Autism Rates Have Stabilized in U.S. Children

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2018, 1:33 am

Time

Quote:
Rates of autism spectrum disorder among children in the U.S. remained stable from 2014 to 2016, according to new research—a change from previous studies that found steady increases over the past two decades.

The new research letter, published in JAMA, looked at survey responses from a nationally representative sample of more than 30,000 children, ages 3 to 17, and their families. From 2014 to 2016, adults in each household were asked if a doctor had ever told them that their child had autism, Asperger’s disorder, pervasive developmental disorder or autism spectrum disorder. Data from the study was then adjusted to account for differences in people’s age, gender and ethnicity.

The researchers found that in 2014, 2.24% of participating children were reported to have an autism spectrum disorder. That number rose only slightly in 2015 and 2016, to 2.41% and 2.58%, respectively—an increase that was not statistically significant.

Autism rates did vary by sub-group. Over the three-year period, 3.54% of boys were reported to have an autism spectrum disorder, compared to 1.22% of girls. Prevalence was 1.78% in Hispanic children, 2.36% in black children and 2.71% in white children.

The overall estimate for autism prevalence among children in the analysis—2.4%—is higher than another recent estimate, from the Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring (ADDM) Network, of 1.46%. The discrepancy may be explained by differences in study design, the authors note in their report. For example, the new study asked parents if their child has received a diagnosis, while the previous study looked at education and health-care evaluations.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2018, 3:32 am

I'm sure many will claim this is because less kids are getting vaccinated.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2018, 1:30 pm

I would guess the DSM 5 or more generally a number of clinicians decided to stop loosening their diagnostic criteria.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2018, 1:35 pm

I would say the above is probably the case.

The higher incidence of autism since 1994, preeminently, is caused by a vast broadening of the criteria since 1994.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 03 Jan 2018, 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2018, 1:42 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would say the above is probably the case.

The higher incidence of autism is, preeminently, caused by a vast broadening of the criteria since 1994.

More people know about autism than they did in 1994. This could be due to most everybody having instant access to the internet.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2018, 2:40 pm

^^^ Yep, that plays a role as well. Definitely.