Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2014
Age: 59
Gender: Female
Posts: 25,953
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A.

06 Jul 2017, 11:08 am

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/amelia-earhart-may-have-survived-crash-landing-never-seen-photo-n779591

Image

NBC News wrote:
...

The photo, marked "Jaluit Atoll" and believed to have been taken in 1937, shows a short-haired woman — potentially Earhart — on a dock with her back to the camera. (She's wearing pants, something for which Earhart was known.) She sits near a standing man who looks like Noonan — down to the hairline.

"The hairline is the most distinctive characteristic," said Ken Gibson, a facial recognition expert who studied the image. "It's a very sharp receding hairline. The nose is very prominent."

Gibson added: "It's my feeling that this is very convincing evidence that this is probably Noonan."


Image

NBC News wrote:
The photo shows a Japanese ship, Koshu, towing a barge with something that appears to be 38-feet-long — the same length as Earhart's plane.

For decades, locals have claimed they saw Earhart's plane crash before she and Noonan were taken away. Native schoolkids insisted they saw Earhart in captivity. The story was even documented in postage stamps issued in the 1980s.

"We believe that the Koshu took her to Saipan [in the Mariana Islands], and that she died there under the custody of the Japanese," said Gary Tarpinian, the executive producer of the History special.

"We don't know how she died," Tarpinian said. "We don't know when."

Josephine Blanco Akiyama, who lived on Saipan as a child, has long claimed she saw Earhart in Japanese custody.

"I didn't even know it was a woman, I thought it was a man," said Akiyama. "Everybody was talking about her — they were talking about in Japanese. That's why I know that she's a woman. They were talking about a woman flyer."

It is not clear if the U.S. government knew who was in the photo. If it was taken by a spy, the U.S. may not have wanted to compromise that person by revealing the image.

What they're talking about in this second picture, is all the way over to the tippy-tippy edge of the right-hand side of the photograph----you can see there's a white area, at the end of the ship (I don't think the white area is her plane, because the blown-up portion they showed yesterday and today, on "The Today Show", was darker-colored, but that's just to give you a reference, for where to look).

Also, since everyone has been so abuzz regarding this, somebody found this woman (Akiyama, in the above quote) who has been saying all-of-her-life, that she saw Amelia Earhart, and "The Today Show" aired part of that interview, today. IIRC, they said this woman is now 93, and was 12 when she saw this incident.

I think this is extremely cool / very believable, IMO----especially, since the photo seems to show her navigator, as well (it might not get the same reaction if it was a picture of just her)----but, I'm guessing they can't really prove it, though; but, still.....





_________________
White female; age 59; diagnosed Aspie.
I use caps for emphasis----I'm NOT angry or shouting. I use caps like others use italics, underline, or bold.
"What we know is a drop; what we don't know, is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)


Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Apr 2014
Age: 39
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,603
Location: USA

06 Jul 2017, 11:50 am

I've seen this story over the last two days, I'll believe it when they produce records. The story originated on the history channel, the same history channel that has at least one show a week about aliens building the pyramids, so it's not exactly like they're swimming in credibility.



envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 16 Sep 2012
Gender: Male
Posts: 16,043
Location: Keshron, Super-Zakhyria

06 Jul 2017, 12:47 pm

Thanks for this interesting post, Campin' Cat.

I always find your posts refreshing. I always try to keep my blogs interesting too, even if hardly anyone reads them...

Let's see where this new research goes.


_________________
Why is a trailer behind a car but ahead of a movie?


my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/


Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2014
Age: 59
Gender: Female
Posts: 25,953
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A.

06 Jul 2017, 1:23 pm

^^ You're welcome----and, thanks! I like when there's something different to read-about / discuss.

Aristophanes wrote:
I've seen this story over the last two days, I'll believe it when they produce records.

Apparently, there WAS a record----a 170-page record of her capture / death in Saipan (I THINK they said), but that record has gone missing.

Here's the two videos of yesterday's and today's segments, on "The Today Show":

WEDNESDAY (7/5/17): http://www.today.com/video/amelia-earhart-mystery-may-have-new-clue-in-never-before-seen-photo-983703107827

THURSDAY (7/6/17): http://www.today.com/video/amelia-earhart-mystery-new-details-about-photo-emerge-984784451785

If you can't get it to play, on those pages, here they are, in order (first one, is Wednesday's; second one is Thursday's), on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=The+Today+Show%2C+Amelia+Earhart

IIRC, the picture came from a file, that was made by the U.S. Navy (I THINK). The picture was taken by a U.S. spy----he was spying on the Japanese----the Japanese said there is no record of her ever having been in their custody (which, of COURSE they're GONNA say)----there's no one alive, in the U.S., apparently, who was working on this, during that time (the spy was killed for espionage - besides, it was 80-years-ago)----but, they said something about some U.S. Navy muckety-muck had said that he had seen the report, or something like that (DON'T go by what *I* said, here, though [cuz I don't trust my memory]; watch the video segments, cuz the segments that I saw on TV, were SOOOOO intriguing).

Still, one could argue that it hasn't been PROVEN, and I totally understand that thinking----but, I still think it's interesting; I only wish I had cable.....





_________________
White female; age 59; diagnosed Aspie.
I use caps for emphasis----I'm NOT angry or shouting. I use caps like others use italics, underline, or bold.
"What we know is a drop; what we don't know, is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 42,202
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

06 Jul 2017, 2:18 pm

It's also true that discovered on a deserted island in the vicinity of where Earhart had disappeared was the skeleton of a woman, which was initially mistaken as male (easy to do, as it's just a skeleton). Chances are, this was Earhart.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2014
Age: 59
Gender: Female
Posts: 25,953
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A.

06 Jul 2017, 3:17 pm

^^ Yeah, I remember hearing about that, as well----but, this seems to be telling a DIFFERENT story, that her plane was, somehow, blown, off-course, and that she was captured by the Japanese, and died (or was killed) in some type of prison or something, of theirs; thus, making that story about her body on a deserted island, not factual, because that island was ON-course (I think they said)----but, who knows if THIS story, that I posted, is even factual; cuz, if-nothing-else, she certainly doesn't look like she's "in custody", in that picture.








_________________
White female; age 59; diagnosed Aspie.
I use caps for emphasis----I'm NOT angry or shouting. I use caps like others use italics, underline, or bold.
"What we know is a drop; what we don't know, is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 66
Gender: Male
Posts: 25,371
Location: temperate zone

06 Jul 2017, 4:46 pm

Amelia Earhart has an official website. And it features a trailer for a new major motion picture about her coming our way soon starring Hillary Swank, and Richard Gere.

The Japanese capture theory has always been around with all of the other competing theories. It always seemed suspect to me because her route didn't really take through the Japanese controlled part of the Pacific. The NPR doc I saw made a pretty good case that they fell into the sea near Howland Island in the mid pacific. Quite far from Saipan.

But the person in that newly unearthed photo does look like Amelia Earhart. But like CC said she doesn't look like she is "incarcerated" in the picture.

And then there is the skeleton of the castaway found on Gardiner Island back in 1940. We don't have the actual skeleton anymore, but we have the reports on it made by British investigator back then. There are convincing arguments on both sides -that it was in fact the skeleton of the Avatrix, or that it was not.

Gawd only knows.



Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2014
Age: 59
Gender: Female
Posts: 25,953
Location: Baltimore, Maryland, U.S.A.

06 Jul 2017, 6:16 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Amelia Earhart has an official website. And it features a trailer for a new major motion picture about her coming our way soon starring Hillary Swank, and Richard Gere.

The Japanese capture theory has always been around with all of the other competing theories. It always seemed suspect to me because her route didn't really take through the Japanese controlled part of the Pacific. The NPR doc I saw made a pretty good case that they fell into the sea near Howland Island in the mid pacific. Quite far from Saipan.

Hey, I think that's pretty cool about the movie----I can TOTALLY see Hilary Swank, as Amelia Earhart!

I found another article----and, this one was written in 2015----and, they say what YOU said, that the theory of them being captured by the Japanese, has been circulating since, at least, WWII. They also say that her destination was Howland----but, that there was cloud-cover, and that she landed on Mili, they were captured, and the plane was taken to Saipan; that certainly "fits" with the article in the OP.

Here's an excerpt, from this other article I found:


The Telegraph wrote:
...

After the end of the Second World War, there were numerous reports about the fate of the flight, with several claiming Ms Earhart and Mr Noonan had been captured by the Japanese after landing on Mili.

Mr Kinney and Mr Spink have invested thousands of dollars of their own money to follow up on the reports and are convinced that the Electra came down on Mili, where the two were captured by the Japanese. They contend the aircraft was subsequently placed aboard a barge and towed by a freighter to the island of Jaluit and on to Saipan, one of the largest islands in the Western Pacific.

Accused of being spies, according to the claims, Mr Noonan was executed and Ms Earhart later died of dysentery.

In 2009, Wally Earhart, Ms Earhart's fourth cousin, claimed that the US government hushed-up the abduction and continues to perpetrate a "massive cover-up".

"They did not die as claimed by the government and the Navy when the Electra plunged into the Pacific - they died while in Japanese captivity on the island of Saipan," said Mr Earhart, who has declined to reveal his sources.

Mr Kinney and Mr Spink are convinced by the legends that continue to float around the western Pacific and say they believe the Electra was buried in a huge pit on Saipan after the island had been recaptured by the US in 1945.

Mr Kinney said the Japanese would have "lost face" if it emerged that Ms Earhart had landed on the Japanese-controlled island of Mili without their knowledge and would also have assumed that she was a spy.

The US, he added, was fully aware that Ms Earhart had been captured because it had broken Japan's military and diplomatic codes. To request the fliers' freedom would have tipped the Japanese off, the theory goes, so the US "decided Earhart would become expendable", Mr Kinney said.

...



http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/11702432/US-researchers-claim-metal-fragments-prove-Amelia-Earhart-crashed-on-Marshall-Islands.html




_________________
White female; age 59; diagnosed Aspie.
I use caps for emphasis----I'm NOT angry or shouting. I use caps like others use italics, underline, or bold.
"What we know is a drop; what we don't know, is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)


Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 42,202
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

06 Jul 2017, 6:49 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
^^ Yeah, I remember hearing about that, as well----but, this seems to be telling a DIFFERENT story, that her plane was, somehow, blown, off-course, and that she was captured by the Japanese, and died (or was killed) in some type of prison or something, of theirs; thus, making that story about her body on a deserted island, not factual, because that island was ON-course (I think they said)----but, who knows if THIS story, that I posted, is even factual; cuz, if-nothing-else, she certainly doesn't look like she's "in custody", in that picture.


As I understand it, her map was actually in error, and the island she was looking for wasn't where it was supposed to be.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,420

07 Jul 2017, 1:19 am

I'm not sure what this photo will demonstrate since the Japanese government will deny they had anything to do with her disappearance or death so no chance of locating her body for burial

What would be (perhaps) interesting is if she was abducted and taken back to Japan?



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 42,202
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

07 Jul 2017, 1:29 am

cyberdad wrote:
I'm not sure what this photo will demonstrate since the Japanese government will deny they had anything to do with her disappearance or death so no chance of locating her body for burial

What would be (perhaps) interesting is if she was abducted and taken back to Japan?


I'm not sure why the present day Japanese government would be adverse to releasing such information, if she had been captured by Japan all those years ago. But as I already stated, I believe the skeleton recovered on an island in the area had belonged to her.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 53
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,420

07 Jul 2017, 1:41 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I'm not sure what this photo will demonstrate since the Japanese government will deny they had anything to do with her disappearance or death so no chance of locating her body for burial

What would be (perhaps) interesting is if she was abducted and taken back to Japan?


I'm not sure why the present day Japanese government would be adverse to releasing such information, if she had been captured by Japan all those years ago. But as I already stated, I believe the skeleton recovered on an island in the area had belonged to her.

The current Japanese adminstration has feigned offense and denial over allegations of Japanese war crimes where the evidence was overwhelming. I'm guessing they would be even less likely to put up their hands over Amelia Earheart given her historic importance and that she was a heroine. Wouldn't put it past the imperial troops.



Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 42,202
Location: Spokane area, Washington state.

07 Jul 2017, 1:47 am

cyberdad wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
I'm not sure what this photo will demonstrate since the Japanese government will deny they had anything to do with her disappearance or death so no chance of locating her body for burial

What would be (perhaps) interesting is if she was abducted and taken back to Japan?


I'm not sure why the present day Japanese government would be adverse to releasing such information, if she had been captured by Japan all those years ago. But as I already stated, I believe the skeleton recovered on an island in the area had belonged to her.

The current Japanese adminstration has feigned offense and denial over allegations of Japanese war crimes where the evidence was overwhelming. I'm guessing they would be even less likely to put up their hands over Amelia Earheart given her historic importance and that she was a heroine. Wouldn't put it past the imperial troops.


Okay, that's true.


_________________
-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer