Trump calls Emoluments Clause "phony"

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2019, 1:54 pm

Trump said he's a victim of the "phony Emoluments Clause" at a media hearing today:

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/2 ... use-053289

Here is the text of the Emoluments Clause, which is part of the Title of Nobility Clause (US Const. Art. I § 9):

Quote:
No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.

He says he only stopped the G7 summit being at one of his hotels because he's tired of the Democrats criticizing him for it, not that you know, it would violate the Emoluments Clause.

Judge Napolitano on Fox News got on Trump about this a few days ago:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Oct 2019, 11:39 pm

Now just wait for Trump's base to start mimicking him in calling the Emoluments Clause phony.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Oct 2019, 2:48 am

A phony clause for a phony person.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 6:17 am

Can anyone link a transcript? I want to know if he called the Emoluments Clause phony or if he called the Democrat's reference to the Emoluments Clause in relation to the G7 phony. There's a difference.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 11:19 am

Magna wrote:
Can anyone link a transcript? I want to know if he called the Emoluments Clause phony or if he called the Democrat's reference to the Emoluments Clause in relation to the G7 phony. There's a difference.

Trump calls it "phony", because he says other presidents ran businesses from the White House.

Emoluments clause is 'phony': Trump
https://news.yahoo.com/emoluments-claus ... 55985.html

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 11:21 am

Trump said he would do if for FREE.

However, he has to get Congressional approval to "give a gift" to foreign leaders.

He's been hosting world leaders at Mar-a-Lago. How is that OK and this is not?

Last edited by LoveNotHate on 22 Oct 2019, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 11:26 am

He also said he has lost a lot of money being President instead of running his business. He's making a sacrifice people! :P

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 11:29 am

It's like Putin hosting the G7 at his Presidential Palace or whatever.

Whenever there is an international conference like the G7, some place neutral, not owned by the President/Prime Minister or whatever of the country hosting it, is chosen.

Otherwise, a "conflict of interest" is perceived.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 12:41 pm

EzraS wrote:
He also said he has lost a lot of money being President instead of running his business. He's making a sacrifice people! :P

And we know he's telling the truth because there's never been a more honest president than Honest Don. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 1:09 pm

I doubt that The Donald is really making a "sacrifice."

If he starts talking like being President is some sort of "sacrifice," I would definitely feel something is rotten in Denmark.

I would feel The Donald is starting to have a martyr complex about himself.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 2:36 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I doubt that The Donald is really making a "sacrifice."

If he starts talking like being President is some sort of "sacrifice," I would definitely feel something is rotten in Denmark.

I would feel The Donald is starting to have a martyr complex about himself.

If he REALLY wants to be a martyr, does it mean he wants to be burned at the stake?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 2:38 pm

Maybe if people stopped picking on DJT so much, he would start behaving more like a sane and mature adult.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 2:40 pm

Fnord wrote:
Maybe if people stopped picking on DJT so much, he would start behaving more like a sane and mature adult.

I think you have it backwards. People pick on him so much because he IS NOT a sane mature adult.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 2:46 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I think you have it backwards. People pick on him so much because he IS NOT a sane mature adult.
Sometimes ... I wonder ...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 4:46 pm

Quite frankly, Mr. DJT picks on people like a schoolyard bully----and has been doing that since......he played in schoolyards.

He reacts to criticism just like a bully----he goes off into his corner and makes tweets.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Oct 2019, 5:07 pm

Fnord wrote:

Agreed.