Girl to be deported from Australia because she is Autistic

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,459
Location: Long Island, New York

23 Feb 2017, 4:28 am

Girl with autism to be deported after failing immigration 'health' checks

Quote:
A 16-year-old girl with autism who has been living in Australia for eight years could be deported within weeks because she failed immigration medical assessments and the Assistant Immigration Minister has refused to intervene.

Blacktown schoolgirl Sumaya Bhuiyan has autism spectrum disorder. Her family's application for permanent residency was rejected in 2013 after immigration health checks found Sumaya had a "moderate developmental delay" that would result in significant cost to Australian taxpayers, her mother Nasrin Haque said.

Last month, Dr Haque was told that Assistant Immigration Minister Alex Hawke had decided it was "not in the public interest" to intervene, and that Sumaya must leave the country.

Dr Haque, a GP working in two medical practices in western Sydney, has until Friday, February 24, to book flights.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,648

23 Feb 2017, 7:57 pm

Unfortunately Australia has very strict immigration laws and this is not the first time an autistic child has been threatened with deportation due to their condition.

There is a moral debate on whether the taxpayer is willing to foot the bill for a migrant with mental illness...



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,459
Location: Long Island, New York

24 Feb 2017, 1:24 am

Assistant Minister for Immigration Alex Hawke intervenes to stop deportation of Sydney girl with autism

Quote:
A teenage girl with autism facing deportation after eight years living in Australia has been granted permanent residency, following an eleventh-hour intervention by the Assistant Immigration Minister.


Quote:
Autism Awareness Australia chief executive Nicole Rogerson said Australia was lucky to have the Haque family and thanked the Assistant Minister for intervening.

"We are delighted Sumaya now has a permanent home in Australia," she said.

"It takes a brave politician to admit a policy error was made. He listened to our community and then acted to right a wrong. That's a pretty good politician in my books."


The story drew international attention. This is evidence that everybody does not hate us or want us eliminated.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,648

24 Feb 2017, 6:18 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Assistant Minister for Immigration Alex Hawke intervenes to stop deportation of Sydney girl with autism

Quote:
A teenage girl with autism facing deportation after eight years living in Australia has been granted permanent residency, following an eleventh-hour intervention by the Assistant Immigration Minister.


Quote:
Autism Awareness Australia chief executive Nicole Rogerson said Australia was lucky to have the Haque family and thanked the Assistant Minister for intervening.

"We are delighted Sumaya now has a permanent home in Australia," she said.

"It takes a brave politician to admit a policy error was made. He listened to our community and then acted to right a wrong. That's a pretty good politician in my books."


The story drew international attention. This is evidence that everybody does not hate us or want us eliminated.


The same minister (Hawke) had previously stated that the taxpayer should not foot the bill? quite heartless really, he just gave in to public outrage



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,940
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

25 Feb 2017, 7:14 am

I said it before, and I'll say it again: an attack on one autistic is an attack on all autistics.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,777
Location: Victoria, Australia

01 Mar 2017, 8:57 pm

Quote:
Dr Haque and her son Sakir, 14, have the option of remaining in Australia on temporary visas or leaving with Sumaya for Hungary, where the family are citizens and where her husband, also a doctor, still lives. The family are originally from Bangladesh.

Neither Dr Haque nor her children speak Hungarian.


Why didn't they stay in Hungary? Whilst there, why didn't they try to assimilate, or at least learn the language?

Quote:
Her family's application for permanent residency was rejected in 2013 after immigration health checks found Sumaya had a "moderate developmental delay" that would result in significant cost to Australian taxpayers, her mother Nasrin Haque said.


It may be unpleasant to acknowledge this particular fact, but yes, most who are "on the spectrum" in fact DO end up living on welfare. Sure, there are exceptions, people who rise above their handicap, but they are a minority.



Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Nov 2012
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,777
Location: Victoria, Australia

01 Mar 2017, 9:01 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I said it before, and I'll say it again: an attack on one autistic is an attack on all autistics.


No, this isn't how it works. An attack on one autistic is... just an attack on an autistic. It's like the quote, "If you've met one person with Asperger's Syndrome, you've just met one person with Asperger's Syndrome". You can't - and shouldn't - lump us all together. We are not all the same, and many of us don't like this "identity politics" nonsense.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,940
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

02 Mar 2017, 12:41 am

Lintar wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
I said it before, and I'll say it again: an attack on one autistic is an attack on all autistics.


No, this isn't how it works. An attack on one autistic is... just an attack on an autistic. It's like the quote, "If you've met one person with Asperger's Syndrome, you've just met one person with Asperger's Syndrome". You can't - and shouldn't - lump us all together. We are not all the same, and many of us don't like this "identity politics" nonsense.


Because an attack on someone because they have Asperger's could be any of us at any time.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


SpiceWolf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jun 2008
Age: 43
Gender: Male
Posts: 660

02 Mar 2017, 1:22 am

Lintar wrote:

No, this isn't how it works. An attack on one autistic is... just an attack on an autistic. It's like the quote, "If you've met one person with Asperger's Syndrome, you've just met one person with Asperger's Syndrome". You can't - and shouldn't - lump us all together. We are not all the same, and many of us don't like this "identity politics" nonsense.


But who are the ones lumping people in?

Reading the article, it seems that this was some kind of data matching with the health records.
Some bureaucrat in DIMIA did a review of the case file, saw a brand new tick in a box that said "Aspergers" and that was that.

So it seems to me that DIMIA are the ones "lumping people in" and reducing them to a diagnosis.



Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jun 2011
Age: 1022
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,820
Location: Возможно в будущее к Россию идти... можеть быть...

02 Mar 2017, 1:38 am

The lawless criminals running the governments costs the tax-payers FAR more money in a SINGLE DAY than ALL of the world's ENTIRE autistic-communities could possibly EVER cost them in an ENTIRE YEAR...;
Seriously, Australia's politicians went into bed with Bush's war, and THAT costs BILLIONS upon BILLIONS.


_________________
Pay me for my signature. 私の署名ですか❓お前の買うなければなりません。Mon autographe nécessite un paiement. Которые хочет мою автографу, у тебя нужно есть деньги сюда. Bezahlst du mich, wenn du meine Unterschrift wollen.


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,648

02 Mar 2017, 1:42 am

Lintar wrote:
You can't - and shouldn't - lump us all together. We are not all the same, and many of us don't like this "identity politics" nonsense.

I'm afraid that decision has already been made for you. Whether you like it or not the Australian government requires you disclose your diagnosis or medical condition and will actively block your right to seek residency



cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,648

02 Mar 2017, 1:46 am

Ban-Dodger wrote:

Seriously, Australia's politicians went into bed with Bush's war, and THAT costs BILLIONS upon BILLIONS.

Yes the "Anglosphere" alliance with Canada, Australia, UK and New Zealand



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,459
Location: Long Island, New York

02 Mar 2017, 9:26 am

It was an attack on anybody diagnosed with a developmental delay trying to immigrate to Australia. How people in that catagory wished or do not wish to self identify was irrelevant.

Because we are so different is exactly why the decision was outrageous.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,648

02 Mar 2017, 7:09 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
It was an attack on anybody diagnosed with a developmental delay trying to immigrate to Australia. How people in that catagory wished or do not wish to self identify was irrelevant.

Because we are so different is exactly why the decision was outrageous.

I've seen cases in the news where an entire family is granted residency in Australia except for the one child who has been diagnosed with autism. This law also applies in New Zealand.

The incidences I've seen involve children with more severe autism, it's interesting that immigration agents here don't have a clue how to deal with this which is why the issues are escalating to ministers of parliament. Quite ludicrous.



BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,048
Location: Monroe Twp. NJ

03 Mar 2017, 9:17 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Because an attack on someone because they have Asperger's could be any of us at any time.


Not if you are a smart Aspie and get a lawyer.


_________________
Socrates' Last Words: I drank what!! !?????