child can still legally own a rifle or shotgun

Quote:
If dad wants to give his son a rifle or a shotgun on his 13th or 14th birthday, he's pretty much free to do that in most states

To buy a gun over the internet from gun dealer requires a background check, but there are no regulations for person to person exchanges.

In the cities if you are a teen guns are accessible if you have the right cash or drugs.

Even in locales where it is illegal not to secure guns the law will not be invoked unless the gun is used to commit a publicized crime.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 9:12 am

It's not just boys----I was given my first gun, when I was 12.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2016, 9:44 am

If I did not have motor coordination issues I would have carried.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2016, 1:44 pm

I'm just glad this was not a mass shooting like Sandy Hook.

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 5:57 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

ditto on that... but having looked at photos of Jesse that are online and the way he posed for them I would not be surprised if it comes out at some point that hes on the spectrum :( His facial expressions just screams spectrum to me.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2016, 6:19 pm

Tragic to hear that the six year old victim has died.

The perpetrator looks fairly ordinary to me here:
http://hollywoodlife.com/pics/south-car ... osborne-1/

(Apart from a large head, which is typically a feature of Fragile X Syndrome, not autism).

http://www.fraxa.org/fragile-x-syndrome/symptoms/

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 2:06 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

Jamie Brock is possibly why it wasn't

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2016, 6:56 pm

A few things the gun grabbers never, ever like to say --

In the hypothetical situation, that you found a loaded weapon, with a shooting still in progress, would you use it to protect life. Social conservatives call them victim disarmament zones.

How is the ban supposed to be effected, without the use of force. Would pacifists actually like to see your doors kicked-in, and do you really have anything gun collectors need or want.

Are you any more or less entitled to self defense, based on your social status. Larken Rose gives modernday examples of dictatorships.

Is the gun an example of private property, or on the public record.

Soulsparrer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Oct 2016, 10:31 pm

I guess the sad thing is that "copycat killers" who know that they can get on the news and feel important are probably influenced a lot by the news coverage of these stories.