Art Bell “conspiracy theory” radio host dies

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2018, 2:50 am

Radio host Art Bell dies at 72 in Pahrump home

Quote:
Arthur Bell, also known as Art Bell was the original owner of Pahrump based radio station KNYE 95.1 FM. And perhaps best known for his conspiracy theory in the paranormal, with his radio show "Coast to Coast" - which was syndicated across the nation.

The Nye County Sheriff's Office says Bell died at his home in Pahrump, Nevada.
Bell is scheduled for an autopsy later this week to determine the cause of death.

He was 72-years-old.

"The lunatics have taken over the asylum" - The Specials

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2018, 3:18 am

I bet there's a conspiracy theory about this.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2018, 11:24 am

His show was more "paranormal theory radio" than "conspiracy theory radio" though belief in the former does tend to push you toward the latter (UFO buffs, and folks who believe in the Philadelphia experiment pretty much have to also believe in vast cover ups). But the title of the thread makes him sound like Alex Jones. He wasn't quite in that category.

He would have guests on who were involved exploring the paranormal.

He gave a platform for the ...folks on the fringe to state their cases on AM radio (ghost hunters, UFO ologists, shadow people witnesses, bigfoot hunters, etc). And that was kind of good service for society in my day by giving these fringe folks their day in the sun to state their cases. Of course now we have U Tube so now we are all awash in the ocean of loonytoonery.

Would catch the show late at night now and again. Sometimes they were rather interesting. A couple of friends were also fans. So I have a fondness for Art Bell and his coast to coast show.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2018, 11:35 am

Art grew this show in a way that to me had a vibe like telling spooky stories around a campfire. It entertained the fringe a little, but it felt balanced. I think George Noory has let it rise to a level of legitimacy with his Ancient Aliens buddies at the History Channel. I guess I feel that Art welcomed his audience to wonder at the unknown while George invites people to jump to conclusions.

Aside from that thought, I have a fondness for Art's Coast to Coast from working many night shift jobs.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2018, 1:04 pm

VIDEODROME wrote:
Art grew this show in a way that to me had a vibe like telling spooky stories around a campfire. It entertained the fringe a little, but it felt balanced. I think George Noory has let it rise to a level of legitimacy with his Ancient Aliens buddies at the History Channel. I guess I feel that Art welcomed his audience to wonder at the unknown while George invites people to jump to conclusions.

Aside from that thought, I have a fondness for Art's Coast to Coast from working many night shift jobs.

Interesting. Havent listen to it much during the years his successor, George Noony took over, but that's probably correct. Bell was rather restrained and balanced, and now the show has probably gone off the deep end.

Cant stand those History Channel talking heads. Those guys who talk about how "I read Van Daniken when I was a teen and it inspired me....". I read Van Daniken when I was teen as well, but was inspired to be an interested skeptic and to flex my logic muscles while I read his "ancient astronaut" books. Even as a teen I could discern that 90 percent of his books were BS. Later I learned that most of the remaining ten percent is BS. But yeah...there is that residual two or three percent that IS kinda weird stuff that's hard to explain. Lol! But I digress.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2018, 2:53 pm

"From the high desert, in the middle of the night. . ."

I think every chronic night owl in those days had a soft spot for Art Bell. He was very talented at what he did: telling strange stories and interviewing strange people in the middle of the night. It was kind of like a live sci-fi call-in show, with people reporting their latest communications from distant galaxies, their sightings of trans-material energy beings. etc. R.I.P. Art.

There Are Four Lights!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2018, 7:46 pm

interesting that he passed on Friday the 13th.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2018, 10:07 pm

Isn’t it great that someone got to do what he wanted to do, say and believe what he wanted, provide a place for maverick thinkers to express their beliefs, and no one shut him down?

That is what freedom is supposed to be.

Thank you, Art, and well done.....you are missed. :cry:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2018, 12:19 am

I hear that he really did NOT care for what GN [the huckster par excellence] did to his show.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2018, 3:00 pm

Darmok wrote:
"From the high desert, in the middle of the night. . ."

I think every chronic night owl in those days had a soft spot for Art Bell. He was very talented at what he did: telling strange stories and interviewing strange people in the middle of the night. It was kind of like a live sci-fi call-in show, with people reporting their latest communications from distant galaxies, their sightings of trans-material energy beings. etc. R.I.P. Art.

Yeah, kinda like being in summer camp again, roasting marshmellows over a campfire in the woods at night, and hearing ghost stories. :)

Skilpadde
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 May 2018, 3:21 pm

EzraS wrote:
I bet there's a conspiracy theory about this.
Never heard of the guy, but I hope so, and that I get to hear about it. Good conspiracy theories are very entertaining.
I did a quick google and found: "Cause of Death Not Known"
That sounds promising! :mrgreen:

http://turtleforum.freeforums.org/index.php

Wolves - second only to turtles <3

ON A BREAK!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 8:32 pm

Art Bell Died From Accidental Prescription Overdose

Quote:
Art Bell’s April 13 death was the result of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs, authorities in Nevada said Wednesday, according to the Associated Press. An autopsy showed the former “Coast to Coast AM” talk show host died from “multiple drug intoxication from his own lawfully prescribed prescriptions,” Nye County Sheriff Sharon Wehrly’s office said in a brief Facebook announcement.

The medical examination showed Bell had the painkillers oxycodone and hydrocodone, the sedative diazepam and the muscle-relaxant carisoprodol in his system, according to Clark County Coroner John Fudenberg. Other significant factors in Bell’s death were high blood pressure and the lung disease chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder, Fudenberg said, per the AP story. The coroner found no evidence of foul play in Bell’s death, which took place at his Nevada home.

"The lunatics have taken over the asylum" - The Specials

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 8:59 pm

at least he wasn't in pain.