Psychosis treatment failure prevalence in Autistics

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 1:32 am

Psychosis Treatment Failure More Common in Patients With ASD

Quote:
According to the results of a recent study published in the Journal of Clinical Psychiatry, multiple treatment failure in children with first-episode psychosis was more common among patients with comorbid autism spectrum disorders.

Researchers enrolled children between the ages of 10 and 17 years with first-episode psychosis, using a clinical records database of patients in South London, United Kingdom. They evaluated the association of multiple treatment failure before the age of 18 years and comorbid autism disorders, using a Cox regression analysis, and categorized multiple treatment failure as the initiation of a third novel antipsychotic because of nonadherence, adverse effects, or insufficient response.

Of the 638 children with first-episode psychosis, 124 cases of multiple treatment failure (19.4%) were reported. After adjustment for confounding variables, comorbid autism spectrum disorders were associated with an increased rate of multiple treatment failure (adjusted hazard ratio
, 1.99; P =.008).
Other factors significantly associated with multiple treatment failure included older age at referral (adjusted HR, 1.39; P =.001), black race (1.73; P =.03), and frequency of clinical contact (1.006; P <.001).

In patients with multiple treatment failure, reasons for the first antipsychotic switch were intolerable adverse effects (44.3%), insufficient response (21.0%), or nonadherence (14.5%). The reasons for switching antipsychotics were significantly different between the groups with and without comorbid autism spectrum disorder (P =.05).
The study authors concluded that "[autism spectrum disorder] comorbidity was associated with a 2-fold increased risk of [multiple treatment failure],"

Treatments designed for NT’s do not work as well for autistics, what a surprise(sarcasm).

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 1:43 am

Despite many reports over the years of atypical responses to medications of all kinds, the medical profession remains unwilling or unable to make that leap of imagination beyond conventional treatment for atyipcal populations. When I have mentioned my own atypical responses to doctors I have seen their faces register instant disbelief. That refusal to consider wider perspectives than their own is a form of discrimination, and one with a distinctive capacity to cause a distinctive form of harm. I really am tired of the elective blindness of the majority of the medical profession.

https://insideperspectives.wordpress.co ... reactions/

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 10:37 am

Huh. Yeah, not surprising.

I have been reading a lot during this time when I have not been able to "work". Those quotations are because research isn't really work. I have noticed a lot of encouragement about "vaccines causing autism" discussion, alongside of discussion that both marijuana and kratom should be accessible and legal. Kratom is currently legal in the US, but from what I read, it is very, very bad- like a legal heroin. I find it disturbing that the vaccine, autism-is-manufactured, marijuana, and kratom talk are all happening from the same people in the same crowds.

It makes me wonder if there is some benefit to keeping the population drugged and if the presence of autistic minds is threatening to whoever wants to keep people drugged. Maybe because the drugs don't have the same effect on them. Could it be that because drugs don't have the same effect on autistics they aren't addicted as easily, so someone isn't making money? Or are they just trying to keep the population docile? I don't know. It's just something disturbing I have noticed.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2017, 3:08 pm

Not surprising at all, considering the fact that they are being treated for psychoses with anti-psychotic medication. The Doctors in question apparently have no time to deal with the issues that are really going on with the kids, so rather than deal with it in a real and tangible way, they just pump them full of antipsycotic medication instead. --This is a copout to me.