Page 7 of 14 [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

trickle down econonics- a fairy tale, or what?
trickle down benefits the 99% :idea: 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
trickle down benefits only the 1% :x 82%  82%  [ 28 ]
i'm not sure :shrug: 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
where's my ice cream? :chef: 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 34

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 7:22 pm

are you yet girding yourself for the new year with the hard stuff? if I could, I would be. :hic: fighting evil is ultimately a draining thing.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 7:27 pm

auntblabby wrote:
are you yet girding yourself for the new year with the hard stuff? if I could, I would be. :hic: fighting evil is ultimately a draining thing.

Well, just trying to remain hopeful and optimistic..

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 7:27 pm

auntblabby wrote:

I'm just surprised kazancube is posting in the politics section. I take a ~2 month hiatus and he's move from the game forum to PPR, that's a pretty big leap in topics.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 7:29 pm

What really makes a difference is showing up at the polls and voting.

https://www.npr.org/2016/04/25/47561327 ... icans-vote
One other interesting facet of the interaction between income and turnout: As McElwee pointed out in that Politico article, research suggests that "higher class bias in the electorate actually leads to higher levels of income inequality." So if this trend of lower turnout among lower-income Americans continues, it could make inequality (the trend Todd was asking Sanders about in the first place) even higher.

Last edited by BTDT on 31 Dec 2017, 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 7:30 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I'm just surprised kazancube is posting in the politics section. I take a ~2 month hiatus and he's move from the game forum to PPR, that's a pretty big leap in topics.

mebbe in a global sense, that is a good thing in that more of the 99% are getting POed at the evil at the top and are willing to at least complain about it.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 7:31 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Not necessarily, as a long time ago I had posted in this forum when I joined way back in 2007,but it was rather sporadic and I continue to post in the game forum as well

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 7:34 pm

BTDT wrote:

One other interesting facet of the interaction between income and turnout: As McElwee pointed out in that Politico article, research suggests that "higher class bias in the electorate actually leads to higher levels of income inequality." So if this trend of lower turnout among lower-income Americans continues, it could make inequality (the trend Todd was asking Sanders about in the first place) even higher.

and the GOP and their henchmen are making it systemically harder for the lower classes to vote via closure of polling places in poor neighborhoods, restrictive requirements for registration, outright malicious deception [sending out flyers saying poor folk who vote will be arrested or that the polling place is somewhere else, et al].

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 7:38 pm

auntblabby wrote:
BTDT wrote:

and the GOP and their henchmen are making it systemically harder for the lower classes to vote via closure of polling places in poor neighborhoods, restrictive requirements for registration, outright malicious deception [sending out flyers saying poor folk who vote will be arrested or that the polling place is somewhere else, et al].

Your forgot to mention how the gop-GropersOutrageousPedophiles also try to purge people from the voting rolls or lists too.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 7:43 pm

florida would have to be the biggest offender in that regard. I've never visited a meaner state.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 7:44 pm

auntblabby wrote:
the masses don't listen to me.

Keep trying.

Read some stuff by Chomsky. Tell people about it. They will inevitably insult you, but you just need to calm yourself down with some cat pictures and then jump back into the ring.

You should speak to many different sorts of people, but you should mainly speak to the mainstream liberals. The liberals need to know that corporate lobbying is the main force standing in the way of liberal progress. In other words, the liberals need to get less cultural and more political.

I honestly don't know what to do about the conservatives. From what I can see, most conservatives nowadays prefer to laugh at "social justice warriors" while ignoring the more sophisticated liberals who actually understand how the political system works. In other words, if the liberals smarten up, the modern "anti-SJW" conservative engine will run out of gas.

Overall, I've noticed that modern conservatives have nearly abandoned politics altogether. Nowadays, conservatism is all about blaming radical feminists, black supremacists, anarchists, and other insignificant fringe political groups for America's problems. Modern conservatism, much like modern liberalism, makes no sense. Modern conservatism run on the assumption that plutocracy isn't real. Their logic is that the corruption of Western culture is the problem.

In realty, the "culture war" exists almost entirely in the middle class. Given that America is a plutocracy and not a democracy, the actions of the middle class don't have any significant impact.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 7:46 pm

in the words of one who should know his own people [david stockman], "the GOP is just a collection of gangs."

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 7:50 pm

BTDT wrote:

When democracy has eroded into plutocracy, voting is no longer a valid option.

Only mass protests can solve a problem like this. All mass protests start with the spread of information.

Just keep spreading the seeds of truth and don't stop. The power of Saint Chomsky is with us.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 7:52 pm

auntblabby wrote:
florida would have to be the biggest offender in that regard. I've never visited a meaner state.

uhh, I happen to live in the state of disenfranchisement=Florida

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 7:55 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

mebbe in a global sense, that is a good thing in that more of the 99% are getting POed at the evil at the top and are willing to at least complain about it.

I'm glad that lots of people are getting mad at the 1%.

Unfortunately, many people are directing their anger towards the Federal Reserve, aliens, Illuminati, Jews, ect. This conspiracy nonsense needs to be shattered and replaced with an intelligent Chomskyite awareness of lobbying.

People need to know that Chomsky isn't "just as bad as" Alex Jones, Lyndon LaRouche, David Duke, David Icke, ect. Chomsky is better than all of these other guys put together.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 8:02 pm

DarthMetaKnight sir, Alex Jones is the most absurd conspiracy theorist/pseudo-science spreader there is out on the net and in media overall. I wish someone would truly shut him down by systematically debunking every single piece of crap he puts out on the air waves so to speak.I suppose either in my life time or afterwords there will be an end to all these conspiracy theories and pseudo-science garbage about the place.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 8:21 pm

kazanscube wrote:
DarthMetaKnight sir, Alex Jones is the most absurd conspiracy theorist/pseudo-science spreader there is out on the net and in media overall. I wish someone would truly shut him down by systematically debunking every single piece of crap he puts out on the air waves so to speak.I suppose either in my life time or afterwords there will be an end to all these conspiracy theories and pseudo-science garbage about the place.

The alt-right are nothing more than trolls, just look at how some of them post here: destroy reputation, destroy reputation, destroy, get called out, leave. Just like a troll on an internet forum, there's no real 'core' philosophy they prescribe to, except destroy. People like Alex Jones are merely a symptom of the disease, and I've come to the conclusion the best way to deal with them is the exact same as one would an internet troll: ignore them since they feed off attention. When I hear Alex Jones brought in as a source for an argument, that's my signal to just skip that person's post. Sure, there's the risk the message will spread, but adding credibility by even arguing absurd points somehow elevates the counter-argument to 'legitimate' in our current culture. Plus let's face it, if someone is going to argue 2+2=5 (which is precisely the absurdity of Alex Jones' arguments), they won't stop regardless of how much evidence you put forth, they're either exceptionally gullible and have made up their mind, or their purpose was never to reach an accurate conclusion, it was merely to distort and/or destroy (neither of which is productive).