Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 6:54 am

A new type of plague has just entered the United States. Rabbit Hemorrhagic Diseases hit Washington state.

Now, a new virus is sweeping the globe. Though it targets rabbits and therefore does not pose nearly the same economic threat as that posed by African Swine Fever, it nonetheless reveals how frightening new plagues can rapidly spread across our highly interconnected planet.

Earlier this week, it was reported that Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease Virus 2 (RHDV2) was detected in a domesticated rabbit in the San Juan Islands, which are located north of Puget Sound in Washington State. Reports suggest that it is almost invariably lethal.

According to an article by Carlos Rouco and colleagues in the journal Transboundary and Emerging Diseases, RHDV2 was first detected in France in May 2010. It then spread like wildfire. Within one year, the virus was in southern Europe, and then in northern Europe shortly thereafter. Within five years, RHDV2 had spread to Africa and Australia. By 2016, the virus was in North America, and by 2018, in the United States and Israel. The authors conclude that a virus could only spread this quickly among rabbits if it was facilitated by humans, perhaps via transport of farmed rabbits.

Source: Ebola For Bunnies: Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease Strikes Washington State

Although this plague does not pose a direct threat to humans, it certainly does for our bunnies with near 100% lethality. Because we live in a highly interconnected world, it does display vulnerability that the next human plague will spread like wildfire and be difficult to contain.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 6:58 am

Oh crap I live in Washington State and my neighborhood is full of wild bunnies that I love.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 7:07 am

Aw, poor bun-buns. :(

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2019, 9:44 pm

I hear what you are saying Jimmy, it is scary how fast a plague can spread these days.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 9:19 am

Has anyone considered purposely seeding Australia with this "plague"?

Bunnies have been a pest there for over a century (the continent is girded with "rabbit proof fences").

Sounds like it would be a godsend for freeing Australia of the animals.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 9:29 am

naturalplastic wrote:

Bunnies have been a pest there for over a century (the continent is girded with "rabbit proof fences").

...I seem to recall introducing non-native species into the Australian eco-system has generally not lead to good things.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 9:40 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

...I seem to recall introducing non-native species into the Australian eco-system has generally not lead to good things.

That's the point. Rabbits are non native. So they have to wipe em out now.

(obviously the plague germ is also non native, but that's beside the point).

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 9:42 am

The title of the thread is kinda amusing because of the ambiguity of meaning.
It sounds like you're talking about THIS:

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 4:02 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

As far as I know, Australia already got that plague.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 6:04 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

It sounds like they did think about this:

Rabbit haemorrhagic disease (RHD), also known as rabbit calicivirus disease (RCD) or viral haemorrhagic disease (VHD), is a highly infectious and often fatal disease that affects wild and domestic rabbits of the species Oryctolagus cuniculus.

In 1991 a strain of the virus, Czech CAPM 351RHDV, was imported to Australia under strict quarantine conditions to research the safety and usefulness of the virus if it was used as a biological control agent against Australia and New Zealand's rabbit pest problem. Testing of the virus was undertaken on Wardang Island in Spencer Gulf off the coast of the Yorke Peninsula, South Australia. In 1995 the virus escaped quarantine and subsequently killed 10 million rabbits within 8 weeks of its release.

In March 2017 a new Korean strain known as RHDV1 K5 was successfully released in a deliberate manner after almost a decade of research. This strain was chosen in part because it functions better in cool, wet regions where the previous Calicivirus was less effective.

Source: Rabbit haemorrhagic disease

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 7:08 pm

This thread would be more fun if it were what I thought it was!

Killer bunnies...invading America!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 10:40 pm

One of those giant rabbits would be good eating.We’ll never go hungry again.

Farunel
Raven
Raven

02 Aug 2019, 2:43 am

How much of a risk does this pose for pets, do you think? Especially ones that are kept outside. We have a bunny we keep outside right now, but she's mostly been kept inside. If this really is as bad as it sounds, sounds like we may reconsider getting her back inside soon.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2019, 3:13 am

Misslizard wrote:

There's actually something called rabbit starvation, where you can starve even if you've stuffed yourself on rabbit. Their meat is very, very lean. Used to be a problem for explorers and the like.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2019, 11:20 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

There's actually something called rabbit starvation, where you can starve even if you've stuffed yourself on rabbit. Their meat is very, very lean. Used to be a problem for explorers and the like.

You have to eat the innards.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2019, 11:28 am

I know we're really screwed if rabbits of all animals end up becoming endangered or even extinct because of a disease, which the article seems to be implying.