Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 8:55 am

A company [Accelerated Evolution Biotechnologies Ltd. (AEBi)] made grand pronouncements about revolutionizing cancer treatment claiming their discovery is so disruptive that, according to its Chairman of the Board Dan Aridor, “We believe we will offer in a year’s time a complete cure for cancer.”

The work done to this point has not been done in humans, just in cells in a petri dish and possibly in mice (but it is unclear). Making proclamations so big add up more to sales and marketing than anything else. That doesn’t mean their approach isn’t interesting or there isn’t any promise.

As we evolve our understanding of cancer, we expedite our learning curve when it comes to targeted therapies and personalized treatments. Think of traditional chemotherapy like a grenade that annihilates anything in its path, albeit a rapidly proliferating cancer cell or neighboring healthy cell. This is why people get often challenging side effects like diarrhea, vomiting, or weight loss.

With understanding and medical advance, we are learning more and more every day. A whole array of immunotherapies have entered the field whose main mechanisms of action are to spur a person’s immune system to fight the cancer cells. In a number of situations, this is leading to less of the negative side effects and allowing these illnesses to be managed as a chronic disease. The goal, in general, is to design a targeted bomb that avoids the person’s healthy cells.

One of the biggest challenges to curing some of the more aggressive cancers is that they contain a lot of and react to treatments with mutations. They defend themselves when attacked. In this case of Accelerated Evolution Biotechnologies Ltd. (AEBi), their approach is interesting in that it seems they desire to distract multiple receptors through simultaneous attack, like a multi-warhead missile, whereby the cancer doesn’t have a chance to mount a formidable response.

Curing all cancers in a year is highly improbable. They are so individually disparate in their genetic composition, capacity for mutation and individual host given such gender, tissue type and location variability that the notion of one cure is unimaginable. But, here is wishing them the best to do so while knowing that, more realistically, they may help progress our understanding of such a resilient group of diseases. And that is a win either way.

Source: [url=https://www.acsh.org/news/2019/01/29/company-claims-‘complete-cure-cancer’-year-cue-headlines-13763]Company Claims ‘Complete Cure For Cancer’ In A Year - Cue The Headlines[/url]

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 9:01 am

Uh-huh ... I'll believe it when I see it.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 9:20 am

^ beat me to it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 9:23 am

Who knows? It might be a start.

These sorts of treatments will take years to be approved under the procedures conducted by the Food and Drug Administration.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 9:27 am

Hype is part of business. But it's true that cancer treatment has advanced remarkably, something I try to remind people with a new diagnosis. Not only that, but in only a year's time a new treatment or drug can become a game changer. Hope is so essential.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 9:27 am

A "Cure for Cancer" has been "just around the corner" for as long as I can remember (as far back as 1960), just like nuclear fusion, equal treatment for all, and the end to poverty. So forgive me for being cynical.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 9:33 am

I hope for treatments that are alternatives to radiation and chemotherapy. While those treatments may work for some, they were awful for both my sister-in-law and my own mother. Just terrible.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 3:07 pm

Magna wrote:
I hope for treatments that are alternatives to radiation and chemotherapy. While those treatments may work for some, they were awful for both my sister-in-law and my own mother. Just terrible.

immunotherapy
personalized medicine - knowing which drug kills your particular cancer
bone marrow transplants
stem cell autografts

not for every case, but increasingly available and effective

Last edited by BeaArthur on 30 Jan 2019, 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 3:09 pm

Fnord wrote:
A "Cure for Cancer" has been "just around the corner" for as long as I can remember (as far back as 1960), just like nuclear fusion, equal treatment for all, and the end to poverty. So forgive me for being cynical.

Cervical cancer is almost 100% curable if caught early. Otherwise, can be lethal.

Childhood leukemia had a cure rate of something like 14% 30 years ago ... and 85% today. Those numbers aren't exact but they're pretty close to what I remember.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 3:15 pm

Yes, the cancer survival rate is getting better. There is still no actual cure.

I'm waiting for the day when a person might receive a one-time vaccine that will prevent all cancers.

That day ain't coming any time soon.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2019, 9:08 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Cervical cancer is almost 100% curable if caught early. Otherwise, can be lethal.

Childhood leukemia had a cure rate of something like 14% 30 years ago ... and 85% today. Those numbers aren't exact but they're pretty close to what I remember.

My cervical cancer was caught pretty early and was successfully treated. A colleague diagnosed around the same time, but further advanced was not so lucky. She died.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 2:00 am

Saw this in my feed a few days ago, then yesterday an article about how they just can't afford to publish their work...

cemil
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

31 Jan 2019, 3:12 am

I dont think market particularly cares.. scientific breakthroughs and progress are def. not in the optimum or maximum efficiency as it once was or should be.. thats the only thing i care abt china and india ..

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 9:17 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Saw this in my feed a few days ago, then yesterday an article about how they just can't afford to publish their work...
Ah-hah! so it's a ploy for more funding!

Con Man: "I have this miracle drug / free energy source / perpetual motion machine that could save the world, but I can't afford further research ..."

:roll: Sorry, but I'm still making payments on that bridge in Brooklyn.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 10:09 am

Unfortunately, there will never be a one cure all method for all cancers I my opinion. Since cancer involves damage to DNA, it can become very complex to find sometimes and can mutate to form new forms. There are potential cures for certain types of cancers and methods that can help fight most cancers, but no one cure for all of them. If one was created, it would likely have side effects that would reduce it’s usage to critical cases only.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2019, 1:44 pm

The "Cancer Cure" is BOGUS!!

Read the details HERE.

Wired Magazine's Megan Molteni wrote:
... On Monday, The Jerusalem Post, a centrist Israeli newspaper, published an online story profiling a small company called Accelerated Evolution Biotechnologies that has been working on a potential anti-cancer drug cocktail since 2000. It was somewhat cautiously headlined “A Cure for Cancer? Israeli Scientists Think They Found One,” and relied almost entirely on an interview with the company’s board chairman, Dan Aridor, one of just three individuals listed on AEBi’s website. ... the company has not yet conducted a single trial in humans, or published an ounce of data from its completed studies of petri dish cells and rodents in cages. Under normal drug development proceedings, a pharmaceutical startup would submit such pre-clinical work to peer-review to support any claims and use it to drum up funding for clinical testing. AEBi’s PR move might be an attempt at a shortcut. ...