Another Trump Supporter threatening civil war

Page 20 of 24 [ 380 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 9:44 am

Yep...both were guilty. No doubt about that!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 9:49 am

I would say---probably the vast majority would have been preventable today.

A simple wound could have conceivably killed somebody in those camps.

The "germ theory" was beginning to take shape in those days---but its practitioners were scorned.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 9:51 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

The "germ theory" was beginning to take shape in those days---but its practitioners were scorned.

I remember doing a class assignment where I read that Americans were basically behind Europeans in terms of medical science back in the Civil War days.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 9:53 am

I would say that's true.

But the Europeans weren't doing so hot, either.....

People like Pasteur, maybe 20 years after the Civil War, changed everything around.

And penicillin, promulgated by Alexander Fleming about 1925, but really only used in practical terms starting in the 1940s, REALLY changed everything around.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 10:00 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

By "scorned" do you mean punished by hanging or firing squad for using whiskey as an antiseptic instead of beverage?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 10:05 am

Not so extreme as that----but people who were espousing the "germ theory" circa 1865 were scorned and ostracized.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 5:20 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
But you know something? I don't believe everyone who fought in the Civil War was doing it over slavery or preserving our precious Union or whatever. I think some of those men were fighting simply because they were violent psychopaths looking for an excuse to kill people. Just like every war fought in the history of humankind. War is the perfect excuse to partake in mass murder and maybe a little rape and torture too.

If it was all about violent psychopaths looking fora reason to kill, why don we pull all military forces out of the middle East and instead send in force made of mass murderers, cannibals, etc who would otherwise be doing life in prison. That way they can have fun serving their sentence and give more soldiers time with their families?

What would entitle us to dump our criminals on another society to brutalize? Among things, soldiers have objectives to accomplish, their violence isn't simply for the sake of violence, it's to accomplish those objectives. How could dumping a bunch of murderers on them help accomplish any useful objective in any way?

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 5:28 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
But you know something? I don't believe everyone who fought in the Civil War was doing it over slavery or preserving our precious Union or whatever. I think some of those men were fighting simply because they were violent psychopaths looking for an excuse to kill people. Just like every war fought in the history of humankind. War is the perfect excuse to partake in mass murder and maybe a little rape and torture too.

If it was all about violent psychopaths looking fora reason to kill, why don we pull all military forces out of the middle East and instead send in force made of mass murderers, cannibals, etc who would otherwise be doing life in prison. That way they can have fun serving their sentence and give more soldiers time with their families?

What would entitle us to dump our criminals on another society to brutalize? Among things, soldiers have objectives to accomplish, their violence isn't simply for the sake of violence, it's to accomplish those objectives. How could dumping a bunch of murderers on them help accomplish any useful objective in any way?

I was being sarcastic about the idea that most soldiers were violent psychopaths.

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 5:29 pm

Not that I support giving leverage to murderers, but how exactly do you think people win these wars? War is nothing but a form of mass murder no matter how the victors try to justify it.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 5:31 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
Quote:
It was worse for the slaves...but it wasn’t a walk in the park for the poor white folks, either.

It’s good to have perspective....but it’s bad not to acknowledge that others suffered under the slave system in the South.

Some people don't give a s**t because there really is a prejudice towards both the white people from the south and the Germans because of the terrible things they did in the past, and cyberdad has proved my point about that although I'm sure he'll deny it.

I find it disturbing that anybody would actually think it's ok to slaughter women and children during times of war.

One can object to it but still recognize that brutalizing civilian populations has been a common tactic up until very recently. Civilians on both sides of the US Civil War were brutalized, why focus on the southern civilians suffering? Given how important slavery was to the southern economy, outside of a few areas like Appalachia, everyone bore guilt for slavery because they all benefited from it. It's perfectly fine to make a blanket condemnation of the way wars were fought at the time, but why focus on the civilians of the aggressor/traitor government?

I'm not sure why not giving those people special treatment compared to other victims of war at the time somehow makes Cyberdad especially hostile against those people. They don't deserve to have the value of their lives and well-being elevated above all other people alive at that time.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 5:31 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:

I was being sarcastic about the idea that most soldiers were violent psychopaths.

Just making sure. :nerdy:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 5:33 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Quote:
It was worse for the slaves...but it wasn’t a walk in the park for the poor white folks, either.

It’s good to have perspective....but it’s bad not to acknowledge that others suffered under the slave system in the South.

Some people don't give a s**t because there really is a prejudice towards both the white people from the south and the Germans because of the terrible things they did in the past, and cyberdad has proved my point about that although I'm sure he'll deny it.

I find it disturbing that anybody would actually think it's ok to slaughter women and children during times of war.

One can object to it but still recognize that brutalizing civilian populations has been a common tactic up until very recently. Civilians on both sides of the US Civil War were brutalized, why focus on the southern civilians suffering? Given how important slavery was to the southern economy, outside of a few areas like Appalachia, everyone bore guilt for slavery because they all benefited from it. It's perfectly fine to make a blanket condemnation of the way wars were fought at the time, but why focus on the civilians of the aggressor/traitor government?

I'm not sure why not giving those people special treatment compared to other victims of war at the time somehow makes Cyberdad especially hostile against those people. They don't deserve to have the value of their lives and well-being elevated above all other people alive at that time.

Exactly what northern civies of the war were brutalized other than the morons who decided to have a picnic while watching the first battle?

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 5:37 pm

The South suffered the most from the war. Any northern civilian casualities were very meager in comparison because the north was invading us.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 5:42 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Quote:

Exactly what northern civies of the war were brutalized other than the morons who decided to have a picnic while watching the first battle?

TW1ZTY wrote:
The South suffered the most from the war. Any northern civilian casualities were very meager in comparison because the north was invading us.

You're not familiar with 'Bleeding Kansas'?

Of course the south suffered more, they initiated hostilities with the north and lost. Generally the loser gets the worst of things, that's why they're the loser. They've spent the last 154 years attempting to portray themselves as the victims of the War of Southern Treachery, it wasn't true then and it's still just Lost Cause nonsense today.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

TW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 5:49 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Quote:

TW1ZTY wrote:

Of course the south suffered more, they initiated hostilities with the north and lost. Generally the loser gets the worst of things, that's why they're the loser. They've spent the last 154 years attempting to portray themselves as the victims of the War of Southern Treachery, it wasn't true then and it's still just Lost Cause nonsense today.

Whatever, I'm sure if it was your home being burned to the ground and your family was left to starve to death while you were imprisoned in some disease-infested hell hole you would be singing a different tune. :roll:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2019, 5:54 pm

TW1ZTY wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
TW1ZTY wrote:
Quote:

TW1ZTY wrote:

Whatever, I'm sure if it was your home being burned to the ground and your family was left to starve to death while you were imprisoned in some disease-infested hell hole you would be singing a different tune. :roll:

I'll take that as you conceding there's absolutely no legitimate reason to be more invested in the sufferings of the white southerners who fought against America than any other group of people who had to deal with war in the 1800s, notwithstanding your personal connection to those folks vs. all the others.

You can spare the snark, it's not helping you make your point.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う