Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 4:29 pm

Perhaps supporters of Elizabeth Warren should consider this ~ Is there a general tendency for the national vote total so say " Eeh, no " to Massachusetts candidates? John Kerry lost in 2004, Mitt Romney is 2012 ~ A word to the wise should be sufficient :? ? 8O :twisted:

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 8:10 pm

Mitt Romney was born in Detroit Michigan, and lived in, is associated with, and represented in Congress: Mormon Utah. I dont see why you associate Romney with Massachusetts.

On the other hand the elder George Bush was a son of Massachusetts, and served only one term as POTUS. The fact that won even that one term MIGHT have something to do with the fact that he ran against another son of Mass. (Micheal Dukakis), and when he ran against Arkansas native Bill Clinton old HW lost. So Herbert Walker Bush might have been cursed and only escaped the curse when he rain against another person with the same curse. :!:

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 8:26 pm

...Mitt was Governed of Massachusetts and I assume he was still an official.resident when he ran.

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 10:11 pm

There is no Massachusetts curse,Kerry and Romney just ran against strong incumbents at the time.Yes Romney was raised in Michigan but lived in MA for a long time and started bain capital out of Allston,MA I believe.Then had an unsucessfull run for senate in the 90's against John Kerry then won as govenor after Jane Swift stepped down.

George H.W Bush was born in MA but moved to Texas after college.Michael Dukakis was a weak canidate in general and it's no supprise he lost to George Bush.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 11:22 pm

This is the kind of small sample size that sounds good on paper, but really doesn't have a large enough data set to support it. Beating incumbents is hard. The 1 term presidents over the last 100 years: Bush Sr., Jimmy Carter, Gerald Ford, JFK, Herbert Hoover, Warren G Harding. Two of those died in office.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 12:18 am

Mitt Romney was born in Detroit, MI

John Kerry was born in Aurora, CO

Elizabeth Warren was born in Oklahoma City.

Curses can be broken, much as the Zero Year Curse was.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 3:09 am

All of our first POTUS prior to Andrew Jackson were either from Massachusetts, or from Virginia (the two oldest of the original 13 colonies dominated US politics for a long time after independence).

Andrew Jackson was born in North Carolina but lived most of his life in Tennesee. So he was the first to be not from Mass or Va, and the first to have moved around. Americans have been highly mobile ever since.

Not only do you have a small sample size here, but its hard to even define the concept of "from Massachusetts" these days.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 8:32 am

naturalplastic wrote:
All of our first POTUS prior to Andrew Jackson were either from Massachusetts, or from Virginia (the two oldest of the original 13 colonies dominated US politics for a long time after independence).

Andrew Jackson was born in North Carolina but lived most of his life in Tennesee. So he was the first to be not from Mass or Va, and the first to have moved around. Americans have been highly mobile ever since.

Not only do you have a small sample size here, but its hard to even define the concept of "from Massachusetts" these days.
There has not been a president from Massachusetts since Kennedy but every MA senator has run for president since then.But I don't think there is any curse,I think Warren could win she's getting close to Biden in the poles and I don't think Biden is very electable

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 8:36 am

Why would anyone not like a candidate from "Taxachusetts"?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Apuleius
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Oct 2019, 9:01 am

Fnord wrote:
Why would anyone not like a candidate from "Taxachusetts"?

We're actually ranked 25th for tax burden. Right in the middle of the pack.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2019, 12:55 pm

Michael Dukakis was the only presidential candidate from MA (both born in, and representing in elected office) to be cursed. All the other nominees to meet both criteria were elected president. They were John and John Quincy Adams, and JFK. JFK, however, would be the last person to fall under the Zero Year Curse.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 7:41 am

Trump is "45".

And there are fifty states.

So statistically each state should have averaged 9/10 of a single president by now.

Mass. has had three POTUS. So Mass is blessed (not cursed) by having had three times the national average of presidents. And that's ONLY by using Tim's strict criteria of only counting those both born, and representing, the state as being "from the state".

Of course to be really scientific you would have to factor the state's population into it too. And that's further complicated by the fact that both the number states and their population rankings changed over the course of US history.

But you cant expect Alaska, or Rhode Island, to produce as many presidents as California.

But you WOULD expect California to produce more than Mass.. But we have had only had one President who achieved fame and fortune in his adult life while in California (Reagan), and even he wasn't actually born there. So Mass beats out the current biggest population state (3 to 0, or 3 to 1, depending upon how generous you wanna be to Cali).

Ohio has had the greatest no. of potus.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 10:56 am

Nixon was from CA.

Also, Virginia has had the most presidents, not Ohio.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 11:22 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Nixon was from CA.

Also, Virginia has had the most presidents, not Ohio.

How could I forget Nixon???? :oops:

Are you sure? I always THOUGHT that Virginia would have had the most, which is exactly why I was surprised to read somewhere that it was Ohio. But maybe I misread it.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 12:18 pm

Ohio has had the most

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2019, 3:31 pm

Thank you!