Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 8:13 pm

Ric Ocasek, Lead Singer of The Cars, Dead in New York at 75

Quote:
Rock & Roll Hall of Famer Ric Ocasek, lead singer of the rock band The Cars, died Sunday in New York at age 75.
Police said they received a call around 4 p.m. for an unconscious male at a townhouse on East 19th Street. He was pronounced dead at the scene. Law enforcement sources confirmed the deceased was Ocasek.
Ocasek and his band were inducted into the Rock Hall in 2018. The institution described the band as "hook-savvy with the perfect combo of new wave and classic rock."

The band had 13 top-40 singles, including radio staples like "Good Times Roll" and "Just What I Needed," and Ocasek went on to a successful producing career after The Cars broke up in the late 1980s.

He was also known for his long-running marriage to the Czech supermodel Paulina Porizkova. She announced their separation in 2018 after 28 years of marriage.

They listed the 19th Street residence for sale earlier this year for more than $15 million.

The Cars were the act that really broke New Wave Rock in America. Before them Punk and New wave were for the most part sensationalist news stories. The Cars were the first New Wave act regularly played on rock radio stations here.

"The lunatics have taken over the asylum" - The Specials

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 8:39 pm

RIP Ric. I enjoyed the Cars music back in the day and was sad when they broke up. At least their songs will still last long after they pass on.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 9:03 pm

Now he's up there jamming again with Benny Eleven Letters....

"Ain't nothing but a stranger in this world
I'm nothing but a stranger in this world" -Van Morrison

AQ-43 (32-50 indicates a strong likelihood of Asperger syndrome or autism).
EQ-14 out of 80
Rdos: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 173 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 39 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 12:26 am

...1. - lRIP. Eddie .Money just died - who'd the , 3d dead music dtar, now from the late 70s generatiom! - be :P? :mrgreen: :skull: :P ?
2. - Whee - here comes a pop culture argument :P . I AM RIGHT, of course. :lol: As fat ad " a ' new wave '- identified group having a Billboard Top 40 Jot 100 entry " went. Los Cars were the THIRD by my calculation! 8O THE Patti Smith Group's " Because The Night " reached Casey-Land a few weeks prior - and went Top 15 (uh...20?????) nationally and got on.77 WABC, local boy. neither of which the Cars did then to my knowledge :lol: :lol: :heart: ! But - most of all -
TOM PETTY AND THR HEARTBTEAKERS e
were originally tagged/sold with the " New Wave " pehras 8O - Oh yes they were 8) - and " Breakdown " made #40 8O :wink: !

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 12:50 am

I remember the Cars back in the eighties,they were one of my favorite bands as a kids

darkwaver
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

Yesterday, 8:06 pm

Rest in peace :(

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 8:52 pm

The Cars frontman Ric Ocasek’s cause of death revealed

Quote:
The Cars frontman Ric Ocasek died naturally of heart disease, the city Medical Examiner’s Office said Monday.

The iconic new-wave rock star, 75, was found unconscious inside his Gramercy Park pad around 4:14 p.m. Sunday by his estranged wife, supermodel Paulina Porizkova.

He was pronounced dead at the scene.

It’s unclear how long Ocasek, born Otcasek, had been suffering from heart disease. Pulmonary emphysema, a type of lung disease, contributed to his death, the ME’s office said.

The “My Best Friend’s Girl” singer had recently placed the home where he was found on the market after he and Porizkova announced their split in May.

The pair — who shared two sons — had been together for 28 years when they separated. The singer also had four other sons from previous marriages.

Ric Ocasek’s wife reveals how she discovered The Cars frontman had died

Quote:
Ric Ocasek’s estranged supermodel wife discovered he had died while bringing him coffee on Sunday — revealing in a statement that The Cars frontman was recovering from recent surgery.

“Ric was at home recuperating well after surgery,” Paulina Porizkova wrote in a statement published on Instagram Monday — calling the rock legend’s death “untimely and unexpected.”

“Our two sons, Jonathan and Oliver, and I were making sure he was comfortable, ordering food and watching TV together.

“I found him still asleep when bringing him his Sunday morning coffee. I touched his cheek to rouse him. It was then I realized that during the night he had peacefully passed on.”

Porizkova thanked fans for their support — sharing a photo of the small floral shrine which sprung up outside his Gramercy Park pad where fans and neighbors paid tribute to the iconic new wave rock star, 75.

“We appreciate the great outpouring of love. We, his family and friends, are completely and utterly devastated,” she wrote. The pair, who had been together for 28 years, announced their split in May 2018.

Neighbors stopped to pay their respects on Monday — with one fan dropping of a picture of The Cars’ 1978 debut album and another leaving behind a vintage toy car.

Locals who knew Ocasek described him as a “very sweet” and “gentle” man who was an unassuming fixture in the neighborhood and always happy to have a chat.

Lisa Chai, 46, stopped by on her way to work to pay her respects and left the toy car for the rock icon, describing his death as “very sad.”

“I was going to go get flowers but I feel like a car was more appropriate!” Chai said. “My son was born here and (Ocasek) would always pass by and say hello. He was so nice, so friendly.”

Local Rebecca Spath grew up listening to Ocasek’s rock band and left behind a pink candle, telling The Post, “I wanted to honor him as a neighbor, as a musician and producer.”

“I left a candle, I didn’t have a car! I was hoping there would be flowers here today, I’m glad he’s being remembered,” she said.

Neighbor Julie Block told The Post she was grief-stricken as a fan of his music and as his neighbor.

“I first spoke to him about seven years ago, and I swear this is true, I was walking down the street and I was listening to The Cars and there he was!” Block said.

“I pulled an earphone out and I said, ‘I’m listening to you right now and you made my workout really happy!’ and he was very friendly,” she said.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 10:25 pm

When you get to a certain age and figures from your youth die it is usually not a good feeling. It reminds you of your mortality and that you can not do the things you used to. More than that it reminds you some things you hold dear have been replaced and are not coming back.

There are some deaths that hit you harder than others. I was reminded of that this week with the deaths Eddie Money and Ric Ocasek within days of each other whose popularity peaked in during young adulthood. Money's death hit me in the usual way from a figure from my youth. Ocasek's death is one of the harder ones. Like many older autistics we had it difficult being undiagnosed in the 70s and 80s. We felt that nobody else could possibly understand, hell we did not understand. I liked and appreciated the talent of musicians playing what we now call classic rock. What I could not do is relate to guys singing about going from city to city, packing arenas and having drugs and women awaiting them.

From a 2019 perspective The Cars sound more like a classic 70s hard rock act such as Boston and Foreigner than New Wave which Americans now associate with 80s synth playing gender bending British pop acts with angular haircuts. Indeed, the Cars are a staple of Classic Rock radio. But it was not that way at the time. To get a perspective we need to go back to 1978. As noted in the OP the punk I was reading about did not seem appealing to put it mildly, safety pins through the nose, violence and spitting at the band as a sign of affection WTF?. Since no punk was on the radio what I was reading was the only reference. The rest of the country felt the same way anti monarchy meant nothing here and America was is a period of recovering from the confrontations of the 60s confrontational punk is not what was wanted. When the Cars first came on the radio I really liked them but I thought they were a 60s act I had forgotten about. Later I read they were "New Wave". New Wave meant back in '78 and '79 arty punk or pop punk rock if you liked it watered down punk if you didn't. The Cars made me want to check out this New Wave thing. It had the same effect on others also, Blondie, The Police, and Joe Jackson charted in '79. The Cars fit right in that group. These acts looked different, in their songs they did not always get the girl, at times they were downright cynical. I could not just like but relate. I went all in getting really into quirky New Wave acts such as the B-52's and Lene Lovich. The songs were not smooth but stop start. 35 years before my Aspergers diagnosis while I might have not been exactly like these people I was enough like them. That they were out there and others liked them was a revelation. This seemed like the future of rock. After years of being an outsider to be a part of it however small was a rush. And it all would not have been possible if the Cars had not kicked open the door.

The 80s went on. Many 70s rock acts both mainstream and New Wave could not cut it in the video synth pop era. But the Cars and myself "kept it going" as the lyrics from 'You Might Think" explained. The video for that song won best video on MTV that year. The "New Wave" sounds were more nakedly pop and disco but still had that innovative and subversive feel about them. That is what made the 80s unique. It still sounded great to my ears.

All good things must come to and end and so it was with The Cars and the New Wave era, I was the outsider again. By the 2010s as a 50 something being different and 80s nostalgia had long lost there appeal, I was too old for that s**t. But when it came to being diagnosed in 2013 I was able to draw upon those long ago memories. Some parallels were obvious. Like then but ever more so there were others like me and being different is ok if not even fun sometimes.

That was kind of rambling and the experience is unique to me. I don't know if anybody else can understand never mind relate but that is why Ric Ocasek's death hurts more than the usual celebrity death. I needed to get it off my chest. If you are still reading thanks.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 10:37 pm

I can dig it.

I used to like both British and American New Wave. I liked the Cars. That guy Ocasek has quite a unique look to him.

I believe Gary Numan’s passing away might have an impact on me. He did a song called “Cars” in 1979.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 10:53 pm

I believe Gary Numan said he has Aspergers.

I am a big fan of the Cars. I listen to their music all the time. The band's co founder, Benjamin Orr (who sounds very much like Ocasek) died in 2000 if pancreatic cancer. It took me a while to figure out which songs were sung by Orr and which were sung by Ocasek.

Last edited by EzraS on 16 Sep 2019, 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 10:58 pm

Yep. That’s true. He seems Aspergian in his video for “Cars.”

I’m shocked that Ocasek was that old. Usually, people who did New Wave are only a few years older than me. He was only 1 year younger than Mick Jagger.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 11:42 pm

...I lost a draft :cry: . I went at quite some length regarding my experience, a touch different, during the original punk/new wave period, and a bit after - and I lost it.
I am here looking with my bad eyes without prescription glasses at this fuzzy screen, here in the not-enough-sleep or rest shelter - and I lost it :( .
For something ectrs, I'll add this ' a third tock musician of promince, though not commercially, died. Daniel Johnston. Slightly younger than me, in fact. He was very " indie " in his style/approach, and literally on his commercial level. I never heard actually that much of him :( . Did any of you guys know of him?
Johnston was arguably sorta-kinda " one of us " DXd schizophrenic, I believe.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 2:10 am

EzraS wrote:
I believe Gary Numan said he has Aspergers.

I am a big fan of the Cars. I listen to their music all the time. The band's co founder, Benjamin Orr (who sounds very much like Ocasek) died in 2000 if pancreatic cancer. It took me a while to figure out which songs were sung by Orr and which were sung by Ocasek.

Then rest in peace, brother.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 3:29 am

Ode to Rick O! RIP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuZA6qiJVfU

I imagine a great big cadillac will be driving him home one last time....

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

Today, 4:29 am

another one joins heaven's helluva band. one by one they matriculate, until all have moved on. then who will we be left with?