Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2018, 9:53 am

Former Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor announces dementia diagnosis

Quote:
Retired Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor, the first woman to ever serve on the highest court in the land, has been diagnosed with dementia and is battling the early stages of the disease, she announced in a public letter addressed to "friends and fellow Americans" on Tuesday morning.

Some time ago, doctors diagnosed me with the beginning stages of dementia, probably Alzheimer's disease," O'Connor wrote, explaining that the condition has progressed to the point that she can no longer participate in public life.

"Since many people have asked about my current status and activities, I want to be open about these changes, and while I am still able, share some personal thoughts," she said. Her primary goal since retiring from the Supreme Court 12 years ago, she said, has been promoting civic engagement – advocating for Americans to "understand our Constitution and unique system of government, and participate actively in their communities."

She spoke of the program she wrote, iCivics, which teaches children across the country.

"I will continue living in Phoenix, Arizona, surrounded by dear friends and family. While the final chapter of my life with dementia may be trying, nothing has diminished my gratitude and deep appreciation for the countless blessings in my life," O'Connor wrote.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2018, 9:56 am

Aww ... bummer. She's one of the few justices whom I could respect, even when I disagreed with her decisions. Such a brilliant mind. I hope she can beat it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2018, 9:58 am

Dementia sucks!

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2018, 10:34 am

Dementia is such a tragedy. She is brave to face it so publicly. She served our country well. I hope her experiences here on out are filled with love and caring.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2018, 1:21 pm

wow

didn't know she was still alive

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2018, 5:44 pm