Democrats Skimming Money from Hurricane Relief Donations

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 12:16 pm

Never let a good crisis go to waste, as Obama henchman Rahm Emanuel used to say.

Florida’s Sen. Bill Nelson steers would-be hurricane relief donors to Democratic bundling PAC

As the devastating storm surge of Hurricane Michael recedes, Florida’s U.S. Senator Bill Nelson is raising money. He’s raising it purportedly for relief to victims of the hurricane, the third strongest to hit the U.S. coast in recorded history. But as Cameron Cawthorne reports at the Washington Free Beacon, Nelson’s recent email encouraging donors to give to relief organizations ends up sending them to a Democratic bundling PAC called ActBlue.

"Sen. Bill Nelson (D., Fla.) on Wednesday sent out an email encouraging people to donate money for hurricane disaster relief with a list of nonprofit groups that provide aid, but he did not disclose that the links for each group direct users to the website of ActBlue, an organization that helps Democrats raise money and saves donor emails for future fundraising efforts."

https://libertyunyielding.com/2018/10/1 ... dling-pac/

There Are Four Lights!

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 12:30 pm

Here is what ActBlue actually is:

Quote:
ActBlue is a nonprofit, building fundraising technology for the left

We develop top-of-the-line fundraising software and offer simple, intuitive tools to help campaigns and organizations connect with new and existing grassroots donors. As a result, nonprofits thrive and Democratic campaigns get more donations through ActBlue than any other platform. Together, we build powerful movements.

How do we make that happen? Well, first we test and retest our contribution forms to maximize conversion rates. We make it as easy as possible to give, no matter where the donor is, or on what device they’re using. And we make it free for campaigns and organizations — no tricks or add-ons. And with a top-notch tech team, our tools are always dependable, and we’re always working to upgrade them.

That’s why a majority of Democratic Senate and House campaigns — along with the DCCC, DSCC, DGA, over one-third of statewide campaigns, and advocacy organizations around the country — have chosen ActBlue.

https://secure.actblue.com/about

So a fundraising tool.

Any evidence at all of skimming money?

Even the article you link to tellingly doesn't say "skimming" or anything of that nature.

Since B19 mentioned thread titles such as yours yesterday, B19 has been alerted.

B19 wrote:
Please stop creating these baiting threads in which you post carefully cherry picked material that suits your particular agenda, then embellish it with deliberately inflammatory titles as a preface to a political rant.

This propaganda method is ruining the news forum and it needs to stop.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 2:50 pm

I think fake news articles/articles from propaganda websites shouldn't be allowed to be posted in the news and current events forum.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 2:54 pm

^agree.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 3:00 pm

Avoiding posting links to partisan websites might help things, but I think the list would be very long. I don't post many links to articles, etc but when I do I try to avoid posting links from BOTH Breitbart and HuffPo since it would be impossible to argue that either isn't partisan.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 3:16 pm

Funny how there are now more than *twenty* far-left posts on the News and Current Events front page, and nobody seems to mind about that. But when a few anti-leftist posts start to turn up -- in part because leftist hecklers get consolidated anti-leftist threads shut down, threads that keep the board from getting cluttered -- then people get bent out of shape. How about that. :lol:

There Are Four Lights!

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 3:27 pm

Darmok wrote:
Funny how there are now more than *twenty* far-left posts on the News and Current Events front page, and nobody seems to mind about that. But when a few anti-leftist posts start to turn up -- in part because leftist hecklers get consolidated anti-leftist threads shut down, threads that keep the board from getting cluttered -- then people get bent out of shape. How about that. :lol:

You have a point. "Propaganda" as someone put it is in no way exclusive to one side or another. Partisan left and partisan right The 'partisan right = fake news but partisan left can't be fake news' belief doesn't hold water.

I like looking at both partisan left and right sites. I look at Huffpo often. I like the fact that I don't even have to think about where they sit on issues. It's completely obvious, for example, that Huffpo will always be in the "If Trump cured cancer we'd rail him for putting the oncologists out of business" camp and conversely, many of the partisan right sites will predictably always side with Trump. If neither side tries to portray itself as being objective in such issues, I don't see a problem.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 3:42 pm

karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
I think fake news articles/articles from propaganda websites shouldn't be allowed to be posted in the news and current events forum.

Yeah, so maybe an "elections" forum.

The propaganda can still be fun to read. :twisted:

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 3:56 pm

Magna wrote:
Darmok wrote:

You have a point. "Propaganda" as someone put it is in no way exclusive to one side or another. Partisan left and partisan right The 'partisan right = fake news but partisan left can't be fake news' belief doesn't hold water.

I like looking at both partisan left and right sites. I look at Huffpo often. I like the fact that I don't even have to think about where they sit on issues. It's completely obvious, for example, that Huffpo will always be in the "If Trump cured cancer we'd rail him for putting the oncologists out of business" camp and conversely, many of the partisan right sites will predictably always side with Trump. If neither side tries to portray itself as being objective in such issues, I don't see a problem.

The biggest issue is determining that the news we digest is actually factual. Partisans aren't usually concerned with that. It's up to us to dig and research further -- and "subtract the spin," to quote Frank Zappa.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 6:57 pm

I miss all the Ring of Fire and The Young Turks videos being posted here.

News and Current Events turned to s**t a long time ago.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2018, 9:01 pm

What's "fake" and what's "propaganda" is subjective, is it not. To the Left, Fox is fake; to the Right, WashPo is fake. How 'bout if the deciding factor is reached by each user, themselves----just like deciding what TV show to watch, or changing the channel----they can click-on / read it, or skip it; that way no one's dictating what people can and can't post.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2018, 12:22 am

Campin_Cat wrote:

What's "fake" and what's "propaganda" is subjective, is it not. To the Left, Fox is fake; to the Right, WashPo is fake. How 'bout if the deciding factor is reached by each user, themselves----just like deciding what TV show to watch, or changing the channel----they can click-on / read it, or skip it; that way no one's dictating what people can and can't post.

This forum is best described as "political mudslinging" and not actual news.

Mudslinging: the use of insults and accusations, especially unjust ones, with the aim of damaging the reputation of an opponent.

1. For example, This topic claims "skimming", but that's not accurate.

The article explains that "Code Blue" takes a processing fee, which is normal for donation organizations.

2. Another topic states "Trump is another fascist brick on a wall". Some random person says, "Neo Nazism is on the rise" with no explanation of what that means, and somehow that's tied to Trump.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2018, 12:58 am

Campin_Cat wrote:

You can probable argue what could be considered propaganda, but fake news is easy to define: it is news that is easily disprovable lies. If it's not factual it's fake news. Facts are not subjective. There are no "alternative facts"--there are just provable facts, the kind supported by evidence and reality.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2018, 3:36 am

According to the left, Fox news aka "faux (fake) news" is fake news and therefore anything resembling Fox no matter how MSM it is, is "fake news" according to them.

The left invented the term "fake news" long before Trump was cited as coining the phrase.

There's lots of stuff in the news, left and right, that can't be proven because it's an ongoing investigation or it's according to anonymous sources et al.

It seems most left slanted articles posted here, whatever the source, have "according to the Washington Post" in them. And it seems 9 out of 10 times the Washington Post says what's according to them, is according to an unknown or anonymous source.

Good luck finding any solid evidence on most of that. Usually conjecture alone is considered as evidence, especially if it's our intelligence agencies doing the conjecturing.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2018, 5:21 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Campin_Cat wrote:

This forum is best described as "political mudslinging" and not actual news.

Mudslinging: the use of insults and accusations, especially unjust ones, with the aim of damaging the reputation of an opponent.

1. For example, This topic claims "skimming", but that's not accurate.

The article explains that "Code Blue" takes a processing fee, which is normal for donation organizations.

2. Another topic states "Trump is another fascist brick on a wall". Some random person says, "Neo Nazism is on the rise" with no explanation of what that means, and somehow that's tied to Trump.

Preach it, sister! (wink)