Medical Marijuana Use For Autism Approved By Colorado Govern

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 3:00 am

https://www.thefix.com/medical-marijuana-use-autism-approved-colorado-governor

Quote:
Autism spectrum disorder has been added to the list of disabling conditions that may be treated with medical marijuana in the state of Colorado.

High Times reported that Governor Jared Polis signed a house bill legalizing the use of medical marijuana for the treatment of autism last Tuesday (April 2); House Bill 1028 had initially passed the Centennial State's House and Senate in 2018, but was rejected by Polis' predecessor, John Hickenlooper, who cited a lack of support from pediatricians and certain autism groups as the root of his decision.

A young person may become a medical marijuana patient if they are diagnosed with a disabling medical condition by two physicians.

The bill's passed the House unanimously on February 7.

Medical professionals have often cited the lack of a large clinical trial that could determine the effectiveness and safety of using marijuana to treat children with autism.

Trials have taken place in Israel and Chile, and the first large-scale clinical trial in the United States began in 2018. Funded by a grant from the U.S. Department of Defense, the trial will examine whether a cannabis-based compound called CBDV is effective in treating aspects of autism spectrum disorder. It is expected to be completed in 2021.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 6:43 am

I'm not sure if this is the same Israel study but the preliminary findings are that medical marijuana is effective in relieving symptoms in autistic patients including seizures, tics, depression, restlessness, and rage attacks. The preliminary results also suggest the dosage is safe hence why Colorado is going ahead to approve autism being added to the list.,

However, "While this study suggest that cannabis treatment is safe and can improve ASD symptoms and improve ASD patients' quality of life, we believe that double blind placebo-controlled trials are crucial for a better understanding of the cannabis effect on ASD patients,"

I think this is why the Israelis are waiting till 2021 before fully giving the green light, but this looks interesting...sweet leaf anyone?

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 8:19 am

Minnesota added it to their list for medical marijuana last year if I recall correctly.

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 9:39 am

They added it to Georgia also, but the only thing that is legal is marijuana oil which contains no more than 0.5% THC, aka, hemp oil. So stupid!

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 9:51 am

How much does it cost?

Many autistics do not have jobs

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 10:02 am

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
How much does it cost?

Many autistics do not have jobs

More than likely price varies, from place to place, store to store. It would be nice if it eventually become like California. I think if you have a prescription of your own you can also get a license to grow your own, that way all you have to pay for is the license. The one a friend of mine showed a picture of after visiting was a yellow piece of paper that allowed them to grow up to 99 plants. Think I could be happy with just 10.

I've had a couple at some points within my life. I love watching them grow. I had to battle a mini caterpillar once. He was living in my bud, I had noticed it was big eaten onE day and sat down beside it smoking a bowl. Then I saw the sneaky thing extend out from within a bud, grab a crystal and retract back into the bud. So I got a tooth pick and waited him out. It took a few tries but I eventually speared him. I kinda felt bad about it, but I couldn't let him continue to eat my bud, I only had a few little buds. Grass hoppers are the worse though. They seem to go straight for the heart of the plant, they will land on the main stem and eat the whole side off to tap into the main flow of juices, then the whole plant just falls over and dies. They have killed over 3 plant of mine in the past.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 1:47 pm

If I understand correctly it is the CBD, rather than the THC, that is approved for this.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 6:42 pm

Yes the trials in Israel appear to be focusing on cannabis oil
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-01- ... ldren.html

Another finding is significant improved sleep and concentration in a quarter of the participants

Will be looking into this further...

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 7:14 pm

AnneOleson wrote:
If I understand correctly it is the CBD, rather than the THC, that is approved for this.

I'm not sure about this article, but Georgia makes a distinction between marijuana oil and cbd oil. You can buy cbd oil out of convince stores. In Georgia it was marijuana oil which was recently approved for autism and they also passed another bill to allow in state cultivation of marijuana. We already have hemp farms in Georgia, years before this new bill was passed which legalized indoor farming of marijuana plants with proper license. We had an issue, for many years now marijuana has been approved for a handful of conditions, yet it was illegal for people to import marijuana or grow it. Though it's still ridiculous because of the extremely low THC content. Hemp already has a THC content of 0.3%, the marijuana oils are not supposed to exceed 0.5% THC. It was 100% marijuana oil which was just legalized to treat autism, not cbd that you can already purchase at a store with no prescription.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 7:18 pm

I appreciate that research is planned/underway, but as a practical matter, since CO already has legalized "recreational" MJ, meaning anyone can get it, this doesn't change things that much. Much more significant is medical MJ in states that never had it before.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2019, 7:34 pm

Crimadella wrote:
[We had an issue, for many years now marijuana has been approved for a handful of conditions, yet it was illegal for people to import marijuana or grow it. Though it's still ridiculous because of the extremely low THC content.

I've known people who used hemp and the growing conditions make a difference to the level of THC. Hydroponically grown plants can be manipulated to increase THC levels thus increasing the psychadelic effects of the leaf.

It's all about quality control by regulating means of production.