Flu shot may be quite ineffective this year

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 1:09 pm

Brace Yourself for a Miserable Flu Season: This Year’s Vaccine Has Been Failing in Australia

Quote:
Reports from Australia have caused mounting concern, with record-high numbers of laboratory-confirmed influenza notifications and outbreaks and higher-than-average numbers of hospitalizations and deaths,” Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious, and his colleagues wrote in a commentary published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

In the report, the authors also note that vaccines may fail to protect against a certain strain of the virus called influenza A or H3N2.

H3N2 was the most predominant flu strain among Australians and unfortunately, the vaccine did little to protect them. According to preliminary estimates, the vaccine was only 10 percent effective.

“Given that most of the U.S. influenza-vaccine supply is currently produced in eggs and the composition of the 2017-2018 Northern Hemisphere vaccine is identical to that used in Australia, it is possible that we will experience low vaccine effectiveness against influenza A viruses,” Fauci, his Australian counterpart, and two World Health Organization officials wrote.

Despite this year’s vaccine being less effective than usual, health officials still advise getting vaccinated to protect against other strains of the virus. Although the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommended getting vaccinated by October, it’s not too late.

If you choose to get vaccinated now it, “can still be beneficial and vaccination should continue to be offered throughout the flu season, even into January or later,” the CDC advises.

While the shot probably won't stop us from getting the flu it will be a shot in the arm(pun intended) for the anti-vaxx movement. I know this news is at most tangentially related to vaccine injury caused autism idea, but that will not matter.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2017, 1:49 pm

I forgot to get a flu shot this year.

I have to go to the doctor next week to get my thyroxine prescription renewed so I'll ask for a flu shot while I'm there.