Tennessee Gov. signs bill to celebrate white supremacist

Page 1 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 5:09 pm

Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee signs bill to celebrate Confederate general, slave trader and KKK member

Quote:
Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee signed a bill declaring Saturday as Nathan Bedford Forrest Day in honor of the Confederate general, slave trader and early Ku Klux Klan leader.

The governor of Tennessee has been required by law to annually declare July 13 in honor of the general. And Lee said he has no plans to dispense with the tradition.

"I signed the bill because the law requires that I do that and I haven’t looked at changing that law," Lee told The Tennessean Thursday.

The law has earned derision from both sides of the aisle.

Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, directly addressed the controversy on Twitter Thursday, calling for the law to be changed as well.

"This is WRONG. Nathan Bedford Forrest was a Confederate general & a delegate to the 1868 Democratic Convention," Cruz wrote. "He was also a slave trader & the 1st Grand Wizard of the KKK. Tennessee should not have an official day (tomorrow) honoring him. Change the law."

Forrest was born poor in 1821, but eventually found business success as a plantation owner and slave trader in the 1840s and 1850s. He enlisted in the Confederate States Army in 1861 and was given command of a cavalry unit. He rose through the ranks as a military tactician and eventually became a general in the Confederate Army.

Following the war, he continued as a businessman and joined the Ku Klux Klan soon after its founding. He was the first leader of the KKK, coined the Grand Wizard.

A bust of Forrest remains in the state Capitol in Nashville.

In December 2017, a statue of Forrest riding a horse was removed from Health Sciences Park in Memphis. Memphis has a population more than 60% black -- one of the highest in the nation.

The same law that mandates Nathan Bedford Forrest Day, Tennessee Code 15-2-101, mandates a Robert E. Lee Day for Jan. 19 -- in honor of the famous Confederate general. It also requires an Abraham Lincoln Day, on Feb. 12, and Andrew Jackson Day, on March 15.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 5:28 pm

Robert E. Lee SHOULD be regarded as a hero for surrendering. In the end he did the right thing.

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 7:38 pm

Oddly enough I agree with you. This Forrest fellow? Not so much a hero. More of just someone on the wrong side of history. I don't see the reason to celebrate an obscure general from the Confederacy when the Confederacy AND the Union both had men much more worthy of admiration.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 7:58 pm

Borromeo wrote:
Oddly enough I agree with you. This Forrest fellow? Not so much a hero. More of just someone on the wrong side of history. I don't see the reason to celebrate an obscure general from the Confederacy when the Confederacy AND the Union both had men much more worthy of admiration.

Personally I don't understand why Americans celebrate the Civil War. :shrug:

It was the worst war we ever fought, even worse than Veitnam. Americans were brutally slaughtering their own countrymen and it was a time of turmoil and intense hatred between the north and the south.

The only good thing to come out of that war was the abolishment of slavery, but it left a scar on this country that never fully healed even over a century later. The north and the south are still very divided politically and the wedge between them is getting thicker.

I won't be surprised at all if we are doomed to fight another Civil War. We came close in the 1960's.

Americans are so damn war hungry they even relish the idea of killing each other in a war. It disgusts me. :(

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 8:01 pm

Borromeo wrote:
... I don't see the reason to celebrate an obscure general from the Confederacy...
I see no point in celebrating a LOSING general from the LOSING side in a LOST CAUSE.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 8:04 pm

Fnord wrote:
Borromeo wrote:
... I don't see the reason to celebrate an obscure general from the Confederacy...
I see no point in celebrating a LOSING general from the LOSING side in a LOST CAUSE.

I don't see the point in celebrating a sociopathic general like Sherman who wins a war by attacking civilians and later contributed to the genocide of the native americans.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 8:21 pm

If the SJWs are so concerned about wiping out all traces of racism in American History for the sake of political correctness they should start by chopping down that big redwood tree with the plaque dedicated to that as*hole Sherman after what he did to the Native Americans in this country.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 8:33 pm

I think the fact that these people are so gung-ho about destroying all traces of The Confederate monuments claiming it's a battle against "racism" and yet they still celebrate a Union general who killed off many Native American tribes and forced them out of their lands and into reservations as a 'hero' proves that:

A) These people are all morons.

and

B) This whole thing is really just an attack on the south.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 8:36 am

No one's removing Nathan Bedford Forrest from history. He'll still be in the history books.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 9:04 am

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Borromeo wrote:
I don't see the point in celebrating a sociopathic general like Sherman who wins a war ...
He helped win a war. This makes him a hero. Those 'civilians' he attacked were armed rebels, and thus enemy combatants -- fair game for a musket round.

Anyone currently living on former Native American or First Nations land has either contributed to or benefited from genocide.

My point is that we do not celebrate losers. We celebrate winners. Gen. Sherman won -- he is a winner. He deserves a statue.

Generals Lee and Forest lost -- they are losers. Tear down their statues and recycle them for scrap.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 9:12 am

So you're saying if Hitler and the Nazis won World War 2 then they would have to be celebrated as heroes too?

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 9:13 am

And Mister Fnord, if you really think it's ok to benefit from genocide then I will lose all respect for you.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 9:15 am

I don't think Fnord is saying that at all. I'll have to defend him on this.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 9:16 am

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
So you're saying if Hitler and the Nazis won World War 2 then they would have to be celebrated as heroes too?
Jawoll, mein herr! History is written by the victors.

I thank God that the Allies won WWII ... to bad racist, fascist tyrants still get elected to public office ...

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 9:18 am

Kraftie, He basically said that anybody who wins a war deserves to be regarded as a hero, genocide or not.

Even if he doesn't mean it that way that's pretty much what it implies.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 9:18 am

We would really be in a pickle if we celebrated the Nazis as heroes. To say the least.

To even conceive of such a thing is just beyond nuts!