Page 4 of 10 [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 5:18 pm

If Trump is convicted at an Impeachment trial by the Senate (something which is highly doubtful), he would be removed from office LEGALLY.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 5:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If Trump is convicted at an Impeachment trial by the Senate (something which is highly doubtful), he would be removed from office LEGALLY.

Unless the Supreme Court rules their decision wrong. Congress is held in check by Supreme Court otherwise they can just remove all presidents who don’t do as they want. Sorry congress isn’t the so decision and even they did remove him doesn’t mean it’s legal or right. This is purely political show as it’s been since before he’s been elected. Imagine if before Obama took office republicans called for impeachment then called for it every single week his whole time in office. How’d you would felt about that?

“Were Congress to try to impeach and remove a president without alleging and proving any such crime, and were the president to refuse to leave office on the ground that Congress had acted unconstitutionally, there would indeed be such a constitutional crisis. And Supreme Court precedent going back to Marbury v. Madison empowers the justices to resolve conflicts between the executive and legislative branches by applying the Constitution as the supreme law of the land. ”

Last edited by sly279 on 02 Oct 2019, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 5:29 pm

They did the same thing to Clinton in 1999. Political grandstanding. He was impeached, but not convicted.

Because he lied to Congress about whether he "had sex with that woman."

Of course, this impeachment thing is "political grandstanding."

I don't like Trump because he wants to pack the Supreme Court with religious conservatives who don't want "church and state" to be separated. I am a Jew who would not like there to be a "Christian" nation. That's what these religious conservatives want. They take the moral high horse (yet they are frequently hypocrites who don't always do the "moral" thing.

Trump also does not advocate well for the First Amendment. He doesn't believe in Freedom of the Press, especially.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 5:33 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
They did the same thing to Clinton in 1999. Political grandstanding. He was impeached, but not convicted.

They didn’t call for impeachment before he took office and every week all 8 years. They called for and did it when he lied.
Democrats have been calling for this since he announced he’d be running and looking for any possible thing to do it for every single week. They want him gone the reason doesn’t matter to them. It’s not about laws or crimes it’s about getting ride of a political rival.

If it was they’d be wanting Biden to leave the race as he did shady stuff.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 5:35 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I don't like Trump because he wants to pack the Supreme Court with religious conservatives who don't want "church and state" to be separated. I am a Jew who would not like there to be a "Christian" nation. That's what these religious conservatives want. They take the moral high horse (yet they are frequently hypocrites who don't always do the "moral" thing.

Trump also does not advocate well for the First Amendment. He doesn't believe in Freedom of the Press, especially.

While you can argue whether perjury is a removable offense, it is a felony crime. It's important to remember when people say "All Clinton did is lie about having sex with a woman."

Last edited by Antrax on 02 Oct 2019, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 5:38 pm

The Republicans in 1999 were doing similar things to Clinton as the Democrats are doing to Trump now.

I don't believe in political grandstanding myself. I don't believe Trump will be convicted.

I, myself, wish Trump would just go away....and host his Apprentice show again. And stop trying to play President.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 5:46 pm

Antrax wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

While you can argue whether perjury is a removable offense, it is a felony crime. It's important to remember when people say "All Clinton did is lie about having sex with a woman."

Abuse of power is a high crime.

Antrax
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 6:06 pm

beneficii wrote:
Antrax wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Abuse of power is a high crime.

To be honest the Democrats have done great damage to their impeachment case by constantly calling for Trump's impeachment. It makes it more difficult to ascertain whether what Trump has done is actually impeachable. Democrats have been the boys who cried wolf, and if the wolf is here and they fail it will be because of that.

What I've seen of the Ukraine situation certainly looks pretty bad, but here's the thing. We don't actually have precedent on what is a removable offense because no one has actually been removed.

I would like facts, and quiet to think over the facts. Very difficult in this day and age.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 6:11 pm

It's really a moot point, in my opinion. 22 non-Democrats are not going to vote for conviction---and that's assuming all 45 Democrats would vote for conviction. If 44 Democrats vote for conviction, then 23 non-Democrats would have to vote for conviction. 67 votes are needed for conviction.

I don't believe impeachment is Trump's main problem. What possibly might cause him real problems are potential charges which could be laid upon him by the State of New York.

It's a problem----because Trump would not be able to pardon himself if convicted of state charges.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 6:14 pm

Trump is over here using his bully pulpit to advocate violence against Democrats and you guys are quibbling over what really is and is not a high crime. Trump is a criminal and fascist, period. You guys are rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

Last edited by beneficii on 02 Oct 2019, 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 6:16 pm

The lunatic fringe of both parties----are advocating violence against each other.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 6:17 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The lunatic fringe of both parties----are advocating violence against each other.

Can you name a single prominant person on the left who is advocating violence? I can't think of any.

But Trump, who is the gd President of the United States of America IS advocating violence. That doesn't have any significance to you?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 6:21 pm

I'm not talking about mainstream Republicans and Democrats.

I'm talking about hacks of both parties in the streets. During demonstrations.

We don't have the political violence which is found in many countries around the world. What's happening in Portland is small potatoes compared to what's happening in many other countries.

I wish we would all just calm down, truthfully.

I don't like it that Trump is creating an atmosphere which makes it SEEM like many people are advocating violence.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 6:24 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm not talking about mainstream Republicans and Democrats.

I'm talking about hacks of both parties in the streets.

I wish we would all just calm down, truthfully.

I don't like it that Trump is creating an atmosphere which makes it SEEM like many people are advocating violence.

Even if the left "calms down", Trump is still going to advocate violence, and will do any rotten or criminal thing to stay in power. You guys really are not seeing the danger here? You cannot calm down when the President is doing that. Sure, we don't engage in violence, but it sure as heck is time for activism, strong, vocal, public activism.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 6:28 pm

Am I saying I'm against activism? No, I'm not!

But I believe in activism with a dialogue. I believe we have to have "rules of engagement."

I believe in Martin Luther King, not Malcolm X before he converted to mainstream Islam.

What's really troubling in an international context, to me, is the fact that the Geneva Convention is frequently sneezed at these days by countries like the United States.

We, internationally, need to heed the Geneva Convention----otherwise, we would lose all credibility from nations who believe in a more enlightened situation.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2019, 6:40 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It's really a moot point, in my opinion. 22 non-Democrats are not going to vote for conviction---and that's assuming all 45 Democrats would vote for conviction. If 44 Democrats vote for conviction, then 23 non-Democrats would have to vote for conviction. 67 votes are needed for conviction.

I don't believe impeachment is Trump's main problem. What possibly might cause him real problems are potential charges which could be laid upon him by the State of New York.

It's a problem----because Trump would not be able to pardon himself if convicted of state charges.

And the New York State Attorney General is not hampered by the Department of Justice guidelines prohibiting indicting a sitting President

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman