NASA about to announce Existence of Aliens

Page 2 of 7 [ 97 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 1:09 pm

In actual truth, it was the hacking group Anonymous that stated: NASA is about to announce the existence of alien life.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/speaking-of-science/wp/2017/06/26/someone-made-a-ridiculous-video-about-nasa-finding-aliens-news-outlets-took-the-bait/?utm_term=.cfb2397d3acf

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 1:53 pm

I hope there is life on other planets.

Whoever discovers it will make millions of dollars. I hope the person who actually found it gets most of the credit.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2017, 5:50 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Will they announce it already??????

They've announced that they're going to announce it next week.

SandraH155
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jun 2017, 5:33 am

Great news, hope its true.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 5:59 am

We are using expensive, chemical rockets, in a time of shortage, to cross an unsurmountable, physical gap.

I consider it more feasible, to say that extraterrestrial life exists at a different frequency, or plane of existence, that is not reached by blunt force.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 6:18 am

friedmacguffins wrote:
We are using expensive, chemical rockets, in a time of shortage, to cross an unsurmountable, physical gap.

I consider it more feasible, to say that extraterrestrial life exists at a different frequency, or plane of existence, that is not reached by blunt force.

I think this impending announcement is linked to the earth like planets located by the Kepler telescope. Light from the orbit from one of the aforementioned 10 planets may indicate the presence of chorophyll a, a plant based pigment that is easily detected on our own earth if you were sitting on a planet milllions of light years away...

Of course bio-signatures from other planets collected as light using spectroscopy don't necessarily have to have green chlorophyll
https://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/ne ... lants.html

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 6:37 am

If it was very sciency-sounding would it be able to garner public support.

Respectfully, under the prevailing theory, that light is the cosmological constant, the plant material would be millions of years old. They are not publicly addressing the issue of how to reach that time and place.

It's still a thought experiment, to assume that life exists, and I felt that NASA is setting the bar, very low -- for instance, mixing reagents and soil, and reporting a gas. If it looks like plants, that would be noteworthy.

It just feels like false advertising, when pop culture has you believing in Babylon 5, Dune, and that bar from Star Wars.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 6:39 am

Before anyone gets their hopes up too much about contacting new alien civilizations, we might just be talking about alien mold here.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 7:18 am

I felt that calling it alien mold would still be interesting, to academical-kinds of people, without being so emotionally-triggering.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 8:22 am

chances are, that if ET life is found [or it finds US], that it will be as far beneath or above us in development, as we are above amoeba and below them- if the latter, they'd likely be Kardashev scale II at least.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 8:37 am

So did they find my home planet yet?

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 8:46 am

cyberdad wrote:
“How likely would bacteria and simple organisms be to form intelligent life, we don’t know...Even assuming...

Operative word: "Assuming."

For all the speculation about "primordial ooze" spontaneously generating even single-celled life, we have yet to recreate that phenomena in the laboratory, meaning we don't know all the requirements for making it happen - or if it can happen at all. All our assumptions about the origin of life may be wrong.

Therefore, it is IMPOSSIBLE to create a mathematical formula for predicting the odds of this (so far mythical) process occurring on other planets.

What we do know, is that for life to even survive on THIS planet, over 250+ absolute requirements exist - including exact distance from the host star, liquid oxygen atmosphere, a spinning molten core to create a magnetosphere for protecting fragile life from solar radiation, nearby gas giants to absorb and deflect incoming asteroids, etc, etc.

As with so much of modern "scientific knowledge," this is nothing but speculation, based on previous speculation, with zero empirical evidence to back it up. "There must be life out there, 'cause look at all the stars" is not science, it is fantasy.

We have no way of knowing whether such a thing is even possible, much less likely, because we still don't KNOW how it happened here. Ultimately, belief in alien life as much an act of faith as believing in God.

Speculating about invisible living organisms based on fluctuating methane levels is like Man Made Climate Change - using science fiction and speculation to promote a political agenda. Like it or not, as far as we know, we may well be alone in this universe.

But while we're talking SciFi, if you find 'em, by all means, bring 'em on back for study - it worked so well in Aliens. :roll:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 12:17 pm

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 12:38 pm

I certainly hope this is true although I remain skeptical and I won't be getting hyped before any official announcements.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 4:40 pm

will@rd wrote:
Therefore, it is IMPOSSIBLE to create a mathematical formula for predicting the odds of this (so far mythical) process occurring on other planets.

I thought that the Drake equation is pure speculation, because, at present, none of these factors can be falsified --
N = R* • fp • ne • fl • fi • fc • L

N = The number of civilizations in the Milky Way galaxy whose electromagnetic emissions are detectable.
R* =The rate of formation of stars suitable for the development of intelligent life.
fp = The fraction of those stars with planetary systems.
ne = The number of planets, per solar system, with an environment suitable for life.
fl = The fraction of suitable planets on which life actually appears.
fi = The fraction of life bearing planets on which intelligent life emerges.
fc = The fraction of civilizations that develop a technology that releases detectable signs of their existence into space.
L = The length of time such civilizations release detectable signals into space.

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2017, 5:08 pm

Astrobiologists have already discovered algae-like fossils in fragments from a meteor that landed in Sri Lanka.

Also, the only form of life WE recognize is based on carbon. Life based on silicon is theoretically possible. Such a silicon life form might exhale silicon dioxide, i.e. sand. We could even now be surrounded by alien life and never even recognize it was there.