Page 4 of 9 [ 130 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 2:21 am

Not able to tell the real from the fake has been a staple in a lot of things.

Soliloquist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Mar 2019, 2:48 am

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 2:53 am

Sam RI Digsby MD wrote:
How much time would you need to construct a crop circle while trespassing on a farmers field, often within eyesight of the home? It's only dark for about 4 to 5 hours a night in the summer there due to the latitude. I've visited a new formation and the farmer came out blasting his shotgun to scatter the few investigators!

kraftiekortie wrote:
I might regret asking this:

But what happens in England during summer that has some bearing on Crop Circles? Perhaps it has something to do with a harvest?

A farmer blasting his shotgun at trespassers, in England? The alien conversation was more believable.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 5:04 am

Good point. An English farmer would more likely send out a dog or two.

traven
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 5:54 am

im not sure about the words but hunting rifles (shotguns?) are quite common in rural areas
i think every neighbor here has one,
not sure it can kill a person but it will frighten a trespassing cropcircle artist

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 9:21 am

EzraS wrote:
Not being able to tell the "real" crop circles from the deliberate man-made fakes implies that they are all deliberate man-made fakes. So, unless there is factual, empirical evidence that has been vetted by a scientific review board to indicate extra-terrestrial or supernatural involvement, the only valid belief is that ALL crop circles are man-made fakes.

Of course, some people will believe anything, as long as they can rationalize just enough 'proof' to fool the average house-pet.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 1:47 pm

traven wrote:
im not sure about the words but hunting rifles (shotguns?) are quite common in rural areas
not sure it can kill a person but it will frighten a trespassing cropcircle artist

Shotguns are long barreled guns that shoot buckshot (scattering pellets). Often double barreled. Rifles are long barreled guns that shoot actual bullets. Shotguns are smoothbore, and rifles are called that because they are "rifled" (spiraling groves are cut into the inside of the gun barrel to make the bullet spin (the big sixty foot long guns of a battleship, like the U.S.S. Missouri, are called 'rifles' because they have same spiraling grooves).

A "hunting rifle" is just a any rifle made for hunting. Basically any civilian type rifle.

Now...back to crop circles (don't wanna derail the topic).

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 2:18 pm

traven wrote:
yes, but they know they'll be in a lot of trouble if they point it at anyone. They are strictly for vermin and are kept locked up.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2019, 5:05 pm

Fnord wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Not being able to tell the "real" crop circles from the deliberate man-made fakes implies that they are all deliberate man-made fakes. So, unless there is factual, empirical evidence that has been vetted by a scientific review board to indicate extra-terrestrial or supernatural involvement, the only valid belief is that ALL crop circles are man-made fakes.

Of course, some people will believe anything, as long as they can rationalize just enough 'proof' to fool the average house-pet.

:lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 5:35 am

Fnord wrote:
So, unless there is factual, empirical evidence that has been vetted by a scientific review board to indicate extra-terrestrial or supernatural involvement, the only valid belief is that ALL crop circles are man-made fakes.

This statement is intellectually lazy Fnord.

You have inserted the word "belief" which is (in itself) reliance on assumption.

Even skeptics who clamber to make claims to the media (after all they want their 15 minutes of fame) that a couple of drunk farmers with plough were capable of creating "All crop circles" are unable to rationally explain how the most intricate designs were created (scientists who scoff at crop circles or UFOs are invariably not qualified to invalidate all the claims).

While attributing to aliens is unscientific, claiming "ALL" are man made is barely any better in terms of meeting the rigorous scientific method to come to such a conclusion...

The safest course of action is just say the data is incomplete to comprehensively discount all claims

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 9:19 am

cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So, unless there is factual, empirical evidence that has been vetted by a scientific review board to indicate extra-terrestrial or supernatural involvement, the only valid belief is that ALL crop circles are man-made fakes.
This statement is intellectually lazy ... While attributing to aliens is unscientific, claiming "ALL" are man made is barely any better in terms of meeting the rigorous scientific method to come to such a conclusion ... The safest course of action is just say the data is incomplete to comprehensively discount all claims
"Incomplete data" does not discount the claim that "The simplest, and therefor the most likely explanation is that all crop circles are man-made."

Sure, to say with absolute certainty that every single crop circle was made by humans is not the Way Of Science, it is just the most common-sense conclusion to arrive at ... at least until the constables apprehend and arrest a real space-alien for trespass and vandalism.

Isn't it enough to see that a crop circle is intricate without having to believe that there are space-aliens as the cause of it too?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 9:31 am

What if the aliens are posing as humans?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 10:48 am

EzraS wrote:
What if the aliens are posing as humans?
Then contact One of These Organizations and tell them your story.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 11:15 am

I'm surprised this thread has got so far without mention of Occam's razor (unless I've missed it). Crop circles are real insofar as they exist. They were made by humans.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 11:58 am

Is "Occam's razor" the name of the alien device used to make crop circles?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2019, 12:42 pm

Trueno wrote:
I'm surprised this thread has got so far without mention of Occam's razor (unless I've missed it). Crop circles are real insofar as they exist. They were made by humans.
While I did not mention it by name, I did apply it to the topic.
EzraS wrote:
Is "Occam's razor" the name of the alien device used to make crop circles?
:wall:

;) Good joke, though!