Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Laeril
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 May 2019, 1:45 am

Country House named winner after Maximum Security is disqualified

This is the first time a Kentucky Derby winner has been disqualified for an on-track infraction. And people, at least from what I see on Twitter, are more than a little upset. Stuff like sports being ruined because of instant replay, a pox upon Country House's owners, that sort of thing.

The only reason this is so newsworthy is the high profile of the race, in my opinion. Also, Maximum Security freaked out because of the crowd and his jockey (straight from the horse's mouse, so to speak) was trying to keep the poor house from causing a multiple horse pile-up, which almost happened anyway.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 2:07 am

My mom was super angry about this.

My thoughts:

1. The tv host never said whether the disqualification was from impeding Country House (which didn't seem to happen), or from impeding other horses (by veering into other lanes).

2. The tv host never said what the vote was. (3-0 or 2-1).

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 3:16 am

I was at either Santa Anita or Hollywood Park when that happened once. There was almost a riot lol. One drunk guy was screaming "I'm gonna sue this F***ing track!".

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 9:43 am

If you're a bettor, you better believe you care who wins the race! They announced the winner and those who bet on that horse would be extremely happy - then to have someone take your winnings away, it's going to make you mad. The morning news just said that the same event anywhere but USA would not change the winner, just result in a penalty to the jockey. So yeah, this is upsetting.

I've only gone to the track once in my life and came out $30 ahead on the day. It was fun, but I've never done it again. I'm not a gambler, in general.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 12:59 pm

Well, when you're sliding back
In your rose pink Cadillac
Making bets on Kentucky Derby Day
I'll be in my basement room
With a needle and a spoon
And another girl to take my pain away

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2019, 1:15 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
The morning news just said that the same event anywhere but USA would not change the winner

[Caveat emptor: this is all 2nd-hand from my step-Dad; I've never so much as bought a lottery ticket!]
That depends what they mean by "change the winner", unless the US system is very different to here in the UK. There is no winner at least until the horses and jockeys are weighed-in, and if at that point, a Stewards Enquiry has been called, there is no winner until a decision is reached (it's usually all over within 15mins.) A subsequently disqualified horse might cross the line first, but that doesn't "change the winner", because it wasn't officially a win yet. After that, the result can't be changed retrospectively for betting purposes, whatever further disciplinary action might be taken. Was it a result declared by race officials, or did the media jump the gun, maybe?

It's not unusual for bookies here to pay out on "first past the post" in these circumstances. But it's not allowed on-course, and not usually with internet bookies, AFAIK. However, they are always obliged to pay out on the official winner too (a "double winner") - it costs them, but it attracts a bit more trade.

However, what counts as being an on-course infraction, and how often an enquiry is called, may differ considerably here. And no doubt none of that is much consolation if you're the one who's horse got disqualified, whichever side of the Atlantic you're on!

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 6:41 pm

Yeah, see, I just didn't get this, AT ALL!!

First-of-all, I'm an avid Triple Crown Watcher (can't get enough of horses), but I didn't even know the horses really had "lanes"----at least, not once they were out of the gates.

Secondly, my thinking was, how is it different from any other sport, where someone does whatever they can to block their opponent, from winning? It's allowed. So, I don't get it.

Baltimore's the second jewel in The Triple Crown----can't wait for this Saturday. I think I heard there's no chance for a Triple Crown, though, cuz the horse won't be there----that's so strange, to me. I don't really care, though, that much----I mean, that adds to the thrill / excitement, but----I just wanna watch the horses!!

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2019, 11:50 pm

The jockey got a 15 day suspension for interfering with other horses.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/h ... 187682001/

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2019, 10:32 pm

VegetableMan wrote:

...What song's that lyric from?

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2019, 7:08 am

ASS-P wrote:
VegetableMan wrote: