Florida yoga studio shootings - Incel terrorism?

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 5:53 pm

Tallahassee gunman reported for harassing women, police say; records show groping case dropped

Quote:
The man suspected of shooting two women at a Tallahassee, Florida, yoga studio had been accused of harassing women in the area, according to police, and reportedly made misogynistic remarks on YouTube videos.

In one instance, he was accused and slapping, grabbing and shaking a 19-year-old woman's backside at Tallahassee apartment complex's swimming pool, but the case was never prosecuted.

Scott Paul Beierle, 40, posed as a customer when he walked into Hot Yoga Tallahassee on Friday evening and fired a handgun without warning, police said.
The yoga students fought back, police said, but two women were killed and five people were wounded. The gunman had fatally shot himself by the time officers arrived, Tallahassee Police Chief Michael DeLeo said.

The man suspected of shooting two women at a Tallahassee, Florida, yoga studio had been accused of harassing women in the area, according to police, and reportedly made misogynistic remarks on YouTube videos.

In one instance, he was accused and slapping, grabbing and shaking a 19-year-old woman's backside at Tallahassee apartment complex's swimming pool, but the case was never prosecuted.
Scott Paul Beierle, 40, posed as a customer when he walked into Hot Yoga Tallahassee on Friday evening and fired a handgun without warning, police said.

The yoga students fought back, police said, but two women were killed and five people were wounded. The gunman had fatally shot himself by the time officers arrived, Tallahassee Police Chief Michael DeLeo said.

In the videos, Beierle recounted instances in which he was rejected by women, The Times reported.

"Made one date, didn't show up," he said of one woman. "Made another date, didn't show up. Kept making excuses. Ah, I could've ripped her head off."

I don't think a female can ever understand the societal pressure that's put on an adolescent male to unburden himself of this stigma that society's put on him," he said. "This virginity burden."

The videos had titles like, "Plight of the Adolescent Male" and "Dangers of Diversity."
According to the newspaper, Beierle was sympathetic toward Elliot Rodger, who killed six people and wounded 14 others in 2014 near the University of California, Santa Barbara.
Rodger had written a manifesto in which he lamented his virginity, which he blamed on the "cruelness of women."

Beierle said that as an adolescent he could relate to "this endless wasteland that breeds this longing and this frustration," The Times reported.

Tallahassee yogis as well as the healthcare and college communities are mourning the two women killed in Friday's shooting: Maura Binkley, 21, and Nancy Van Vessem, 61.

Binkley "knew how to work with people in a positive way," said her father, Jeff Binkley.
"She just radiated love for everybody. You could see her life shines through just about everybody she met. That's consolation to us."

The young woman grew up in the Atlanta area and was attending Florida State University, where she was a member of the Delta Delta Delta sorority.

After spending the summer studying in Germany, Binkley was back for what would have been her last year in school. She planned to graduate in May with a double major in English and German, according to her family.

A faculty member at Florida State, she was the chief medical director for Florida's Capital Health Plan, the Tallahassee Democrat reported.

She was in charge of coordinating third- and fourth-year clerkship rotations in internal medicine at the school's medical school, according to the Florida State College of Medicine's website.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2018, 7:22 pm

Another Incel, definitely.
For the record, I had spent years alone and miserable in my youth, but never once did I ever want to hurt anyone.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 6:35 am

According to 6 USCS § 101, the term terrorism is "any activity that--
(A) involves an act that--
(i) is dangerous to human life or potentially destructive of critical infrastructure or key resources; and
(ii) is a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State or other subdivision of the United States; and
(B) appears to be intended--
(i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
(ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or
(iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping."

To the extent that the attack was "dangerous to human life and "a violation of the criminal laws of the United States", and "appears to (have been) intended...to intimidate or coerce a civilian population (women)", yeah; it rises to the de jure definition of 'terrorism' (but we'll never call it that because he was a WASP male).

"Beierle posted several videos...that painted himself as the victim of “treachery” by many of the “females” he has wanted to “court.” ...he appeared to identify as an “incel,”...Beierle reportedly said he related to Elliot Rodger, the man who wrote a manifesto detailing his hatred of women before embarking on a shooting rampage in California, where he killed six people."

So, yes; he was an incel, and yes; it was a terrorist act.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 7:11 am

What's his mental illness?

He's described as ..

-an odd loner
-he walked with a strange exaggerated gait
-pulled his socks all the way up
-made inappropriate comments
-fixated on misogynistic and racist ideas
-refused to put on pants when people came over
-criminal history of inappropriate touching (battery)

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 9:11 am

There is no evidence of B.

Great way to spread fear and coerce a population or government, put a bullet in yourself and end the threat of you. This and the other thing in the discussion forum aren't terrorism. It was just some nutjob raging at the World, like Rodger actually, planning to die and take some people with him.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 2:06 pm

Drake wrote:

Great way to spread fear and coerce a population or government, put a bullet in yourself and end the threat of you. This and the other thing in the discussion forum aren't terrorism. It was just some nutjob raging at the World, like Rodger actually, planning to die and take some people with him.

Says a male who is in no way impacted by the behavior of men like Beierle. Women might have a much different perspective.

Last edited by Piobaire on 05 Nov 2018, 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 2:14 pm

If it looks like a duck, waddles like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 2:14 pm

Yet there are many people who won't use the term "terrorism" unless there is a extremist political agenda involved.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 2:21 pm

Florida yoga hero used vacuum and broom to fight gunman

Quote:
A Florida man is being hailed as a hero after he confronted a rampaging gunman using the only weapons he could find in a yoga studio - a broom and a vacuum.

"I jumped up as quickly as I could," Josh Quick told ABC News. He said he wrestled with the attacker after his handgun appeared to jam.

One woman told the network the fight allowed her to flee the attack.

"Thanks to him I was able to rush out the door," Daniela Garcia Albalat told the Good Morning America programme.
She was in the class at Hot Yoga Tallahassee on Friday, and was shot through the thigh.

He saved my life," she said through tears, explaining how she thought she was going to die.
Mr Quick, who had visible facial injuries, told ABC on Sunday how the yogis "were huddled in a corner" when the gunfire began and that the gunman stopped firing as he approached the group.
"I picked up the only thing nearby to hit him with, which was a vacuum cleaner, and I hit him over the head," Mr Quick recalled.
The 40-year-old gunman, "turned and pistol-whipped me," he said, adding that he fell to the floor but did not lose consciousness.

"I jumped up, ran over and grabbed the only other thing that I could find - which is a broomstick - and I hit him over the head with that.
"Again, he pushed me off, but some people were able to run out of the room."
The shooter then killed himself, police say. He was discovered with a self-inflicted gunshot wound around 17:40 local time (21:40 GMT).

These are the victims of the Florida yoga studio shooting
Quote:
One woman was a renowned doctor with an illustrious career spanning decades.

The other was on the cusp of graduating college, eager to launch a career helping others.

Binkley was a 21-year-old student at Florida State, university President John Thrasher said.
She grew up in the Atlanta metro area and was known to friends and family for her compassion.
Binkley "just radiated love for everybody," her father Jeff Binkley said.

"You could see her life shines through just about everybody she met," he said. "That's consolation to us."
Binkley was studying for a double major in English and German, according to FSU's website.

She spent this past summer studying at the University of Wuppertal in Germany, the website said.
'The experience is so rewarding and makes the world seem so small," Binkley told Florida State University News this summer.

She planned to graduate in May and was in contention for a Fulbright scholarship to study in Germany, her father said.

Binkley had also applied for a position with Teach for America. On the last day of her young life, Binkley was working on a lesson plan and preparing for an interview with Teach for America.
"She was so excited," her father said.

His daughter had never been particularly political, he said. But she wanted to see change after the Parkland school massacre in February.

After the shooting, Binkley went to the state Capitol with Parkland students and their families to lobby for change.
She later asked her father, "Dad, what can I do? What can I do about this?" he said.

"We talked about it, never dreaming that it was going to be us," Jeff Binkley said.

"She'd want to tell you that people just need to step back and think of losses of all types ... that emanate from our lack of ability to deal in any effective way with pervasive mental illness and the control and regulation of firearms," he said.

"She'd also say she wished nothing but peace and love and care for everybody," he added, choking up and hanging his head.

Binkley's sorority, Delta Delta Delta, called her a "beloved sister" on its Facebook page.
"As a leader in the (Alpha Eta) chapter, Maura embodied the Tri Delta woman -- brave, bold and kind," a statement from President Kimberlee Sullivan said

Van Vessem, 61, was a doctor and chief medical director for Capital Health Plan, according to the Tallahassee Democrat. She was also a faculty member at Florida State, Thrasher said.

According to the Florida State College of Medicine's website, Van Vessem was in charge of coordinating third- and fourth-year clerkship rotations in internal medicine on the school's Tallahassee campus.

She earned her medical degree from St. Louis University, the website said, and her research focus was "restructuring health care for people with multiple chronic diseases."

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 5:43 pm

Piobaire wrote:
Drake wrote:

Says a male who is in no way impacted by the behavior of men like Beierle. Women might have a much different perspective.

Ideologue. How horribly short sighted of you.

You don't think people like this guy and Rodgers won't kill men at the scene or men who try to stop them or men they see as "Chads"? Men died in Rodgers' rampage. Men are very much in the crosshairs of incels.

You don't think there won't be men grieving the deaths of these women who died here?

I bet you didn't think of these things, you just thought MALE!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 8:57 pm

Drake wrote:
Piobaire wrote:
Drake wrote:

Ideologue. How horribly short sighted of you.

You don't think people like this guy and Rodgers won't kill men at the scene or men who try to stop them or men they see as "Chads"? Men died in Rodgers' rampage. Men are very much in the crosshairs of incels.

You don't think there won't be men grieving the deaths of these women who died here?

I bet you didn't think of these things, you just thought MALE!

Maybe he would have killed "chads" there, maybe not, there's no way to tell, now. But what we know is that he made YouTube videos in which he had ranted and raved against women and diversity.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2018, 9:05 pm

Can we stop splitting hairs & just call terrorists terrorists? The only reason for me to care about the questions of who, what, where, when & why are IF & ONLY IF that might serve to protect someone in the future.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 7:40 am

cberg wrote:
Can we stop splitting hairs & just call terrorists terrorists? The only reason for me to care about the questions of who, what, where, when & why are IF & ONLY IF that might serve to protect someone in the future.

Good, so then we can agree that this guy wasn't a terrorist.

There's a difference between a terrorist and an extremist.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 9:32 am

Drake wrote:
cberg wrote:

One can and often are be both.

As of this point we do not know if the guy in the video identifying himself as an incel is the guy who did it and even if he did it what was his thinking at the time, was this spur of the moment action etc? That is why I put a question mark in the title.

If it is the guy in the video and he was trying to advance the idea that women should give men sex whenever they please through violence then he was using violence to advance a social cause and was a terrorist. He apperently lionized other incels who used violence. We may not think incel is a legitimate cause, or is a horrific cause but it is a social cause.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 9:36 am

Drake wrote:
Yeah! Extremists use whatever propaganda means are at hand to spread fear and hatred among the general population, while terrorists use whatever lethal means are at hand to spread fear and hatred among the general population!

The shooter was an Incel Terrorist.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2018, 11:08 am

Drake wrote:
cberg wrote:

He hurt innocent people in a suicide attack.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen: