This is not news.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2018, 11:17 am

LoveNotHate wrote:
This is not news.

Yeah, it is.

Hate crimes up for third consecutive year.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2018, 3:19 pm

Man, just imagine if you met someone who followed everything that is said in that OP link, how utterly insufferable they would be. I'm only about 2/3 of the way through too.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2018, 3:22 pm

Drake wrote:
Man, just imagine if you met someone who followed everything that is said in that OP link, how utterly insufferable they would be. I'm only about 2/3 of the way through too.

I read a bit of it and it was saying you shouldn't joke about someone with an Italian surname being Maffia how sad is that. The SPLC has no credibility.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2018, 3:24 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
Drake wrote:

I read a bit of it and it was saying you shouldn't joke about someone with an Italian surname being Maffia how sad is that. The SPLC has no credibility.

Teachers and students across the country report hearing biased language every day: “That’s so lame.” “How ret*d.” “That’s so ghetto.” “She’s psycho.” “He’s bipolar.” Here are some ideas to help stem the tide:

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2018, 3:25 pm

Drake wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:
Drake wrote:

Teachers and students across the country report hearing biased language every day: “That’s so lame.” “How ret*d.” “That’s so ghetto.” “She’s psycho.” “He’s bipolar.” Here are some ideas to help stem the tide:

This oppression towards Psychopaths has to stop :roll:

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2018, 3:28 pm

That's the last part I read before coming here as it's such an oh ffs! part of it.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2018, 3:36 pm

There is no such thing as a 'hate crime'. The reason they go up is because new categories are created and they have become more about the person feeling they are a victim. People are also encouraged by advertising to report them.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

puzzledoll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Nov 2018, 3:45 pm

I seriously can't believe anyone is taking issue with that article. I mean this is basic common decency stuff here. Like when my son came to me completely uncomfortable because a friend was mocking something calling it "So autistic!" I helped him find the words to explain to his friend how hurtful saying something like that could be. There is never a need to mock another group just to make a statement. There is an entire dictionary full of ways to say things that aren't insulting. This very much still is a HUGE issue in society!

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2018, 3:48 pm

puzzledoll wrote:
I seriously can't believe anyone is taking issue with that article. I mean this is basic common decency stuff here. Like when my son came to me completely uncomfortable because a friend was mocking something calling it "So autistic!" I helped him find the words to explain to his friend how hurtful saying something like that could be. There is never a need to mock another group just to make a statement. There is an entire dictionary full of ways to say things that aren't insulting. This very much still is a HUGE issue in society!

It's mean and horrible but it's not a crime.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

puzzledoll
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Nov 2018, 4:25 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
puzzledoll wrote:

It becomes one depending on how people act on their internalized issues. And using wording that makes such things feel "acceptable" leads to people acting out. The rise of racist awfulness in America is evidence of that.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2018, 4:39 pm

puzzledoll wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
puzzledoll wrote:

It becomes one depending on how people act on their internalized issues. And using wording that makes such things feel "acceptable" leads to people acting out. The rise of racist awfulness in America is evidence of that.

It's been brewing for years because of identity politics. A crime is a crime. It doesn't need "hate" in front of it.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2018, 4:51 pm

...Interesting.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2018, 6:03 pm

Mass shootings: record number
Police killings: record number
Education system: failing
Hard drugs use: epidemic level
Economy: Improving, but still crap.

But there is one issue that plagues us far worse than any other, and it's hate speech! Yes, the number one priority should be stopping all this mean name calling. Forget everything else, we gotta focus on making laws banning kids from saying "That's lame", since it may kill as many lives as the others mentioned, but it does kill far more spirits. Yep, I can think of nothing more important to work on first.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2018, 6:10 pm

modernmax wrote:
Mass shootings: record number
Police killings: record number
Education system: failing
Hard drugs use: epidemic level
Economy: Improving, but still crap.

But there is one issue that plagues us far worse than any other, and it's hate speech! Yes, the number one priority should be stopping all this mean name calling. Forget everything else, we gotta focus on making laws banning kids from saying "That's lame", since it may kill as many lives as the others mentioned, but it does kill far more spirits. Yep, I can think of nothing more important to work on first.

Homelessness insane levels and foreign policy destroying the world but yeah you're right, you need to focus on feelings first.