Frisco’s workers banned from doing business with some states

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 62
Gender: Male
Posts: 20,049
Location: Long Island, New York

21 Oct 2019, 2:26 pm

San Francisco puts 22 states on blacklist for restrictive abortion law

Quote:

City employees in San Francisco are now forbidden to take work trips or do business with companies in 22 states that have “restrictive abortion laws.”

Mayor London Breed and Supervisor Vallie Brown announced the measure last week.

“Every day in this country, women’s reproductive rights are threatened, and we have to fight back. Just as we restricted spending with states that have laws that discriminate against LGBTQ people, we are standing up against states that put women’s health at risk and that are actively working to limit reproductive freedoms,” Breed said in a statement.

The states being blacklisted by San Francisco for their “severe anti-choice policies” are Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, South Dakota, Texas, West Virginia and Wisconsin.

Nine states – Alabama, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota and Texas – were already on the city’s list because of their LGBTQ laws and policies.

The ban will go into effect on Jan. 1, 2020.

City officials acknowledge that the ban may not provide the financial blow to the states to force them to rethink their anti-abortion measures, but Breed’s office hopes its move will serve as an example for other municipalities to follow suit.


_________________
Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,906
Location: Stendec

21 Oct 2019, 2:29 pm

Looks like it's time to move my holdings from San Francisco to Chicago.

Sure, if you don't like the laws in another state, ask for voluntary boycotts; but legislating people's behavior on moral grounds smacks of religious conservatism, even though San Franscisco's government is protesting anti-abortion laws.


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 12 Aug 2019
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 507

21 Oct 2019, 2:35 pm

I am surprised to see that Nevada is on the abortion list. I would think that making that law would raise the unemployment rate since prostitution is legal there.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,906
Location: Stendec

21 Oct 2019, 2:44 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
I am surprised to see that Nevada is on the abortion list. I would think that making that law would raise the unemployment rate since prostitution is legal there.
Maybe there is no real correlation between the abortion rate and the (il)legality of prostitution ... ?


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Oct 2013
Gender: Female
Posts: 6,190
Location: USA

21 Oct 2019, 2:46 pm

Very unethical to use public funds to advance selective politics.

It's the same as TRUMP pulling funds from "sanctuary cities".


_________________
After a failure, the easiest thing to do is to blame someone else.


Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 12 Aug 2019
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 507

21 Oct 2019, 2:49 pm

Fnord wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
I am surprised to see that Nevada is on the abortion list. I would think that making that law would raise the unemployment rate since prostitution is legal there.
Maybe there is no real correlation between the abortion rate and the (il)legality of prostitution ... ?


Can't claim unemployment from the government if prostitution is illegal, is like claiming to be an out of work coke dealer, but in a state like Nevada where prostitution is recognized as a legit profession, getting knocked up would mean a claim for government benefits for unemployment, would then be no different than getting fired or suspended from any other job.



Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 45,670
Location: Houston, Texas

21 Oct 2019, 3:25 pm

Nevada’s prostitution laws require that they are routinely tested for STDs and HIV, and require that contraception is used.

The real question is why Massachusetts, a progressive bastion, is on the list.


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


Drake
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,416

21 Oct 2019, 3:46 pm

Don't act like your s**t doesn't stink when you've probably got more of it piled up in your streets than anyone else, San Francisco. :x

Cancel culture at work. :evil:

Clean up your city before you tell others to clean up theirs. Your job is to serve San Francisco. You're hurting San Francisco by doing this. This should be the most basic requirement, something that shouldn't even have to be said. It's like having to tell a mother to care for their own child. It would be bad enough even if the city was thriving, but to have such deep problems and the people in charge are doing this is appalling. These people should be removed from their positions immediately. They even said it won't work unless others join in. If people running other places understand this most basic of principles that they are in power to serve their city, it won't work.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,906
Location: Stendec

21 Oct 2019, 3:55 pm

I don't understand the "why" of SanFranny's decision. All I can see is a city government trying to legislate morality with regard to its employee's behavior. This seems wrong to me.


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 12 Aug 2019
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 507

21 Oct 2019, 4:01 pm

I wonder how long it will take for San Francisco to fly a version of the Confederate flag in front of city hall that is made with all the colors of the rainbow instead of just red, white and blue.



Drake
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,416

21 Oct 2019, 4:10 pm

Fnord wrote:
I don't understand the "why" of SanFranny's decision. All I can see is a city government trying to legislate morality with regard to its employee's behavior. This seems wrong to me.

You've got people in power for the wrong reasons. They're using it for what they want instead of what the people under their care need. If this was something called for by the people of the city, then that would be fine. This decision would seem to make sense of the sorry state of San Francisco. They're not working for the people, they're working for themselves, and using the resources drawn from the people of the city to get what they want. They've broken the social contract.

I can only guess that they want people to praise them for their virtue. To join their campaign and make them feel like great people doing great things. Working for the city, making the streets clean and safe and the people happy and prosperous is virtuous but it's also thankless.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,906
Location: Stendec

21 Oct 2019, 4:14 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
I wonder how long it will take for San Francisco to fly a version of the Confederate flag in front of city hall that is made with all the colors of the rainbow instead of just red, white and blue.
Perhaps ... June 26, 2015 ... ?

Image


Link to Article


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 12 Aug 2019
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 507

21 Oct 2019, 4:18 pm

Fnord wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
I wonder how long it will take for San Francisco to fly a version of the Confederate flag in front of city hall that is made with all the colors of the rainbow instead of just red, white and blue.
Perhaps ... June 26, 2015 ... ?

Image


A rainbow flag in general doesn't surprise me. I was specifying a rainbow Confederate flag to make it a more personalize thing against all of the southern states.



Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 May 2008
Gender: Male
Posts: 40,906
Location: Stendec

21 Oct 2019, 4:48 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
A rainbow flag in general doesn't surprise me. I was specifying a rainbow Confederate flag to make it a more personalize thing against all of the southern states.
I can't even imagine what that would look like!

It's kinda like trying to imagine a Nazi flag with a peace sign where the swastika would be -- it just doesn't seem right somehow.


_________________
 
“I must acknowledge, once and for all, that the
purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis.”

— Leonard Nimoy as Mr. Spock, in the Star Trek
episode "The Mark of Gideon" (ep. 3.16, 1969)


Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 12 Aug 2019
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 507

21 Oct 2019, 5:40 pm

Fnord wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
A rainbow flag in general doesn't surprise me. I was specifying a rainbow Confederate flag to make it a more personalize thing against all of the southern states.
I can't even imagine what that would look like!

It's kinda like trying to imagine a Nazi flag with a peace sign where the swastika would be -- it just doesn't seem right somehow.


I have actually seen a flag that had a swastika and a Jewish star merged together. Want me to try to find it again?