Trumpster arrested as the MAGAbomber

Page 10 of 12 [ 181 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 4:00 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
If illegal immigrants were taking migrant farm work from Americans you'd have a point, but they're not. That's hard, back breaking work almost no Americans will do because the pay is so terrible. Only illegals are willing to do that sort of work. As for other industries where people are losing their jobs, it has absolutely nothing to do with legal or illegal immigration, but with mechanization, and outsourcing by American business people who are too cheap to pay American workers not just a living wage, but one in which American workers can thrive.

That's the right wing talking point.

AMAZED to see you say it. 8O

The left wing groups say, "Raise the minimum wage" and Americans will do that work.

Oh, I absolutely agree, raise the minimum wage, not necessarily because Americans will work like they're on meth, but because they'll have more buying power to further grow the economy. But if past history is any indication, few Americans are going to do migrant farm worker labor.

Why wouldn't destiute Americans do farm work? They certainly used to be the majority based on photos of displaced farm workers during the dust bowl. I think what it comes down to is why pay an indigent American a dollar when you can pay an illegal 50 cents.

Right now, with the possibility of crops being left out in the fields to rot, farmers would be more than happy to have anyone come to work for them. But no one is, as Mexican migrant workers are not crossing the border to work as they once had. That isn't just my opinion, it's fact.

If they refuse to pay min wage or more then they deserve to go under.
Obama’s Government paid farmers to have crops rot

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 4:05 am

cberg wrote:
Actually to Ezra's point a lot of immigration could increase pressure to create cheap housing and provide a labor supply, the capital interests in property development are already in place here.

0.o
It’ll just mean more homeless. New York has tons of people has it brought down housing prices or made them higher.
There’s lots of homeless and loads and loads of empty houses but banks would rather burn them down then take less, more poor homeless people won’t suddenly make the banks lower prices.
We have a surplus labor supplie as it with a every decreasing labor need. How is bringing in tens of millions more poor people going help?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 4:07 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
As we are a nation of immigrants who considers altruism to be a virtue, we do have a responsibility to help immigrants fleeing from danger.
Of course most Trump supporters aren't Alt Right. But Trump has always appealed to the extreme to the point of exaggerating their numbers. That's why when running for office he had quoted racist sites that claimed most white murder victims are killed by blacks (they're not), or why he had lifted an Antisemitic internet meme of a greedy, compromised Hilary Clinton alongside a Jewish Star of David (no, it wasn't a marshal's badge).

I disagree. I think a majority of Americans have national pride and don't like dealing with foreigners. That includes black americans and even believe it or not Hispanic ones as well.

Just as northerners and the west coast looks down on southerners as redneck hicks, people from some Spanish speaking countries feel the same way about other Spanish speaking countries.

Nobody was happy about the Irish pouring in to get away from the potato famine either. They were utterly despised by both white and black americans.

Bill Clinton was very pro immigration control and had strong words about fortifying our southern boarder.

I don't think this open arms idealism truly exists within the majority of humanity, even if they profess otherwise.

As for the other stuff you're talking about, I have to see it or hear in from the source in full context, before I can make a determination.

fwiw I personally couldn't care less who moves in. I'm used to a multiracial environment and even a multiracial family.

While nativism is back again (it comes in waves), that hardly means it's right. And I disagree that most Americans are against immigration. If anything, you're proving my argument about prejudice among some Trump voters, as they're the ones doing most of the screaming about immigration.
By the way, I am a proud American, and I am delighted that foreigners still want to join our nation.

Liberals can't say anything negative about illegal imagination, because their own kind would reject them brand them as racists.

Bill Clinton had plenty to say against illegal immigration, tougher immigration laws and fortifying the border, but that was then I guess.

Sly has the best point of all. Homelessness is increasing exponentially. There are thousands of Americans living in tents all over the place now. This isn't a good time for tens of thousands of new people pouring in here.

ImageImage

If illegal immigrants were taking migrant farm work from Americans you'd have a point, but they're not. That's hard, back breaking work almost no Americans will do because the pay is so terrible. Only illegals are willing to do that sort of work. As for other industries where people are losing their jobs, it has absolutely nothing to do with legal or illegal immigration, but with mechanization, and outsourcing by American business people who are too cheap to pay American workers not just a living wage, but one in which American workers can thrive.

Why do you and your party hate poor Americans so much?
You just see all the poor as lazy like conservatives. Most poor Americans would work that wor if the farms didn’t have illegals to do it for half the money under the table.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 4:13 am

sly279 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
As we are a nation of immigrants who considers altruism to be a virtue, we do have a responsibility to help immigrants fleeing from danger.
Of course most Trump supporters aren't Alt Right. But Trump has always appealed to the extreme to the point of exaggerating their numbers. That's why when running for office he had quoted racist sites that claimed most white murder victims are killed by blacks (they're not), or why he had lifted an Antisemitic internet meme of a greedy, compromised Hilary Clinton alongside a Jewish Star of David (no, it wasn't a marshal's badge).

I disagree. I think a majority of Americans have national pride and don't like dealing with foreigners. That includes black americans and even believe it or not Hispanic ones as well.

Just as northerners and the west coast looks down on southerners as redneck hicks, people from some Spanish speaking countries feel the same way about other Spanish speaking countries.

Nobody was happy about the Irish pouring in to get away from the potato famine either. They were utterly despised by both white and black americans.

Bill Clinton was very pro immigration control and had strong words about fortifying our southern boarder.

I don't think this open arms idealism truly exists within the majority of humanity, even if they profess otherwise.

As for the other stuff you're talking about, I have to see it or hear in from the source in full context, before I can make a determination.

fwiw I personally couldn't care less who moves in. I'm used to a multiracial environment and even a multiracial family.

While nativism is back again (it comes in waves), that hardly means it's right. And I disagree that most Americans are against immigration. If anything, you're proving my argument about prejudice among some Trump voters, as they're the ones doing most of the screaming about immigration.
By the way, I am a proud American, and I am delighted that foreigners still want to join our nation.

Liberals can't say anything negative about illegal imagination, because their own kind would reject them brand them as racists.

Bill Clinton had plenty to say against illegal immigration, tougher immigration laws and fortifying the border, but that was then I guess.

Sly has the best point of all. Homelessness is increasing exponentially. There are thousands of Americans living in tents all over the place now. This isn't a good time for tens of thousands of new people pouring in here.

ImageImage

Why do you and your party hate poor Americans so much?
You just see all the poor as lazy like conservatives. Most poor Americans would work that wor if the farms didn’t have illegals to do it for half the money under the table.

I do no such thing. My wife and I are so poor we don't have a pot to piss in. Reread my post and you'll see I put the blame on business elites, not poor and working people.
As for your other post: Obama was hardly the first President to pay farmers not to bring their crops to market.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 4:27 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Right now, with the possibility of crops being left out in the fields to rot, farmers would be more than happy to have anyone come to work for them. But no one is, as Mexican migrant workers are not crossing the border to work as they once had. That isn't just my opinion, it's fact.

I'm not seeing massive produce shortages in the US Foods Famer's Report

https://www.usfoods.com/our-services/bu ... ml#PRODUCE

To be sure it's not everyone, and likely there will still be produce in stores. But plenty of farmers might go under because of this.

The facts presented in the US Foods Farmers report does not indicate that.

This is the usual superstition and myth I see the left comming up with. If we enforce or borders like Bill Clinton insisted we need to do, Americans will starve.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 4:39 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I do no such thing. My wife and I are so poor we don't have a pot to piss in. Reread my post and you'll see I put the blame on business elites, not poor and working people.
As for your other post: Obama was hardly the first President to pay farmers not to bring their crops to market.

Saying no Americans would work farming jobs is calling them lazy and untrue
Tons of Americans work farming jobs here for 15-17 an hour, whole lot better then being homeless and unpaid.

So it’s ok he does it cause others did too? How do you expect anything to change if it’s ok to be bad if others were bad, what would your mom told you if you said but mom they did it too?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 5:12 am

sly279 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Saying no Americans would work farming jobs is calling them lazy and untrue
Tons of Americans work farming jobs here for 15-17 an hour, whole lot better then being homeless and unpaid.

So it’s ok he does it cause others did too? How do you expect anything to change if it’s ok to be bad if others were bad, what would your mom told you if you said but mom they did it too?

There's farm work, then there's working in the fields for long, strenuous hours with little payment. It's not a matter of Americans being lazy. But if Americans want to do that sort of work (Jack Kerouac had), they'll find themselves literally working for slave wages.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 5:31 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
There's farm work, then there's working in the fields for long, strenuous hours with little payment. It's not a matter of Americans being lazy. But if Americans want to do that sort of work (Jack Kerouac had), they'll find themselves literally working for slave wages.

Wow, you're sounding like a Republican now.

We need illegal aliens, because who will pick the lettuce, argued George Bush's Homeland Security Secretary Chertoff.

Americans won't work for such low pay.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 6:44 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Wow, you're sounding like a Republican now.

We need illegal aliens, because who will pick the lettuce, argued George Bush's Homeland Security Secretary Chertoff.

Americans won't work for such low pay.

Looks like the roles have reversed in comparison to Bush and Ciinton.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 9:51 am

I wish people would put themselves in the shoes of the migrants from Central America. Look at things from THEIR viewpoint.

Many people who started off being "illegal aliens" became legal, and put their kids through college. They paid their share of taxes. They WANTED to pay taxes. I know quite a few families like this.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 10:15 am

Maybe I'm putting myself in the shoes of hundreds of thousands of americans living in tents.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 10:49 am

The question is: How did some of them wind up in those tents?

For some, it was beyond their control; for others, though----it was in their control; it could have been avoided.

I believe we should all give people a fair shake. Look at the history of all those people.

Immigration is really a tough issue. The side which seeks to limit immigration has good points. We have to monitor who comes into our country.

But most of the immigrants themselves have good points, too. They want a better life for their families, usually. Most of these people are people like us----just seeking a fair shake.

Really, both sides have good points.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 11:06 am

I was told in Seattle for a log time the main homeless population dwelt in a specific area under I-5. Now there's tents everywhere. It's an exponential increase that seems to match the exponential lack of affordable housing. And it exists in many places throughout our country. Not that I'm unsympathetic to immigrants. But there is another side to the needful and how much America seems to be failing to look after its own.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 11:13 am

I don’t disagree with that.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 11:19 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
The question is: How did some of them wind up in those tents?
According to the most recent annual survey by the U.S. Conference of Mayors, major cities across the country report that top causes of homelessness among families were...

#1. lack of affordable housing
#2. unemployment
#3. poverty
#4. low wages

... in that order. The same report found that the top four causes of homelessness among unaccompanied individuals were...

#1. lack of affordable housing
#2. unemployment
#3. poverty
#4. mental illness and the lack of needed services
#5. substance abuse and the lack of needed services.

Source: This Fact Sheet from the National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2018, 11:27 am

I do understand that viewpoint that we have to "take care of our own." That makes lots of sense. There's no argument against that from me.

But to demonize immigrants as "criminals"---when all they want is a fair shake--is dead wrong, in my opinion.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 29 Oct 2018, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.