Elizabeth Warren Running for President in 2020

Page 4 of 18 [ 278 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 18  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 12:13 am

there is IMHO not a critical mass of thoughtful people here in amuuuurica, sufficient for a representative democracy to function for very long, before degenerating into some kind of tyranny.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 3:18 am

auntblabby wrote:
there is IMHO not a critical mass of thoughtful people here in amuuuurica, sufficient for a representative democracy to function for very long, before degenerating into some kind of tyranny.

Hence the dangers of populism, as the angry masses can be controlled by a power seeking demagogue - like we have now.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 3:35 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Hence the dangers of populism, as the angry masses can be controlled by a power seeking demagogue - like we have now.

I wonder how huey long would have turned out? the PTB snuffed him out early on, whereas the PTB are rewarding il trumpo for his fascist ways.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 3:43 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I wonder how huey long would have turned out? the PTB snuffed him out early on, whereas the PTB are rewarding il trumpo for his fascist ways.

Long certainly scared a lot of people during his political career. My late dad had told me how there was talk of Washington state seceding if he got elected to the Presidency. His followers in Louisiana were of the opinion that Huey was more important than democracy. In comparison to Trump, Huey Long was a helluva lot smarter and competent.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 3:45 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Long certainly scared a lot of people during his political career. My late dad had told me how there was talk of Washington state seceding if he got elected to the Presidency. His followers in Louisiana were of the opinion that Huey was more important than democracy. In comparison to Trump, Huey Long was a helluva lot smarter and competent.

what did Washington state have against Long?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 4:08 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I think many Washingtonians associated him with the fascists across the Atlantic.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2019, 9:34 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I think many Washingtonians associated him with the fascists across the Atlantic.

My guess is that it had to do with Long being from Louisiana, which for decades, was a big hotbed for corruption.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2019, 1:15 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

My guess is that it had to do with Long being from Louisiana, which for decades, was a big hotbed for corruption.

While that doubtlessly was part of it, I think the fear that Long was a populist demagogue was the primary reason.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2019, 4:20 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

sorta like how many MAGAs somehow see "Nazi" in liberals, I suppose.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

06 Jan 2019, 4:42 am

I looked up Long and he seems to have had some good ideas. The corporates and oil interests didn't like him.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2019, 10:57 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

sorta like how many MAGAs somehow see "Nazi" in liberals, I suppose.

Maybe.

Heat844
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jan 2019, 11:45 pm

If a Republican candidate had this in the background of their video, they would have to drop out of the race in 5 minutes. But its perfectly OK when when its in the background of a Democrat's video :roll: : Image
I really couldn't care less. Its just the hypocrisy that bothers me.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2019, 1:22 pm

There Are Four Lights!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2019, 3:18 pm

Darmok wrote:

And the point is...?

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2019, 5:00 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
[
And the point is...?

She's was a POC ....

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2019, 7:50 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
[
And the point is...?

She's was a POC ....

It's what that periodical stated. She has said she isn't. Such as I have a little Jewish background, but have never claimed that I'm a Jew (despite the fact that milk is giving me gas as I get older).