Conservative Politician has too much Pride to be Disabled

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 6:10 pm

A former Australian tennis player and conservative politician has angered the disabled community in Australia.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z51T67Abs3
Alexander was celebrating a by-election victory for the seat of Bennelong when asked about recovering from a tennis back injury he told a jubilant conservative crowd that "reflecting on his golden years as a tennis professional he was once eligible for a disability parking permit following a back injury - but said he had 'too much pride' to use it."

The comment has angered Australians who use disabled parking stickers as he (Alexander) suggests the disabled have no pride. It never ceases to amaze me how narrow minded and backward social conservatives are and what thoughts float around in their little heads

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 7:39 pm

So since him being a conservative is highlighted, does that mean liberals are ultra touchy and get offended by every little thing?

I'm disabled to the point where I need a wheelchair at times. Wtf does his personal pride have to do with anyone else.

And personally I prefer that the tag not be used most of the time when I'm taken places and regular parking is used.

But I won't say why, if people are going to flip out over my personal attitude regarding my personal business.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 7:47 pm

I don't feel there's anything particularly egregious in somebody saying they have "too much pride" to obtain a disability permit. It's not the smartest thing to say, though.

If I was disabled enough to get a parking permit, I would get one----no "pride" there.

I did refuse the accommodations offered to me while I attended college. I didn't feel like I needed them---and I found it a real hassle to have to go up to each professor I had, and tell him/her I needed accommodations.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 8:30 pm

To me personally it's just one more thing that keeps me from being like everyone else.

And since I like going for walks, it just doesn't seem justified in my case. I'm good for up to a whole hour of steadily walking with my braces on, so I can manage walking across a parking lot.

But that's me and only about me and not anyone else.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 9:04 pm

cyberdad wrote:
A former Australian tennis player and conservative politician has angered the disabled community in Australia.
Alexander was celebrating a by-election victory for the seat of Bennelong when asked about recovering from a tennis back injury he told a jubilant conservative crowd that "reflecting on his golden years as a tennis professional he was once eligible for a disability parking permit following a back injury - but said he had 'too much pride' to use it."

The comment has angered Australians who use disabled parking stickers as he (Alexander) suggests the disabled have no pride. It never ceases to amaze me how narrow minded and backward social conservatives are and what thoughts float around in their little heads

Oh yeah, and just because a person has a disability, he is not allowed to have pride and is supposed to believe the narrative about vilifying conservatives..right.

Just like how people with black ancestry in countries like the USA being called race traitor or "not supporting his interests" when they happen to be at a higher-income level, or whatever "higher level" they happen to be. And if anything, that attitude from that population only creates more racism itself. 8O

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2017, 10:21 pm

I realise in retrospect that he probably wasn't intending to vilify the disabled, however what he said didn't come out right.

a number of prominent people with disabilities are not impressed either
http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-act ... 52ce5c0eec

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Dec 2017, 12:58 am

I guess the whole thing is really politics. Later on in another election it will go around that he said disabled people should be ashamed of themselves or said that they're lazy or whatever. It's really just about smearing the guy.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 9:56 am

Perhaps he doesn't feel Disabled enough to use the sticker to take advantage of the parking space, and leaves the space so somebody who has a greater disability than he can use it. --All it is is a matter of perspective in looking at this.

Perhaps the Disabled community of Australia should check his reasoning behind his actions before jumping to conclusions and creating a bunch of drama over it.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 10:27 am

This is silly. It's a common thing to say, especially when you're embarrassed.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 3:45 pm

cyberdad wrote:

I am not offended because I did not see his "joke" as a knock on the disabled but as a knock on people who game the system .

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 4:05 pm

Fogman wrote:
Perhaps he doesn't feel Disabled enough to use the sticker to take advantage of the parking space, and leaves the space so somebody who has a greater disability than he can use it. --All it is is a matter of perspective in looking at this.

Perhaps the Disabled community of Australia should check his reasoning behind his actions before jumping to conclusions and creating a bunch of drama over it.

I doubt that was what was going through his head since if you read his apology he never mentioned that type of intention - largely because he was throwing a joke around. The fact that you can come up with this reasoning and he couldn't should answer your question

Last edited by cyberdad on 19 Dec 2017, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2017, 4:09 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I am not offended because I did not see his "joke" as a knock on the disabled but as a knock on people who game the system .

I disagree. The vast majority of people who use disabled stickers legitimately require parking access due to a medical condition. It's not a question of having "pride" it's a necessity