Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 11:13 am

House to vote today on impeachment resolution against Trump

Quote:
The House will vote on Wednesday on a resolution to impeach President Donald Trump, marking the first time the Democrat-controlled chamber has weighed in on the divisive issue.

It's unclear whether the House will vote to send the resolution to committee, to table it — effectively killing the measure — or vote to proceed forward with it.

In addition, the House will vote Wednesday to hold U.S. Attorney General William Barr and Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross in criminal contempt of Congress for withholding information about the administration's failed bid to add a citizenship question to the 2020 census.

On impeachment, Rep. Al Green, D-Texas, forced the vote by reading the articles of impeachment on Tuesday night; he told reporters a vote will happen Wednesday afternoon. A Democratic leadership aide confirmed to NBC News the vote would occur.

Green cited Trump's recent racist remarks about four Democratic congresswoman of color, which the House voted to condemn yesterday, as cause for seeking his removal from office.

"President Donald Trump's racist comments that have legitimatized and increased fear and hatred of new Americans and people of color," Green said Tuesday night on the House floor. "Donald John Trump, by causing such harm to the society of the United States, is unfit to be president and warrants impeachment, trial and removal from office."

Green has been gunning to impeach Trump for years — his latest effort is his third attempt. He most recently offered articles of impeachment when Republicans controlled the House back in January 2018, after the president derided immigrants from Haiti and some African countries. The House voted to table that resolution, with 121 Democrats joined 234 Republicans to effectively kill the measure.

More than 80 members of the House have called for opening an impeachment inquiry, but some Democratic leaders have resisted, fearing that it would distract from the party's policy agenda, could rally Trump's base, isn't popular with the public and is doomed to fail in the Republican-controlled Senate.

A recent NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll found that enthusiasm for impeachment may be waning: The July survey found 21 percent of registered voters say that there is enough evidence for Congress to begin impeachment hearings now. In June, 27 percent in the poll the same thing, a 6-point drop in one month — though that survey was of Americans, not registered voter.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 11:43 am

Democrats seem to have no goals other than to attack TRUMP.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 12:00 pm

At this point I think they need to finally either 'put up or shut up'.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 2:00 pm

It's about time. Mueller's report implicated Trump for obstruction of justice and campaign finance violations. We need to show that the President is not above the law.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 2:19 pm

Let's skip the impeachment and go straight for removal.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 4:57 pm

The House voted 332 to 95 against impeachment over his tweets against “The Squad”. All Republicans and 137 Democrats voted against the resolution.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 5:00 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The House voted 332 to 95 against impeachment over his tweets against “The Squad”. All Republicans and 137 Democrats voted against the resolution.

:wall:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 5:02 pm

Oh well back to the drawing board.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 5:25 pm

Even if Trump is impeached, we'll be stuck with Mike Pence who is even worse than Trump!

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 5:27 pm

Another impeachment attempt, another fail.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 5:29 pm

Fnord wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

:wall:

Yup, we live in a country that tolerates a racist president who locks hispanic children up in internment camps like animals. That says more about our people than it does about him.

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 5:46 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Even if Trump is impeached, we'll be stuck with Mike Pence who is even worse than Trump!

I was thinking whoever ends up running would have a better chance against Pence.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 7:30 pm

From what I read, Representative Al Green from Texas, the congressman who brought the motion to impeach, said it's a first step. I believe he said that if he feels it's necessary, he'll bring the motion to impeach again and again. Maybe it will gain traction on the second, third, fourth, fifth, etc time around?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 7:45 pm

At least Mike Pence acts more "presidential" and mostly keeps his mouth shut.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 8:18 pm

Fnord wrote:
At least Mike Pence acts more "presidential" and mostly keeps his mouth shut.

I guess even a fanatic wouldnt be as bad as a megalomaniac.

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Jul 2019, 8:25 pm

I think impeachment is tremendously dangerous to the country. On the international side, it would leave USA without credible leadership of any kind. Impeachment (and replacement) takes time, during which the country would be weak. Not worth it. It's agony, but wait for the election.