Here we go again Portland, here we go

Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2019, 10:52 pm

This is what an anti-fascist freedom fighter looks like.

There Are Four Lights!

TheCherokeeRosePrince
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2019, 10:52 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
What is it about Portland in particular that makes it the big battleground for these groups?

I think they were true Hippies. California is expensive, over populated and well, "materialistic." Places like Oregon could still offer West Coast ideals, but also room. People can still live off the grid there, commune with nature, etc... Granted, I don't think Antifa is packed with Hippies, but these are the grandchildren of the Hippies. So, way out there art students, pot cultivators and smokers, live and let livers (which is fine). Only they don't truly espouse that belief. They decide who lives and let live. They are what they hate, but in their infinite wisdom they believe that they know the way, so their fascist behaviors are warranted.

My opinion only, take it or leave it.

You're confusing all of California with Los Angeles and their 'liberal elitist'.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2019, 10:54 pm

And this is what fascists look like — the two terrorist wings of the Democrat party, then and now.

There Are Four Lights!

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2019, 10:55 pm

Darmok wrote:

I agree. We have no clue how good we have it.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2019, 11:02 pm

TheCherokeeRosePrince wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
What is it about Portland in particular that makes it the big battleground for these groups?

I think they were true Hippies. California is expensive, over populated and well, "materialistic." Places like Oregon could still offer West Coast ideals, but also room. People can still live off the grid there, commune with nature, etc... Granted, I don't think Antifa is packed with Hippies, but these are the grandchildren of the Hippies. So, way out there art students, pot cultivators and smokers, live and let livers (which is fine). Only they don't truly espouse that belief. They decide who lives and let live. They are what they hate, but in their infinite wisdom they believe that they know the way, so their fascist behaviors are warranted.

You're confusing all of California with Los Angeles and their 'liberal elitist'.

Perhaps you are right, but a California address is one that I could never afford. The Hippies wanted freedom to pursue some spiritual activities, Oregon was and still is probably a cheaper place to live.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

TheCherokeeRosePrince
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2019, 11:05 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
Darmok wrote:

I agree. We have no clue how good we have it.

It could be a lot better if we fixed our overcrowded prisons and our absurdly expensive health care and quit trying to strip away the rights of women and minorities.

And there are hippies in Georgia, believe it or not. Atlanta is very big on Civil Rights and there's a LOT of nature here which hippies love. My mom is pretty hippyish herself.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2019, 11:07 pm

Darmok wrote:
And this is what fascists look like — the two terrorist wings of the Democrat party, then and now.

By that thinking, the Klan became the terrorist wing of the GOP during the Nixon and Reagan years when that group rejected the pro-civil rights plank of the Democrats.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2019, 11:19 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

In all fairness, it's tough to extend a "live and let live" ideology toward people who want to deport or murder other Americans for their skin color, national origin, or religion.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 12:03 am

Persephone29 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

The entire West Coast is expensive. I don’t have much interest in Portland, but rather the metropolis to the north.

But officially, politics isn’t a major factor as to where I live. However, I wonder what place is best for a politically moderate, very sex-positive Lutheran.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 2:33 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

The entire West Coast is expensive. I don’t have much interest in Portland, but rather the metropolis to the north.

But officially, politics isn’t a major factor as to where I live. However, I wonder what place is best for a politically moderate, very sex-positive Lutheran.

My home area in and around Spokane, Washington, might be a nice home for you. I'm also a Lutheran without sexual hangups or prejudices, and I get on fine here.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 7:38 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

My home area in and around Spokane, Washington, might be a nice home for you. I'm also a Lutheran without sexual hangups or prejudices, and I get on fine here.

Is there this much civil unrest in Seattle or the main cities in CA?

In any case, the whole region seriously needs to address affordable housing.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 10:36 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
America exports fascism

Uh huh. :roll:

You'd know that if you'd read or listened to Chomsky over the years. They have done it in South America mainly.

Yes, I am well aware of all that. That was mostly during the Cold War when the political establishment figured right wing governments would clamp down on communism, and in doing so also stunted the growth of democracy.
What I was referring to was America's war against fascism in WWII. And that value is being rediscovered with groups like Antifa and Black Lives Matter.

Bulls**t. Communism was the excuse not that it excuses murdering Priests and Union leaders by using Himmler style death squads. They didn't go to fight fascism, they reinstated the Nazi collaborators in Italy and installed a Nazi in North Africa. Your fairytale version of history is just garbage. They also started bringing Nazis to work for them from 1945
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Paperclip

The US supported neo Nazis in Ukraine, So it has nothing to do with Communism.

Antifa are just a bunch of communist thugs.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 5:51 pm

JohnPowell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
America exports fascism

You'd know that if you'd read or listened to Chomsky over the years. They have done it in South America mainly.

Yes, I am well aware of all that. That was mostly during the Cold War when the political establishment figured right wing governments would clamp down on communism, and in doing so also stunted the growth of democracy.
What I was referring to was America's war against fascism in WWII. And that value is being rediscovered with groups like Antifa and Black Lives Matter.

Bulls**t. Communism was the excuse not that it excuses murdering Priests and Union leaders by using Himmler style death squads. They didn't go to fight fascism, they reinstated the Nazi collaborators in Italy and installed a Nazi in North Africa. Your fairytale version of history is just garbage. They also started bringing Nazis to work for them from 1945

Yes, it was about communism, as Cold War fears had grown to hysteria.
Installing fascists in Italy after the war was not just the idea of the United States, but all the western Allies, including your country and the Papacy.
The Nazi element in Ukraine is so exaggerated by you guys on the right. That was coming from your boss, Putin, as propaganda.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2019, 6:01 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

Is there this much civil unrest in Seattle or the main cities in CA?

In any case, the whole region seriously needs to address affordable housing.

While there are some demonstrations in Spokane and the surrounding area, they haven't gotten violent, and hopefully never will. In fact, while there was an Occupy Spokane movement here, it in fact worked with the police to avoid even the appearance of law breaking, and they even rescued a lady from being violently assaulted.
We have a Pride Parade which is attended by mean spirited counter protesters, but their numbers are dwarfed by everyone else who just laugh at them, and even the fire department and the police taking part in the parade blare their sirens to drown out those homophobic loons.
As for cost of living - people from Seattle, often artists and musicians, have relocated to Spokane because it's cheaper. Seattle's loss has been our gain.
There are political extremes here, but most people are more purple than anything else.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 7:36 am

In all honesty, though, I don’t think any of the scenarios that the alt-right and Antifa are fighting about will ever come to fruition. Nobody is being “replaced”, and nobody is going to be exterminated.

JohnPowell
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2019, 11:22 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
JohnPowell wrote:
America exports fascism

Yes, it was about communism, as Cold War fears had grown to hysteria.
Installing fascists in Italy after the war was not just the idea of the United States, but all the western Allies, including your country and the Papacy.
The Nazi element in Ukraine is so exaggerated by you guys on the right. That was coming from your boss, Putin, as propaganda.

Nothing to do with communism, as I just told you the US was supporting Nazis before the cold war and neo Nazis during and after. Even if your fantasies and lies about communism were true, that still would not justify supporting neo Nazi death squads. And it had nothing to do with communism, it's just the US wants to control the world and especially South America.
I'm talking about during the war, it was the first thing the US did.
My boss? Your fantasies are hilarious. It's you defending Nazis, neo Nazis and their murderous tactics.

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?"