Judge Says Female Genital Mutilation Law Unconstitutional

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BaronHarkonnen85
Toucan
Toucan

21 Nov 2018, 6:08 pm

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/21/66994599 ... constituti

Quote:
A federal judge in Michigan has dropped most of the charges against a Detroit doctor accused of female genital mutilation, concluding that Congress "overstepped its bounds" when it passed a law banning the practice.

That 1996 law violates the Constitution and is unenforceable, the judge concluded, because in general, criminal law is left to the states — and female genital mutilation should be no exception.

Unfortunately, I don't think the judge is wrong. Regardless, I'd like to see these people executed. I'm thankful my home state is one of 27 that have outlawed this evil practice.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 6:22 pm

It's disgustingly sickening, and the silence among the group that should logically be leading the charge to outlaw the practice globally is sad.

Last edited by Magna on 21 Nov 2018, 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 7:00 pm

———>Incase the eye roll was clear enough The below is sarcasm <——-

Hating on it is hating on culture they do it and such racist. :roll:

Last edited by sly279 on 21 Nov 2018, 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 7:05 pm

No matter how you slice it, female genital mutilation is just dead wrong.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 7:16 pm

(wants to vomit)

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 8:08 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
No matter how you slice it, female genital mutilation is just dead wrong.

I certainly agree
Any genital mutilation should be banned including circumcision

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 8:20 pm

I'm not a celebrant of circumcision, but "female circumcision" is a misnomer. FGM is equivalent to cutting off the entire glans of the penis, a practice that would be rightfully condemned as FGM should be. Also, FGM is performed as an act to dominate and subjugate women, whereas male circumcision is not. They're not therefore, the same thing. Heinous any way you look at it. An awful human rights abuse, period.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 8:25 pm

Magna wrote:
I'm not a celebrant of circumcision, but "female circumcision" is a misnomer. FGM is equivalent to cutting off the entire glans of the penis, a practice that would be rightfully condemned as FGM should be. Also, FGM is performed as an act to dominate and subjugate women, whereas male circumcision is not. They're not therefore, the same thing. Heinous any way you look at it. An awful human rights abuse, period.

Male circumcision isn't performed to restrict men from having sex, or to keep them virgins into adulthood.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 8:28 pm

^^^

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 8:44 pm

If you actually read the article you would probably agree that the law probably IS unconstitutional and that the judge is probably right that Congress cant enact criminal law like that. Strictly speaking: its up to the individual states to make criminal laws to stop things like this.

Strictly speaking.

However judges have been rather "creative" in bending the Constitution before. And the tool to bend the Constitution is usually that same little thing called "the commerce clause". The Founding Fathers said it was alright for Congress to make laws "regulating commerce between the states".

During the civil right Movement of the Sixties the commerce clause was the main bludgeon used to destroy segregation. Hotels could be forbidden to discriminate against serving Blacks because hotels "catered mostly to interstate travelers". in the 1969 case of "Daniel vs Paul" it was ruled that a certain recreational facility could not discriminate because "75 percent of the items sold at its snack bar were shipped in from out of state so the facility was involved in interstate commerce".

If they can stretch it that far (cite snack food) then just about everything an American does (including sleep at night) every moment of the day can be linked to "interstate commerce" in some way, and that includes getting medical procedures done.

So surely there must be some way to use the commerce clause to stop this. Individuals who perform FGM in the US presumably use implements like scalpels that have to be supplied from across state lines. So.. PRESTO...interstate commerce! So the Feds can kick your ass because you're involved in interstate commerce!

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 10:48 pm

Magna wrote:

Cutting the foreskin off is like cutting someone’s clit off. For skin actually has more nerve endings.
Both are wrong and I’d bet both were started to stop sexual desire since did. It know about germs back then

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 10:51 pm

sly279 wrote:
Magna wrote:

Cutting the foreskin off is like cutting someone’s clit off. For skin actually has more nerve endings.
Both are wrong

Agreed, although males can continue to orgasm without a foreskin.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 10:53 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Magna wrote:

Male circumcision isn't performed to restrict men from having sex, or to keep them virgins into adulthood.

Today no back the. Probably it cuts off 20,000 nerve endings.

Quote:
The foreskin, containing 20,000 nerve endings as opposed to the 8,000 in a clitoris, is a highly sensitive, functioning part of the male anatomy.

Why do you think people with no concept of germs or bacteria or sexual diseases decided to cut off a highly sensitive part of mans anatomy?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 10:56 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Magna wrote:

Both are wrong

Agreed, although males can continue to orgasm without a foreskin.

True but be it an quite less pleasurable one. But if they cut off a mans penis he couldn’t reproduce. The goal is it limit sexual pleasure not end humanity. We are suppose to reproduce as much as we can’t but not enjoy it. I’d bet seriously that they started it to limit male sexual pleasure same as doing it to women. If males don’t orgasm they don’t ejaculate. The goal is the same, deny sexual pleasure while making sure they still make babies

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 10:58 pm

I’m circumcised. I enjoy sex very much.

With FGM, women can’t have orgasms any more.

It’s a no-brainer. FGM is much worse for the woman than circumcision is for the man. No doubt about that.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2018, 11:05 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I’m circumcised. I enjoy sex very much.

With FGM, women can’t have orgasms any more.

It’s a no-brained. FGM is much worse for the woman than circumcision is for the man. No doubt about that.

FGM = 100% nerve loss. Zero orgasm. Vagina often sewn shut until rape or arranged marriage.

MC = Less than 100% nerve loss. Erection possible. Sex possible. Orgasm possible. No restriction on sexual ability.

I don't advocate for either, but FGM is catastrophic.