Videos of water being dumped on police officers create stir

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,952
Location: Long Island, New York

24 Jul 2019, 12:43 pm

ABC News

Quote:
Cellphone videos of people brazenly dousing uniformed New York Police Department patrolmen with water have sparked outrage and led police officials to urge the force not to tolerate the behavior.

Police on Tuesday were looking into two recent instances captured on video clips widely circulated on social media that show four on-duty officers — all sent to break up unruly gatherings around open fire hydrants during a recent heat wave — getting soaked themselves as onlookers jeer.

In one of the videos, an officer making an arrest of a suspect in Harlem appears to get hit in the head with a red plastic bucket as he and his partner are splashed with water. The other shows two officers getting repeatedly doused as they walk down a Brooklyn street looking sheepish as a woman's voice in the background is heard saying, "Oh, they violated them."

At a police event Tuesday, NYPD Chief of Department Terence Monahan said the department wants to make arrests in both cases but drew a sharp distinction between them. He described one as a potential assault on an officer doing his duty and the other a failure of officers to respond to a clear provocation.

In Brooklyn, "Someone thought it was all right and take a bucket of water and toss it over a cop's head," Monahan said. "That's not all right. . Any cop who thinks that's all right, that they can walk away from something like that, maybe should consider whether or not that this is the profession for them."

The appearance that the pranksters on both videos showed little fear of reprisal fueled accusations against Democratic Mayor Bill de Blasio and other liberal politicians that their police reform policies have fostered a climate of disrespect for officers on the beat.

Ed Mullins, president of the Sergeants Benevolent Association, said there's worry that the liquids in the buckets "could just as easily have been bleach, gasoline, or some other toxic substance."

The outcry comes at a time when de Blasio is already under fire from critics blasting him for delaying firing of the police officer involved in the chokehold death of Eric Garner and claiming he has neglected the city while he runs for president.

Asked about the dousings in an interview Monday with local news channel NY1, de Blasio responded that "they are two very different incidents, one of which was not confrontational, the other of which was. And I'll just state the obvious - it's not acceptable for anyone to resist arrest, it's not acceptable for anyone to interfere with the NYPD when they're effectuating an arrest."

The NYPD has circulated a memo throughout the nation's largest police department this week explaining that while verbal taunting doesn't break the law, someone can be charged with harassment, disorderly conduct or other crimes "where an individual intentionally sprays or douses a member of service with water while performing their duties."


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,300
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

24 Jul 2019, 3:57 pm

I am curious about the unruly gatherings near open fire hydrants during a heat wave. What were the people doing that was unruly. that attracted the attention of the police in the first place..and how bad was the heat wave?

I wonder if the heat wave played any role in this behavior, but none of the news sources are talking about that. Also a lot of people are criticizing the officers for not doing more to stop it...but if it really was a heat wave it was probably best for them not to further aggravate the situation at that time. Perhaps they were taking that into consideration.


_________________
Fascism is a disease.


ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,952
Location: Long Island, New York

24 Jul 2019, 6:13 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I am curious about the unruly gatherings near open fire hydrants during a heat wave. What were the people doing that was unruly. that attracted the attention of the police in the first place..and how bad was the heat wave?

I wonder if the heat wave played any role in this behavior, but none of the news sources are talking about that. Also a lot of people are criticizing the officers for not doing more to stop it...but if it really was a heat wave it was probably best for them not to further aggravate the situation at that time. Perhaps they were taking that into consideration.

The temps were near 100 and the humidity sky high. I can only guess what was unruly beforehand but once the water was dumped the crowds were into it.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

24 Jul 2019, 6:37 pm

The current weather in New York City is 80° F (82° F high 68° F low).



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,300
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

26 Jul 2019, 3:32 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I am curious about the unruly gatherings near open fire hydrants during a heat wave. What were the people doing that was unruly. that attracted the attention of the police in the first place..and how bad was the heat wave?

I wonder if the heat wave played any role in this behavior, but none of the news sources are talking about that. Also a lot of people are criticizing the officers for not doing more to stop it...but if it really was a heat wave it was probably best for them not to further aggravate the situation at that time. Perhaps they were taking that into consideration.

The temps were near 100 and the humidity sky high. I can only guess what was unruly beforehand but once the water was dumped the crowds were into it.


Well then I think the police were right not to aggravate the situation. In that kind of heat people could have gotten a lot crazier. Also people can die of heat-stroke in that kind of heat especially under exertion. They probably didn't want to risk heat stroke themselves or end up with a death on their hands.


_________________
Fascism is a disease.


EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

26 Jul 2019, 4:12 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I am curious about the unruly gatherings near open fire hydrants during a heat wave. What were the people doing that was unruly. that attracted the attention of the police in the first place..and how bad was the heat wave?

I wonder if the heat wave played any role in this behavior, but none of the news sources are talking about that. Also a lot of people are criticizing the officers for not doing more to stop it...but if it really was a heat wave it was probably best for them not to further aggravate the situation at that time. Perhaps they were taking that into consideration.

The temps were near 100 and the humidity sky high. I can only guess what was unruly beforehand but once the water was dumped the crowds were into it.


Well then I think the police were right not to aggravate the situation. In that kind of heat people could have gotten a lot crazier. Also people can die of heat-stroke in that kind of heat especially under exertion. They probably didn't want to risk heat stroke themselves or end up with a death on their hands.


82° F high 68° F low is not that kind of heat. It is normal summer weather.



Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 6 Jan 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 31,300
Location: Somewhere in Colorado

26 Jul 2019, 4:38 pm

EzraS wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I am curious about the unruly gatherings near open fire hydrants during a heat wave. What were the people doing that was unruly. that attracted the attention of the police in the first place..and how bad was the heat wave?

I wonder if the heat wave played any role in this behavior, but none of the news sources are talking about that. Also a lot of people are criticizing the officers for not doing more to stop it...but if it really was a heat wave it was probably best for them not to further aggravate the situation at that time. Perhaps they were taking that into consideration.

The temps were near 100 and the humidity sky high. I can only guess what was unruly beforehand but once the water was dumped the crowds were into it.


Well then I think the police were right not to aggravate the situation. In that kind of heat people could have gotten a lot crazier. Also people can die of heat-stroke in that kind of heat especially under exertion. They probably didn't want to risk heat stroke themselves or end up with a death on their hands.


82° F high 68° F low is not that kind of heat. It is normal summer weather.


It didn't happen during 82 degree weather...the news sources confirm it was during a heat wave, so I am thinking it was closer to the 100 degrees with high humidity. Though I suppose none of the sources said exactly how hot it was that I saw...but they did use the term heat wave.


_________________
Fascism is a disease.


beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2005
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,241

26 Jul 2019, 5:02 pm

The high was 74 in New York that day:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/new-y ... her/349727


_________________
"You have a responsibility to consider all sides of a problem and a responsibility to make a judgment and a responsibility to care for all involved." --Ian Danskin


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 71,178
Location: Queens, NYC

26 Jul 2019, 5:15 pm

That must have been last Monday, when a cold front came through.

We haven't had as low of a high as 74 since early June. In fact, this has been about the average LOW temperature throughout this month.



Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 18 Aug 2018
Age: 24
Gender: Male
Posts: 2,866

26 Jul 2019, 5:23 pm

This is terrible. Where's the respect for the law?



ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 25 Aug 2013
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,952
Location: Long Island, New York

26 Jul 2019, 5:40 pm

beneficii wrote:
The high was 74 in New York that day:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/new-y ... her/349727

The high temperature was 74 the day the article was written which was Tuesday. The article mentioned the incidents happened during the “recent” heatwave. The official temperature was 90 or above the previous 4 days before the article was written. The official New York City temperature is recorded in a very foliated area of Central Park that is not representative of the temperature in the concrete jungle streets. The high temperatures at area airports and at numerous weatherunderground stations in the NYC metro during the weekend was upper 90s to 100.


_________________
Professionally Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person. - Sara Luterman


Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 26 Jul 2019, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 May 2005
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 7,241

26 Jul 2019, 5:41 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
beneficii wrote:
The high was 74 in New York that day:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/new-y ... her/349727

The high temperature was 74 the day the article was written which was Tuesday. The article mentioned the incidents happened during the “recent” heatwave. The official temperature was 90 or the previous 4 days before the article was written. The official New York City temperature is recorded in a very foliated area of Central Park that is not representative of the temperature in the concrete jungle streets. The high temperatures at area airports and at numerous weatherunderground stations in the NYC during the weekend was upper 90s to 100.


So it looks like they don't say what day it occurred. Thanks for the correction.


_________________
"You have a responsibility to consider all sides of a problem and a responsibility to make a judgment and a responsibility to care for all involved." --Ian Danskin


kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 71,178
Location: Queens, NYC

26 Jul 2019, 5:50 pm

Still, 74 degrees is not exactly "Arctic" weather......



EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

26 Jul 2019, 11:37 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I am curious about the unruly gatherings near open fire hydrants during a heat wave. What were the people doing that was unruly. that attracted the attention of the police in the first place..and how bad was the heat wave?

I wonder if the heat wave played any role in this behavior, but none of the news sources are talking about that. Also a lot of people are criticizing the officers for not doing more to stop it...but if it really was a heat wave it was probably best for them not to further aggravate the situation at that time. Perhaps they were taking that into consideration.

The temps were near 100 and the humidity sky high. I can only guess what was unruly beforehand but once the water was dumped the crowds were into it.


Well then I think the police were right not to aggravate the situation. In that kind of heat people could have gotten a lot crazier. Also people can die of heat-stroke in that kind of heat especially under exertion. They probably didn't want to risk heat stroke themselves or end up with a death on their hands.


82° F high 68° F low is not that kind of heat. It is normal summer weather.


It didn't happen during 82 degree weather...the news sources confirm it was during a heat wave, so I am thinking it was closer to the 100 degrees with high humidity. Though I suppose none of the sources said exactly how hot it was that I saw...but they did use the term heat wave.



I looked up the current weather there the for what I thought was the day after and 82° F high 68° F is what I got and the temperature being in the 80s was the forecast for the rest of the week.

However to be completely accurate I found out that on July 22 it was 90° /72°. The historical average being 84°/69°. The actual day after on July 23 it was 74° /67° then on Wed July 24 it was 83° /67°.

The temperature will vary depending on where you are. For example an area that is solid concrete and asphalt is going to be hotter than Central Park.



Last edited by EzraS on 26 Jul 2019, 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Sep 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 27,828
Location: Twin Peaks

26 Jul 2019, 11:42 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Still, 74 degrees is not exactly "Arctic" weather......


No but it is about 10 degrees below normal for that time of year in NYC. I think if one studies the temperatures for the month of July in NYC over a span of 20 years, what is going to be observed is a great deal of inconsistency.

A lot of coastal areas can be raging hot one day and cool as a cucumber the day after. That happens where I live all the time in July and August.

Where I lived in Las Vegas 105 degrees is pretty much the average daily temperature throughout July and August. But it is a dry heat. But then again so is fire.



Dillion589
Butterfly
Butterfly

Joined: 11 May 2019
Age: 26
Gender: Male
Posts: 11
Location: London

27 Jul 2019, 3:34 am

THank you for this kind info