what happens if Kavanagh gets into supreme court?

Page 3 of 9 [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 12:21 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
The fun is ahead of us.

Justice Breyer <--80 years old
Justice Ginsberg <--86 years old

Trump may have two more to replace.

What are their political leanings?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 1:22 am

sly279 wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
The fun is ahead of us.

Liberals.

This is what these people look like ...

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 1:39 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
sly279 wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
The fun is ahead of us.

Liberals.

This is what these people look like ...

Sotomayor is the most liberal justice, just for the records.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 1:40 am

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 1:53 am

OMG. Poor eye contact, slow speech, seems uncomfortable.

Almost seems like she has an ASD.

EzraS wrote:

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 7:30 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
The fun is ahead of us.

Unless senatorial Democrats gain from November's elections.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 8:31 am

jimmy m wrote:
AspE wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
Since Kavanagh was subjected to significant character assassination, it will leave a mark. I suspect that the experience will affect him in the following way:

Within our legal system there is presumption of innocence. I suspect he will become a staunch advocate for the guarantees provided by the law. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, article 11, states: "Everyone charged with a penal offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law in a public trial at which he has had all the guarantees necessary for his defence.".

He hasn't been charged with anything, so this does not apply. A Supreme Court nominee or any congressperson is held to a standard of ethics that ordinary people aren't held to. You don't have a right to a seat on the court.

It sure looks like he was on trial.

We weren't deciding if he was guilty for criminal prosecution, but whether he was likely to have committed the acts he's been accused of, which is a lower standard. If I were on a jury, I'm not sure I would convict him, but as a potential gov employee, I say there's quite enough there to reject him.

By the way, it's hypocritical to claim innocent until proven guilty while chanting "lock her up". I guess it only applies to white men.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 8:53 am

AspE wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
AspE wrote:
jimmy m wrote:
Since Kavanagh was subjected to significant character assassination, it will leave a mark. I suspect that the experience will affect him in the following way:

Within our legal system there is presumption of innocence. I suspect he will become a staunch advocate for the guarantees provided by the law. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, article 11, states: "Everyone charged with a penal offence has the right to be presumed innocent until proved guilty according to law in a public trial at which he has had all the guarantees necessary for his defence.".

He hasn't been charged with anything, so this does not apply. A Supreme Court nominee or any congressperson is held to a standard of ethics that ordinary people aren't held to. You don't have a right to a seat on the court.

It sure looks like he was on trial.

We weren't deciding if he was guilty for criminal prosecution, but whether he was likely to have committed the acts he's been accused of, which is a lower standard. If I were on a jury, I'm not sure I would convict him, but as a potential gov employee, I say there's quite enough there to reject him.

By the way, it's hypocritical to claim innocent until proven guilty while chanting "lock her up".

Clinton was proven guilty.

"The FBI investigation found that 110 messages contained information that was classified at the time it was sent. Sixty-five of those emails were found to contain information classified as "Secret;" more than 20 contained "Top-Secret" information".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillary_C ... ontroversy

Clinton illegally sent at least 110 classified emails through her private server.

Reality Winner got over 5 years in prison for sending a single classified document to others.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/23/politics ... index.html

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 9:53 am

Seems like a double standard at play.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 9:16 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Sotomayor is the most liberal justice, just for the records.

You think so? Even more Liberal than Elena Kagan? (I'm not disputing it, just curious.)

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2018, 9:28 pm

AspE wrote:
If I were on a jury, I'm not sure I would convict him, but as a potential gov employee, I say there's quite enough there to reject him.

I know wha'cha mean, as I was thinking along that same line, for a bit----but, then I heard someone mention that he hasn't been accused of any dastardly deeds since he began his professional life, and that it seems kinda ridiculous to hold someone accountable for something they did as a child (17, 18, 19), unless it could be PROVEN that he raped her, or something like that; and I would have to agree with that----if, for no other reason than we'd ALL be in trouble! LOL

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 12:31 am

I doubt any other nominees ever had their high school yearbook brought up during conformation hearings. Stuff he wrote when he was a teenager. And I know from recent personal experience that high school boys say a lot of BS to sound cool. The amount of sex they think about and want others to think they're having doesn't hold up to their actual activity.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 1:01 am

mitt the plastic Mormon was [as a teen] found to have attacked a fellow [prep school] classmate with scissors in a gang attack, and yet that did not derail his presidential campaign. too many people are willing to cut the entitled full of themselves white twits way too much slack.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 4:38 am

EzraS wrote:
I doubt any other nominees ever had their high school yearbook brought up during conformation hearings. Stuff he wrote when he was a teenager. And I know from recent personal experience that high school boys say a lot of BS to sound cool. The amount of sex they think about and want others to think they're having doesn't hold up to their actual activity.

That was just as true when I went to school in the 70’s and when I was a young man in the 80s. What has changed is the willingness to publicly document it. People post thier personal stuff good and bad all the time. While guys bragged about how drunk they got and how much they “scored” with girls I never saw or heard of people putting it in their yearbooks.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 5:42 am

The Trump agenda is fundamentally to transform the USA into the DSA - the Divided States of America. Kavanaugh is basically a sideshow, useful to Trump so that he can reinforce, encourage and exploit patriarchal resentment.

There has been a huge catalogue of sideshows ever since Trump hired and paid actors to cheer him riding down the elevator - that alone should have signalled to the populace in general the fraudulence of Trump and his contempt for transparent and honest behaviour.

If Trump succeeds in consolidating his power via puppets like Kavanaugh, the division will grow. This is exactly what Trump wants.

There is now an urgency as never before in the USA for ordinary Americans of both liberal and conservative persuasions to very soberly reflect that democracy relies upon the protection of transparency, legality, impartiality and if these norms and the institutions which represent them are slowly undermined, controlled and increasingly rolled back and demolished by Trump and his cronies, then the outlook may be very bleak indeed.

Kavanaugh is a partisan appointment. Of course he is; the Trump agenda particularly depends on these men that he can control and possibly blackmail if necessary to make them do his bidding as if he was ruler, not POTUS.

The signs and intentions of Trump were there from the beginning; reacting as if this latest episode was something new and different is to be distracted into overlooking the big picture here. Other Western nations place judicial appointments beyond political control, precisely to stop heads of state meddling for their own personal benefit. Western democracies appoint Ombudsman to regulate and protect democratic behaviour. The DSA has relied instead largely on its Constitution alone, and now faces possibilities the founding fathers never foresaw.

The next few years will test the strength of democracy in the USA/DSA as never before and the outcome may well be contingent upon the integrity or lack of it in appointments such as Kavanaughs. Given the murky history revealed about him, it sounds an ominous alarm bell for the future safety of democracy in the DSA, though the MAGAs will wear their red hats until the whole fraud is visible even to them. Then they will complain the loudest, though it may be too late. They will blame Trump for the fraud he is. If it comes to that sad day, Don the Con can rightly respond that they chose to elect him knowing he was a cheat, a fraud, a liar, a huckster.

It's a mess created by Trump and his GOP enablers, and Kavanaugh is just one more incremental step to an even bigger and more dangerous mess, in the Divided States of America.

Last year there were plenty of warnings voiced, like this one:https://theconversation.com/democracy-on-life-support-donald-trumps-first-anniversary-86824

I truly think its time for all caring concerned adults in the USA to stop being continuously distracted by the DSA sideshows, the intertribal conflict whipped up by Trump every single day, and focus instead on the increasing pattern of the undermining of the USA's institutions before they are shipwrecked and replaced by an autocratic oligarchy ruled by the huckster in chief himself..

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2018, 6:14 am

On the subject of judicial temperament, anyone recall Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s rhetorical assault on Donald Trump in July 2016. “I can’t imagine what the country would be—with Donald Trump as our President,” adding that the possibility brought to mind her late husband’s advice: “Now it’s time for us to move to New Zealand.”

How does that rate on partiality?

It is highly likely Trump will have at least a third SCOTUS pick for RBG’s replacement. No doubt part of the dem’s scorched earth tactic with Kavanaugh is to make future conservative SCOTUS nominations so horrific to consider that no one will accept.