Flight attendant says black woman doctor is not really a dr

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 11:08 am

http://www.someecards.com/life/workplac ... tor-plane/

A man needed assistance and the flight staff asked if there was a doctor on board. Tamika Cross, a black woman and OBGYN, volunteered her services, but the flight attendant told her condescendingly that they needed a real doctor. Dr. Cross tried to inform her of her specialty, but then the flight attendant started demanding her credentials and questioned why she had been in Detroit. A white man then volunteered as a doctor and the flight attendant did not question him, but simply brought him to treat the patient.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 11:13 am

In other news, racism is still a problem in America.

Believe it.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 1:26 pm

I wonder if anyone will argue that the flight atendant's behavior was reasonable because, statistically, a white man who claims to be a doctor is more likely to be telling the truth than a black woman.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 1:35 pm

Why would anybody lie about being a doctor in a situation like this?I'd have no problem believing her.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 1:52 pm

I think that kind of behavior is more about finding an efficiently hurtful way to be a dick to someone who happens to be a black woman that about helping the passenger in need of medical care, but I'm used to seeing some people always justifying all sorts of discriminatory behaviors, especially those which gratuitously help perpetuate segregation and widespread mutual hatred, so I speculated about the particular form this kind of reply could take.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 7:32 pm

I imagine Tamika Cross probably gets plenty of white patients who walk into her clinic take one look at her and then walk out.

Plenty of white folks would be feeling anxious before putting their health (or their kids) in the hands of an Asian or African American doctor.

This is going to take a couple of generations to get out of their system

racheypie666
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 7:46 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Unfortunately true. You should hear some of the things my grandparents say about black or asian doctors who have treated them. They act like it's OK because they're not saying it in an explicitly negative context, but no dice.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2016, 10:58 pm

What I find amazing is that there can be any progress at all against those attitudes in two generations or in two thousand. It'd seem most people are thoroughly committed in some way to making sure segregation and hatred among ethnic groups persist forever; they all seem to agree behaving any other way is some kind of betrayal and makes you extremely contemptible.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Oct 2016, 5:45 am

cyberdad wrote:
I imagine Tamika Cross probably gets plenty of white patients who walk into her clinic take one look at her and then walk out.

Plenty of white folks would be feeling anxious before putting their health (or their kids) in the hands of an Asian or African American doctor.

That sort of attitude would get people nowhere in the UK, where the vast majority of doctors appear to be of south east Asian descent. A doctor is a doctor, regardless of the colour of their skin or their genitalia.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Oct 2016, 5:50 am

Misslizard wrote:
Why would anybody lie about being a doctor in a situation like this?I'd have no problem believing her.

The simple fact is that people have and do lie about being doctors. The movie "Catch me if you can" was based on the exploits of a real man who variously pretended to be a doctor and an airline pilot. Simply Google "fake doctor" and I'm sure you'll find other examples of people claiming to be doctors, and even carrying out surgical procedures, when they are unqualified.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 9:31 am

Jute wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

The simple fact is that people have and do lie about being doctors. The movie "Catch me if you can" was based on the exploits of a real man who variously pretended to be a doctor and an airline pilot. Simply Google "fake doctor" and I'm sure you'll find other examples of people claiming to be doctors, and even carrying out surgical procedures, when they are unqualified.

Sure a few people are fakes,but the odds are more in favor of her being a real doc than a fraud.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 9:49 am

I've had a black doctor, a woman doctor and an Asian doctor. On more than one occasion. I never thought anything about it and neither did my parents.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 9:50 am

Misslizard wrote:
Why would anybody lie about being a doctor in a situation like this? I'd have no problem believing her.

I've read / heard-about MANY people lying about being a doctor----they do it for the prestige, they're driven by narcissism, they have a "savior complex" (or, whatever it's called)----and, when someone has a private practice, they do it for the money.

As for the OP article, IMO, there's a couple of factors, missing..... I'd LOVE to know the race of the flight attendant----often, blacks are WAAAAAY more tough on other blacks (racist), than whites are tough on blacks. Also, it's quite possible that the black doctor told the flight attendant that she was a RESIDENT (as it said, in the article), and THAT is what caused the flight attendant to react the way she did. Also, even though the black doctor said the white doctor hadn't shown the flight attendant any credentials, how does the black doctor know that the white doctor didn't, for instance, show them to ANOTHER flight attendant? Let's say the black doctor was toward the front of the plane, and the white doctor was in the back, he could've gotten out of his seat, ID in hand, showed it to the nearest attendant, and said, something like: "I'm a doctor" (showing his ID), and the attendant saying: "Oh, thankyou sir----go on up" (motioning to the front of the plane); then, when he gets to the front, he says: "The attendant, back there, sent me up". Because the black doctor was so angry, she might not have been aware of this----plus, she said she was keeping an eye on the sick man.

Also, the black doctor had an attitude----she said, something like, "believe it or not, they DO have doctors in Detroit"----people, sometimes, REFUSE to consider THEIR role, when something goes wrong; when someone is seemingly defensive, like this, it automatically puts others off.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2016, 10:14 am

Campin_Cat wrote:
Misslizard wrote:
Why would anybody lie about being a doctor in a situation like this? I'd have no problem believing her.

I've read / heard-about MANY people lying about being a doctor----they do it for the prestige, they're driven by narcissism, they have a "savior complex" (or, whatever it's called)----and, when someone has a private practice, they do it for the money.

As for the OP article, IMO, there's a couple of factors, missing..... I'd LOVE to know the race of the flight attendant----often, blacks are WAAAAAY more tough on other blacks (racist), than whites are tough on blacks. Also, it's quite possible that the black doctor told the flight attendant that she was a RESIDENT (as it said, in the article), and THAT is what caused the flight attendant to react the way she did. Also, even though the black doctor said the white doctor hadn't shown the flight attendant any credentials, how does the black doctor know that the white doctor didn't, for instance, show them to ANOTHER flight attendant? Let's say the black doctor was toward the front of the plane, and the white doctor was in the back, he could've gotten out of his seat, ID in hand, showed it to the nearest attendant, and said, something like: "I'm a doctor" (showing his ID), and the attendant saying: "Oh, thankyou sir----go on up" (motioning to the front of the plane); then, when he gets to the front, he says: "The attendant, back there, sent me up". Because the black doctor was so angry, she might not have been aware of this----plus, she said she was keeping an eye on the sick man.

Also, the black doctor had an attitude----she said, something like, "believe it or not, they DO have doctors in Detroit"----people, sometimes, REFUSE to consider THEIR role, when something goes wrong; when someone is seemingly defensive, like this, it automatically puts others off.

Eh,I've never met anyone that faked being a doctor,sure it happens.But the odds are still in her favor that she was a valid MD.Using the term "sweetie" was condescending,it was unprofessional.I don't like strangers addressing me so,that's more for close association.Maybe she had problems with a woman being a doctor.Where she was from shouldn't matter.Why would you even ask that?A more reasonable question would be "Where did you go to Med school?"
If it walks like a duck, and it sounds like a duck,it's a duck.
This was sexist and racist.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 4:00 pm

The stewardess was white, according to a report in the New York Times.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2016, 4:12 pm

She doesn't appear to be a doctor.

In Michigan, you have to pass your residency to even apply to practice medicine.

She's still in her residency.