SCOTUS - North Dakota can enforce voter ID laws

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 3:00 am

Supreme Court allows North Dakota to enforce voter ID laws

Quote:
The Supreme Court on Tuesday refused to toss out an appeals court order that allows North Dakota to enforce its voter ID requirement during the 2018 elections.

The request to toss out the order came from a group of Native American residents who are challenging a new state law that requires voters to present identification that includes a current residential street address.

The challengers asked the Supreme Court in an urgent request submitted to Justice Neil Gorsuch to toss out the 8th Circuit stay, arguing it has left thousands of Native American voters unable to cast ballots, but the court denied the request without explanation.

The court's newest member, Brett Kavanaugh, did not take part in the decision.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 4:04 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Supreme Court allows North Dakota to enforce voter ID laws
Quote:
The Supreme Court on Tuesday refused to toss out an appeals court order that allows North Dakota to enforce its voter ID requirement during the 2018 elections.

The request to toss out the order came from a group of Native American residents who are challenging a new state law that requires voters to present identification that includes a current residential street address.

The challengers asked the Supreme Court in an urgent request submitted to Justice Neil Gorsuch to toss out the 8th Circuit stay, arguing it has left thousands of Native American voters unable to cast ballots, but the court denied the request without explanation.

The court's newest member, Brett Kavanaugh, did not take part in the decision.

Although Kavanaugh did not take part in this outrage, Gorsuch did.

As head of that circuit, Trump's other kangaroo, Gorsuch, had the power all by himself to reverse the stay, but did not.

So the Trump regime has prevented thousands of Native American voters from exercising their rights. Suppressing their votes is a major GOP goal.

And the irony is amazing:

People who can trace their ancestry here since the Ice Age don't get to decide who will represent them in government, while Trump's white supremacists get to do so.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 4:36 am

Supreme Court rules 6-2 in favor of North Dakota's voter ID law

Quote:
In the Tuesday ruling, the Supreme Court then upheld the stay, rejecting the emergency appeal by attorneys representing a group of Native Americans in the state challenging North Dakota's voter ID law.

Justice Neil Gorsuch was responsible for the appeal and a majority opinion on why the North Dakota law should stand for now wasn't written by the high court. It was also noted that Judge Brett Kavanaugh didn't participate in the decision.

However, two justices, Elena Kagan and Ruth Bader Ginsburg, dissented.

Supreme Court Makes It Harder for Tribal North Dakotans to Vote - The order could hurt the reelection chances of Heidi Heitkamp, the most vulnerable Democratic senator.

Quote:
The Supreme Court’s order will likely make it harder for Sen. Heidi Heitkamp, considered the most vulnerable Democrat in the Senate, to retain her seat in November. Heitkamp won her seat by less than 3,000 votes in 2012 with strong backing from Native Americans, and she is the only statewide elected Democrat. North Dakota Republicans began changing voting rules to make it harder to cast a ballot months after Heitkamp’s victory six years ago. Republicans have claimed the changes to voter ID requirements are intended to stop voter fraud, even though in-person fraud is exceedingly rare.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 7:21 am

I would rather live in North Korea than North Dakota.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 7:56 am

Have you seen this? I'm embarrassed for my race. I feel sad that these white people think of black people in those ways. I'd say it's shameful and say shame on them, but instead I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they're just ignorant. Still, it is shocking. It needs to change.

I do have an issue with how the Youtube vid is titled. It should be titled: How some white liberals really view black voters. I hope hope hope that none of you think of black people the way the white people in that short interview do. I know I certainly do not. When I saw this thread today, I instantly thought of that video which is two years old. The white liberals in the video are describing black people as if they're helpless or even mentally defective. Not cool at all. Really bad and very wrong.

Last edited by Magna on 10 Oct 2018, 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 8:23 am

https://rewire.news/legislative-tracker/law/north-dakota-human-heartbeat-protection-act/

This is the ND abortion law I was referring to.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 9:18 am

This article appeared a couple months before the 2016 election.
Some Republicans Acknowledge Leveraging Voter ID Laws for Political Gain

Quote:
In April of this year, [2016] Representative Glenn Grothman, Republican of Wisconsin, predicted in a television interview that the state’s photo ID law would weaken the Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton’s chances of winning the state in November’s election.

In that regard, Representative Glenn Grothman, Republican of Wisconsin, was correct.

Trump was certified to have won Wisconsin by a narrow margin --less than 23,000 votes: 1,405,284 votes to Clinton's 1,382,536.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 9:33 am

thoughtbeast wrote:
This article appeared a couple months before the 2016 election.
Some Republicans Acknowledge Leveraging Voter ID Laws for Political Gain
Quote:
In April of this year, [2016] Representative Glenn Grothman, Republican of Wisconsin, predicted in a television interview that the state’s photo ID law would weaken the Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton’s chances of winning the state in November’s election.

In that regard, Representative Glenn Grothman, Republican of Wisconsin, was correct.

Trump was certified to have won Wisconsin by a narrow margin --less than 23,000 votes: 1,405,284 votes to Clinton's 1,382,536.

And I thought Jack Dalrymple was sexist.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 9:37 am

Magna wrote:
Have you seen this? I'm embarrassed for my race. I feel sad that these white people think of black people in those ways. I'd say it's shameful and say shame on them, but instead I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they're just ignorant. Still, it is shocking. It needs to change.

I do have an issue with how the Youtube vid is titled. It should be titled: How some white liberals really view black voters. I hope hope hope that none of you think of black people the way the white people in that short interview do. I know I certainly do not. When I saw this thread today, I instantly thought of that video which is two years old. The white liberals in the video are describing black people as if they're helpless or even mentally defective. Not cool at all. Really bad and very wrong.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 9:56 am

A Dead-Simple Algorithm Reveals the True Toll of Voter ID Laws

Quote:
Once Hersh and Ansolabehere were confident they had properly matched registered voters to their ID records, they used a commercial tool called Catalist to predict each voter's race. That tool analyzes names to determine how likely a given name is to be associated with one race or another. It also accounts for the demographics of the Census block where a given voter lives. Using this tool, the researchers confirmed what voting rights advocates already know to be true—that black voters are more likely to lack adequate identification under voter ID laws. According to the study, 3.6 percent of registered white voters had no match in any state or federal ID database. By contrast, 7.5 percent of black registered voters were missing from those databases.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 10:03 am

thoughtbeast wrote:
A Dead-Simple Algorithm Reveals the True Toll of Voter ID Laws
Quote:
Once Hersh and Ansolabehere were confident they had properly matched registered voters to their ID records, they used a commercial tool called Catalist to predict each voter's race. That tool analyzes names to determine how likely a given name is to be associated with one race or another. It also accounts for the demographics of the Census block where a given voter lives. Using this tool, the researchers confirmed what voting rights advocates already know to be true—that black voters are more likely to lack adequate identification under voter ID laws. According to the study, 3.6 percent of registered white voters had no match in any state or federal ID database. By contrast, 7.5 percent of black registered voters were missing from those databases.

Can you believe the people in that video actually feel that way about black people? I can't. But.....let's skirt the issue, yes?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 10:09 am

I've found that minority people don't share the same views that white liberals have about them.

For instance Indians refer to themselves as Indians, not Native Americans. That was something white liberals invented for them, not something they asked to be called. The only person likely to be offended by calling an Indian and Indian, is a white liberal.

Magna wrote:

This second half video is why liberals are referred to as racist. Saying that people who aren't white and are low income are completely helpless and can't get an ID or diver's licence, can't get to a dmv etc. Like they're too primitive to manage. I imagine they find that to be extremely insulting.

Last edited by EzraS on 10 Oct 2018, 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 10:15 am

It is true what you say. They don't get offended by being called "Indians." They feel "native American" is condescending.

The truth, though, is that the term "Indian" for the native Americans was the result of a mistake on Christopher Columbus' part. He thought he had discovered a trade route to the "Indies" when he happened upon Hispaniola. He saw people there, obviously. He thought he was in the "Indies," so he called these people "Indians."

The name stuck.

I would say "First Nations," which is what the Canadians call indigenous Americans, would probably be better than "Native Americans." Because the First Nations people were "there" FIRST. And many of them were part of a "nation."

If an American indigenous person wants to be called an "Indian," call he/she an "Indian."

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 10 Oct 2018, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 10:18 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It is true what you say. They don't get offended by being called "Indians." They feel "native American" is condescending.

The truth, though, is that the term "Indian" for the native Americans was the result of a mistake on Christopher Columbus' part. He thought he had discovered a trade route to the "Indies" when he happened upon Hispaniola. He saw people there, obviously. He thought he was in the "Indies," so he called these people "Indians."

The name stuck.

Exactly it's just white sjw pc nonsense, that they try to force on everyone.

Last edited by EzraS on 10 Oct 2018, 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 10:22 am

EzraS wrote:
I've found that minority people don't share the same views that white liberals have about them.

For instance Indians refer to themselves as Indians, not Native Americans. That was something white liberals invented for them, not something they asked to be called. The only person likely to be offended by calling an Indian and Indian, is a white liberal.

Magna wrote:

This second half video is why liberals are referred to as racist. Saying that people who aren't white and are low income are completely helpless and can't get an ID or diver's licence, can't get to a dmv etc. Like they're too primitive to manage. I imagine they find that to be extremely insulting.

I don't blame them a bit at being extremely insulted. I would be EXTREMELY insulted if I were black and I watched the video and heard the things those white people in the video were saying. I would almost think it wasn't real and was a bad joke or something.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2018, 10:28 am

Magna wrote:
EzraS wrote:

Magna wrote:

I don't blame them a bit at being extremely insulted. I would be EXTREMELY insulted if I were black and I watched the video and heard the things those white people in the video were saying. I would almost think it wasn't real and was a bad joke or something.

To me it's just like a white supremacist saying black people aren't as capable or intelligent as white people.

I also think it's really just yet another politically motivated tactic that's likely to backfire.

A GOP slogan could be, "we're not the ones who think you're incapable of possessing an ID".

I also take note of how the white people all say almost the same exact things about black people, like they're programmed robots.