Students intentionally cause teacher allergic reaction

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2019, 1:36 pm

Ohio middle school students prank teacher allergic to bananas, send her to the hospital

Quote:
A group of middle-schoolers in Ohio sent their art teacher with a deadly banana allergy to the hospital after intentionally smearing banana peels on her door and doorknob and throwing bananas at her while she sat in her classroom, a new report said.

A group of three students between 12 or 13-years-old who attend school in Columbus, Ohio, allegedly carried out the prank during lunchtime in November 2018.

Columbus' Fox 28 reported-- citing a police report-- that students at the Starling K-8 school knew the unidentified teacher had a deadly food allergy. The teacher’s classroom door also had a "Banana Free Zone" sign that warns students to wash their hands if they come in contact with the fruit.

"All of the kids know she's deathly allergic to bananas," a security officer told the police. "If it touches her, she will go into anaphylactic shock."

According to the school security officer, the teacher went into anaphylactic shock within 15 minutes of the incident, was administered two EpiPens and was rushed to the hospital where she recovered.

The three students were put on probation through juvenile court. It was unclear what, if any charges the juveniles faced. It was also unclear on what punishment they faced at the school.

The Columbus Police Department said felony assaults on teachers were on the rise in 2019, with more than 30 cases documented since January. Officers responded to 65 felony assaults on city school campuses in 2017, which was nearly three times the amount of assaults from the year before, Fox 28 reported.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2019, 1:56 pm

A felony assault with a banana. That's one for the books.

I'm glad the teacher is alright. That was one nasty collection of students.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2019, 5:52 pm

I am betting the students didn't take this seriously so they did it as a prank and now they will suffer big time.

Most 12/13 year olds are stupid. I remember when my brothers were at that age and they had no understanding of my disability so they would deliberately provoke my anxiety. Kids at that age are the most self centered and selfish and lack of empathy. I also saw a post on Reddit by someone posting about their 13 year old deliberately doing things in their apartment to provoke their neighbor's schizophrenia. The parent felt hopeless what to do because punishing her daughter wasn't working. The 13 year old just didn't give a s**t. I mean there is a difference between just living and doing your normal things and just doing things deliberate to provoke someone. It's even worse if they have a mental illness.

I am betting the 3 students are feeling bad now and I hope they understand now how serious an allergy is. Hopefully they didn't throw their life away with their stupid 13 year old brain. :roll:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2019, 7:03 pm

I never heard of anyone being allergic to bananas before, and I wonder if this article was a joke.
It's driving me bananas.
Sorry.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 4:16 am

On the one hand: those kids did a horrible thing and were they adults I hope they'd face charges of murder and/or conspiracy to murder.

On the other hand: shouldn't being this allergic to one of the most common fruits be considered disqualifying for working with kids? Even if her own classroom is a banana-free zone, the rest of the school isn't, and I can think of a thousand way to accidentally get a bit of banana on your skin.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 4:21 am

No, they were 12 and 13. I think charging them as adults would be extreme but they should still be punished. They were lucky they didn't kill her or it would have been manslaughter. If their intention was to hurt her and kill her (which I am doubting), the punishment should be more severe. If they didn't have remorse, I would find that to be a concern.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 5:38 am

Wasn't suggesting trying the kids as adults. I said that if adults had done this, I'd hope it would be considered attempted murder rather than some lesser charge. Intentionality inducing anaphylaxis is bloody serious.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 8:13 am

According to the article the kids “knew she had a deadly allergy”. If true this was attempted murder and the kids should be tried the same as any middle school student who tried to shoot their teacher.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 8:23 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
According to the article the kids “knew she had a deadly allergy”. If true this was attempted murder and the kids should be tried the same as any middle school student who tried to shoot their teacher.

Agreed.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 8:26 am

Sounds like did not like her much.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 11:14 am

Whatever happened to using spiders and snakes in pranks?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 11:34 am

League_Girl wrote:
I am betting the students didn't take this seriously so they did it as a prank and now they will suffer big time.

Most 12/13 year olds are stupid. I remember when my brothers were at that age and they had no understanding of my disability so they would deliberately provoke my anxiety. Kids at that age are the most self centered and selfish and lack of empathy. I also saw a post on Reddit by someone posting about their 13 year old deliberately doing things in their apartment to provoke their neighbor's schizophrenia. The parent felt hopeless what to do because punishing her daughter wasn't working. The 13 year old just didn't give a s**t. I mean there is a difference between just living and doing your normal things and just doing things deliberate to provoke someone. It's even worse if they have a mental illness.

I am betting the 3 students are feeling bad now and I hope they understand now how serious an allergy is. Hopefully they didn't throw their life away with their stupid 13 year old brain. :roll:

Autism is complicated. "I'll die if I touch banana" is as simple as it gets. Think back to what you get taught in school. Remember things like handling reactive substances in science and being taught about that at that age. Mathematics, you're long past basic multiplication and division by then. They should NOT be able to claim ignorance, they knew exactly what they were doing.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 11:38 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
On the one hand: those kids did a horrible thing and were they adults I hope they'd face charges of murder and/or conspiracy to murder.

On the other hand: shouldn't being this allergic to one of the most common fruits be considered disqualifying for working with kids? Even if her own classroom is a banana-free zone, the rest of the school isn't, and I can think of a thousand way to accidentally get a bit of banana on your skin.

I don't think so. She should be applauded for it, not shut up in her home huddling in fear of the yellow fruit.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 11:50 am

Drake wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Autism is complicated. "I'll die if I touch banana" is as simple as it gets. Think back to what you get taught in school. Remember things like handling reactive substances in science and being taught about that at that age. Mathematics, you're long past basic multiplication and division by then. They should NOT be able to claim ignorance, they knew exactly what they were doing.

We didn't get into that complicated science until high school and I never understood more than basic math. But I know the math part is irrelevant because I have a disability that makes it hard for me to learn it and figure it out and most people can just do it despite saying how hard it is and how they are not good at it. I am sure they are not on the same page as me when they say they are not great at math either and that it's also hard.