30 square mile Camp Fire turns deadly

Page 1 of 5 [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2018, 7:09 am

Camp Fire turns deadly, raging to 20,000 acres “That is the worst fire I have ever seen in my life.” - Inferno burns through roughly 1,000 homes

Quote:
PARADISE — Tens of thousands of residents racing to escape a deadly wildfire in Butte County on Thursday jammed roads from Paradise to Chico, according to authorities, as smoke from the blaze choked Bay Area skies.

Some evacuees abandoned their vehicles while trying to flee through an inferno that had burned 20,000 acres and was 20 percent contained by about 7 p.m., according to the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection. Acting Gov. Gavin Newsom declared a state of emergency as the fire claimed multiple lives, injured several others and, according to Capt. Scott McLean, “pretty much” destroyed Paradise...

“The blaze is being driven by fairly strong winds,” said Cal Fire spokesman Rick Carhart. “It’s really dry and we have low humidity — and unfortunately those are great conditions for a fire to spread.”

Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea said the fire was causing a “very dangerous and very serious situation.” Some 27,000 people in the city of Paradise have been ordered to evacuate.

“We’re doing everything we can to get people out of the affected areas,” Honea said.

He confirmed reports that evacuees had to abandon their vehicles as they fled the scene.

“We’re getting them on other vehicles with room. We’re working very hard to get people out. The message I want to get out is if you can evacuate, you need to evacuate,” Honea said...

As many as 50,000 residents have been evacuated, but the Butte County Sheriff’s Office has received hundreds of calls requesting deputies to perform welfare checks on unaccounted people in the fire zone.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2018, 8:36 am

Piobaire wrote:

Trump is HORRIBLE for our national security.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2018, 8:37 am

Here is our local office of the National Weather Service's forecast for the spread of the smoke over the next few days:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1060685102815068160

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2018, 11:08 am

beneficii wrote:

to nobody's surprise.

also to nobody's surprise (in california at least) the end of "fire season"

all year is fire season now. californians had better get used to unrelenting sunshine, ash and chronically smoky air because that is what the future holds.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2018, 5:59 pm

Here where I am in Sacramento, less than 100 miles (160 km) to the south of the fire, I can SMELL the smoke. At about 2 PM local time today, I took this photograph of the sky:

It's smoke that's blanketing the sky.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2018, 6:03 pm

The fire spread so fast that 5 people couldn't make it out in time and were found burned to death in their cars:

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2018, 6:05 pm

Another thread is about Trump

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2018, 6:08 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
Another thread is about Trump

He was the clown who said climate change was a "hoax" by the Chinese. So of course we're going to talk about him when something relevant to climate change comes up.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2018, 6:09 pm

beneficii wrote:
Here where I am in Sacramento, less than 100 miles (160 km) to the south of the fire, I can SMELL the smoke. At about 2 PM local time today, I took this photograph of the sky:

It's smoke that's blanketing the sky.

christ.

santa barbara here. skies are still clear but i believe we're starting to get hints of smoke smell here too from the thousand acres fires.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2018, 7:11 pm

Ono of the towns effected by this fire is, oddly enough, Thousand Oaks.

thoughtbeast
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2018, 8:22 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Ono of the towns effected by this fire is, oddly enough, Thousand Oaks.

Actually, it's another fire - and another 20 square miles - (edit: oops, it's now more than 50 square miles) up in smoke. The Thousand Oaks-related fire is called the Woolsey Fire.

California Wildfires Map

Here's an article about all the fires:

California Wildfires

Here's a video and pictorial essay about the Woolsey Fire:

Woolsey Fire Burns Homes
Homes in the Triunfo Canyon area of Thousand Oaks were under mandatory evacuations. Jonathan Gonzalez reports for the NBC4 News at 10 a.m. on Friday, Nov. 9, 2018. (Published 6 hours ago | Credit: Jonathan Gonzalez, Joel Cooke )

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2018, 8:32 pm

Gosh.

The whole southern part of the state is one big fire hazard.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2018, 10:06 pm

Kiprobalhato,

I first noticed this at about 2 PM, when I saw that the sunlight coming into my house was a faint reddish glow. It looked otherworldly. So I took pictures, obviously.

Also, the temperature started dropping at around that time as the smoke rolled in and blocked out the sun. And at 5 PM this evening, the temperature had already dropped below 50 deg F (10 deg C), which it had not done last night until 10 PM. I was out around 4-5 PM this evening and toward the end noticed how chilly it had gotten.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2018, 7:56 am

That would be … a whole square mile in less than eleven minutes.

An area the size of the District of Columbia every eleven hours.

Imagine if both sides had to stop fighting over the Gaza Strip because there aint nuthin' left to fight over because the whole place just got burned up in less than 24 hours! :lol: That's how fast its spreading!