Feds slap felony charges on journalists

Page 1 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 2:38 am

These were journalists/reporters covering the Inauguration Day protests. They are charged under the riot act and face up to 10 years in prison if convicted:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/ ... dit_is_fun

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 10:28 am

It's been hyperbole to apply the label "fascist" to Trump, but this is certainly a step in that direction.

I noticed that at least one of those Journalists will soon have all charges dropped.

Quote:
The Guardian learned of their arrests after reporting on Monday that the journalists Evan Engel of Vocativ and Alex Rubinstein of RT America had also been arrested and charged with felonies while covering the same unrest on Friday morning.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 10:37 am

It's obvious that Trump seeks to suppress the Press.

We have to watch this man.

I'm a moderate politically, with some conservative viewpoints.

Some of his ideas are good--but the man himself is treading in very dangerous territory in trying to do away with fundamental freedoms guaranteed under the Bill of Rights.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 11:41 am

You can get slapped with a felony just for reporting on a protest? What the f**k?

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 11:43 am

In fairness to Trump, the decisions here were made by DC police and prosecutors, not the President.

It's possible that his campaign rhetoric may lead some Police and others in law enforcement to believe that they now have license to abuse the press and behave in a more oppressive way toward citizens in general.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 12:04 pm

What were they doing though? Just because they were "press" doesn't mean they weren't participating in the rioting. And come on now, a "documentary producer" a "photojournalist" a "livestreamer" and a "freelance reporter"? Couldn't any of us be those things using our phones?

Not buying it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 2:33 pm

I'll have to read up on this.

But why, exactly, were the journalists slapped with felonies?

In NYC, if you riot (unless you actually assault somebody or destroy property), you'll, invariably, get a misdemeanor or below (most of the time, actually, rioters end up getting violations).

It turns out that the cops just indiscriminately arrested people because they were in the location of the rioting. It was an "on the spot" decision based upon the perceived danger posed by rioters.

If the journalists' cases aren't dismissed quite soon (unless, of course, they WERE participating in the rioting), I perceive there will be problems.

In reality, most of the cases will be dismissed, or the defendants will be offered a major plea bargain down to the DC equivalent of a "violation." The only people who will be charged with a felony are those who, evidently, destroyed valuable property or assaulted somebody with a weapon

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 2:53 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
What were they doing though? Just because they were "press" doesn't mean they weren't participating in the rioting. And come on now, a "documentary producer" a "photojournalist" a "livestreamer" and a "freelance reporter"? Couldn't any of us be those things using our phones?

Not buying it.

Not buying it because you don't know?

It's very hard for a person who has already chosen what to believe in the absence of information to reappraise the situation when information becomes available.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 3:02 pm

You also have to remember: journalists have JOBS. If they are caught actually rioting, they will lose those JOBS.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 3:34 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You also have to remember: journalists have JOBS. If they are caught actually rioting, they will lose those JOBS.

If they're stuck in jail or in the district because of bogus charges, that might also cost them their jobs.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 3:43 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:

Not buying it.

Why?Becuse they may represent a news source you don't like?Any proof they were participating?Ever watch a documentary?Ever look at pictures in the papers?Yes,there are freelance reporters out there.
Guess you aren't big on freedom of speech and the press.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_A ... nstitution

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 3:45 pm

I'm pretty sure these guys are "real journalists"

http://www.evanengel.com/

https://www.rt.com/usa/374421-rt-report ... -protests/

If he works for RT and has credentials, he is press.
Covering a crime is not participating in that crime.

The First Amendment isn't an invention of SJWs, or cultural marxists, or just a nice idea for when times are good.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 Jan 2017, 3:51 pm

People involved in the rioting should be charged, if they weren't then it should be dropped but the guilty should be held accountable. Almost all these people probably identify of 'journalists' too, it's a pretty meaningless term now when all you need is a cell phone. We don't have many real journalist in this country, mostly activists and corporate hacks.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 4:03 pm

Like I said, they'll probably dismiss the charges, unless they actually participated in the rioting.

There are many "real" journalists around.

People have to go out in the world more, instead of living in ideology.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2017, 5:10 pm

Adamantium wrote:
In fairness to Trump, the decisions here were made by DC police and prosecutors, not the President.

It's possible that his campaign rhetoric may lead some Police and others in law enforcement to believe that they now have license to abuse the press and behave in a more oppressive way toward citizens in general.

The current conditions has little precedence where you have millions marching across capital cities in the US in response to the inauguration of a US president. My guess is the police are in damage control and trying to minimise publicity from journalists that they deem promote or publicise the protests in a positive light.