MAGA Model Stripped of Miss Michigan title for racist tweets

Page 3 of 19 [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 6:08 pm

Antrax wrote:
Maybe that citing a true statistic and offering an opinion wouldn't cost her a beauty pageant title she had already won?

I wouldn't be so coy that it's that straight forward. The pageant organisers aren't dumb, they know it's the intention behind her quoting these statistics.

There's a difference between bringing attention to issues of general public importance (she has plenty of choices here like planned parenting, climate change, the environment, consumerism, social media etc etc) and drawing attention to statistics for the sole purpose of beating a minority group with a stick.

Zhu's language was highly inflammatory and at best simply demonstrates a lack of tact/sensitivity to post these tweets while she is a contestant knowing full well she is putting her views in public space.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 7:07 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Antrax wrote:
Maybe that citing a true statistic and offering an opinion wouldn't cost her a beauty pageant title she had already won?

I wouldn't be so coy that it's that straight forward. The pageant organisers aren't dumb, they know it's the intention behind her quoting these statistics.

There's a difference between bringing attention to issues of general public importance (she has plenty of choices here like planned parenting, climate change, the environment, consumerism, social media etc etc) and drawing attention to statistics for the sole purpose of beating a minority group with a stick.

Zhu's language was highly inflammatory and at best simply demonstrates a lack of tact/sensitivity to post these tweets while she is a contestant knowing full well she is putting her views in public space.

My understanding is that her social media tweets were not in any connection with the pageant competition, just her expressing her opinion online. If you think the pageant was correct in removing her from the competition and stripping her of her Miss Michigan title, could you also comment on the New York Times' decision to continue to employ Sarah Jeong?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 7:57 pm

A quick google search will indicate there is a precedence here of beauty contestants who were stripped of their titles for their conduct outside of the paegent

Mis Nevada 2007 Katie Reese - Posted a picture of herself on Myspace while drunk removing her pants in a nightclub breached her contract

Miss USA 2009 Carrie Prejean - nude photos leaked online (she wasn't responsible but it breached her contract)

Miss Puerto Rico and Miss Universe 2016 Kristhie Lee Caride displayed "bad attitude" in not wanting photos after the event

Katherine Zhu violated the organization’s (Miss World America) rules and conditions by posting offensive, insensitive and inappropriate” posts on social media.

To me it's an open and shut case

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 8:11 pm

This official quote from the Miss America organisation

"Miss Zhu no longer meets the requirement of "being in good character." "Therefore, and effective immediately, MWA does not recognize you as a participant of any sort or in any capacity as it relates to any and all events of MWA," it concluded.

LOL! :lol: about time being a MAGA is now defined as having "bad character" :wtg:

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 8:26 pm

cyberdad wrote:
A quick google search will indicate there is a precedence here of beauty contestants who were stripped of their titles for their conduct outside of the paegent

Mis Nevada 2007 Katie Reese - Posted a picture of herself on Myspace while drunk removing her pants in a nightclub breached her contract

Miss USA 2009 Carrie Prejean - nude photos leaked online (she wasn't responsible but it breached her contract)

Miss Puerto Rico and Miss Universe 2016 Kristhie Lee Caride displayed "bad attitude" in not wanting photos after the event

Katherine Zhu violated the organization’s (Miss World America) rules and conditions by posting offensive, insensitive and inappropriate” posts on social media.

To me it's an open and shut case

Seems to me the pageant is excessively puritanical in its standards, but they are consistently so.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 8:27 pm

^^ What's is your definition of a MAGA ?

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 8:32 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Lol. If you think her saying black on black crime rates being high is up to black people to sort out is her saying all blacks are murderers then you've lost touch with reality. Me defending her doesn't mean I agree with her. Just in your mind it does.

In a Twitter post on Thursday, Zhu said she had been stripped of her Miss Michigan title “due to my refusal to try on a hijab in 2018, my tweet about black on black gun violence, and ‘insensitive’ statistical tweets”.
One of the earlier tweets in question said, “Did you know the majority of black deaths are caused by other blacks? Fix problems within your own community first before blaming others.”

She clearly stated blacks needed to fix the problems in their own communities first before blaming others. That alone says she holds black Americans as a group collectively responsible.

It seems this part of; it is not so much what someone says but how a certain political demographic decides to interpret it. "The person tweeted that lemons are sour, but what they are really saying is..."

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 8:39 pm

cyberdad wrote:
This official quote from the Miss America organisation

"Miss Zhu no longer meets the requirement of "being in good character." "Therefore, and effective immediately, MWA does not recognize you as a participant of any sort or in any capacity as it relates to any and all events of MWA," it concluded.

LOL! :lol: about time being a MAGA is now defined as having "bad character" :wtg:

Still stereotyping and marginalizing.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 8:48 pm

cyberdad wrote:

How would you define those who voted for Hillary in 2016? Good Americans who supported a candidate from a party that is mostly responsible for creating the political climate that made it possible for Trump's ascension to power? Are they not equally "bad characters?" I know you don't understand what I'm talking about. But I'd be happy to explain it to you if you'd like.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 9:10 pm

Ok I probably overstepped the bounds....

I think if you essentially read into the Miss America paegent organisers reasons for stripping Katherine Zhu of her title it's because she posted MAGA "inspired" propaganda relating to i) hijab is a form of oppression ii) blacks can't help their own communities and iii) guns don't kill people...people kill people

Since they used the words No longer meets the requirement of "being in good character" then ergo..it means her posts are of bad character

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 9:19 pm

VegetableMan wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

How would you define those who voted for Hillary in 2016? Good Americans who supported a candidate from a party that is mostly responsible for creating the political climate that made it possible for Trump's ascension to power? Are they not equally "bad characters?" I know you don't understand what I'm talking about. But I'd be happy to explain it to you if you'd like.

Not quite sure if you are alluding to i) knowingly supporting Hillary when there was a better candidate in Bernie Sanders or ii) Hillary Clinton's connections to Bill Clinton or iii) Hillary Clinton inspired conspiracy theories?

Plenty of democrat female voters voted for Hillary Clinton because she is female...does that indicate bad character?

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 9:21 pm

I'm just fed up with people attacking the symptom, rather then the disease.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 9:45 pm

EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Lol. If you think her saying black on black crime rates being high is up to black people to sort out is her saying all blacks are murderers then you've lost touch with reality. Me defending her doesn't mean I agree with her. Just in your mind it does.

In a Twitter post on Thursday, Zhu said she had been stripped of her Miss Michigan title “due to my refusal to try on a hijab in 2018, my tweet about black on black gun violence, and ‘insensitive’ statistical tweets”.
One of the earlier tweets in question said, “Did you know the majority of black deaths are caused by other blacks? Fix problems within your own community first before blaming others.”

She clearly stated blacks needed to fix the problems in their own communities first before blaming others. That alone says she holds black Americans as a group collectively responsible.

It seems this part of; it is not so much what someone says but how a certain political demographic decides to interpret it. "The person tweeted that lemons are sour, but what they are really saying is..."

How else can you interpret her post other than that blacks are collectively responsible for violence and homicide in their communities?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 9:46 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Ok I probably overstepped the bounds....

I think if you essentially read into the Miss America paegent organisers reasons for stripping Katherine Zhu of her title it's because she posted MAGA "inspired" propaganda relating to i) hijab is a form of oppression ii) blacks can't help their own communities and iii) guns don't kill people...people kill people

Since they used the words No longer meets the requirement of "being in good character" then ergo..it means her posts are of bad character

It does not really have to do with character. It has to do with politics. Hence maga this maga that.

The actions taken against this person was probably due to the pagent caving to the demands of a certain political party that wants to strip "magas" of titles, jobs and so on.

What it ultimately comes down to is making being a "maga" a punishable offence.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 9:51 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:

How else can you interpret her post other than that blacks are collectively responsible for violence and homicide in their communities?

So there is no way it could be referring to certain areas where it is taking place like Los Angeles. It must mean all blacks collectively in throughout the entire world.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 10:12 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
sly279 wrote:
So telling the truth is racist now. Will the fbi, atf and cdc be removed?
Hashtag remove the federal agencies

No, implying that a community of certain people can all be lumped together and their grievances dismissed for the actions of individuals is what's racist.

The issue is at many points the same directed at those who support Trump right now, everyone else is acting like the mob and even directly say stuff or wish harm on those who voted for Trump.

Which is what this whole "scandal" is about too.
Sick and repulsive. :evil: