Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 12:19 am

Will you ride eternal, shiny & chrome?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 4:03 am

EzraS wrote:
Fundie conservatives expecting armageddon.

Lefty liberals expecting climate apocalypse.

Which will come first?

Fundamentalist christians also expect an apocalypse, but at least the environmental people are trying to do something to stop it, the fundies just think its the fate of the world and should just be accepted.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 4:05 am

Bravo5150 wrote:
I would have thought that pesticides would be taking a down turn in recent years with everyone trying to go towards organics over fears about commercial chemicals causing cancer and such.

Well kind of hard to do with the monsanto/bayer(yeah that trusty company that makes the asprin) super corporation trying to control the crops and forcing farmers to plant poisoned seeds.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 4:08 am

EzraS wrote:
Or Mad Max.

Or whatever similar scenarios were on the screen and in books going further back in time.

And of course there's still also WW3 and the Killer Comet / Killer Asteroid.

Just wait till the water wars start, then it will really be like Mad Max.

Bravo5150
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 4:12 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
I would have thought that pesticides would be taking a down turn in recent years with everyone trying to go towards organics over fears about commercial chemicals causing cancer and such.

Well kind of hard to do with the monsanto/bayer(yeah that trusty company that makes the asprin) super corporation trying to control the crops and forcing farmers to plant poisoned seeds.

I am familiar with that company, but look at all the products labeled as "organic" and "non-gmo" in the store grown without using products put out by Bayer.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 4:52 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Or Mad Max.

Or whatever similar scenarios were on the screen and in books going further back in time.

I'm pretty sure you can find 'severe drought' as one of a few factors in most of the current civil wars in northern Africa and the middle east, and regional conflicts in India.
The water wars have already started, they are just not one global civil war yet.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 8:08 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Or Mad Max.

But what about Waterworld?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 8:17 pm

Bravo5150 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:

I am familiar with that company, but look at all the products labeled as "organic" and "non-gmo" in the store grown without using products put out by Bayer.

Funny thing with aspirin. For decades scientists were saying take aspirin to prevent heart attacks. Taking a little aspirin everyday will save your life. Studies have proven how beneficial it is to take aspirin daily.

Then all of a sudden. Don't take aspirin. Aspirin will not help prevent a heart attack. Taking aspirin does more harm than good.

This happens a lot. Scientists finding out that they were completely wrong about whatever they were certain about for decades.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 11:42 pm

EzraS wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Bravo5150 wrote:

Funny thing with aspirin. For decades scientists were saying take aspirin to prevent heart attacks. Taking a little aspirin everyday will save your life. Studies have proven how beneficial it is to take aspirin daily.

Then all of a sudden. Don't take aspirin. Aspirin will not help prevent a heart attack. Taking aspirin does more harm than good.

This happens a lot. Scientists finding out that they were completely wrong about whatever they were certain about for decades.

This is a creationist argument, and a BS one at that, that fails to understand the concept and importance of falsifiability in science--which basically means, science can always be wrong.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Science_was_wrong_before

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 11:51 pm

Quote:
You may have heard about major errors in science and engineering that made the news headlines, like the collapse of the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, aka “Galloping Gertie,” or the 1999 crash of the Mars Climate Orbiter. Or maybe you’ve seen the recent video from SpaceX, “How Not to Land an Orbital Rocket Booster.” You may not realize how often scientists are wrong, but being wrong is actually part of the process of doing science. The trick is to catch errors before they leave the lab, and certainly before they make the front-page news, though, obviously, that doesn’t always happen.

Thomas Edison famously said, “Genius is one percent inspiration and 99 percent perspiration.” Why so much perspiration? Because of all the effort you put into testing your inspirations, having them be wrong and not work, and then trying again. This is brilliantly illustrated by something Edison supposedly also said about making lightbulbs: “I have not failed 700 times. I’ve succeeded in proving 700 ways how not to build a lightbulb.”

https://www.nist.gov/blogs/taking-measu ... ng-science

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2019, 11:53 pm

You should also keep in mind, that if the temperature estimate turns out to be a bit off, that's still very different from a complete falsification of climate change. There are degrees to how wrong you are. Not recognizing that is "wronger than wrong":

Quote:
When people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical, they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wronger_than_wrong

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 1:40 am

youtube - blog - wiki.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 1:49 am

EzraS wrote:

You need to check the literature
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanc ... 40-6736(18)31884-1/fulltext

Asprin is still the primary standard care for acute coronary syndrome. The "all of a sudden" business pertains to the greater understanding of the side-effects. It doesn't mean the science behind asprin is wrong.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 2:11 am

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:

You need to check the literature
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanc ... 40-6736(18)31884-1/fulltext

Asprin is still the primary standard care for acute coronary syndrome. The "all of a sudden" business pertains to the greater understanding of the side-effects. It doesn't mean the science behind asprin is wrong.

What I read about it said that aspirin used for heart health now only applies to those with certain diagnosed heart issues. But for decades the general public with no diagnosed heart problems were told to take aspirin daily. It's just one of the latest instances where scientists realized they were wrong about something they had been telling the public at large for decades.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 2:44 am

EzraS wrote:
youtube - blog - wiki.

I'm not even going to bother providing you with any more links. I gave you those links because they help introduce the concept.

If you go to Google Scholar and put in "falsifiability" or "wronger than wrong", you can find plenty of academic sources that discuss these topics. If you want, "falsifiability" was initially discussed by Karl Popper, and "wronger than wrong" by Isaac Asimov in his The Relativity of Wrong.

So you, or any reader here, have more than you need to verify what I'm saying here.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2019, 3:47 am

EzraS wrote:
What I read about it said that aspirin used for heart health now only applies to those with certain diagnosed heart issues. But for decades the general public with no diagnosed heart problems were told to take aspirin daily. It's just one of the latest instances where scientists realized they were wrong about something they had been telling the public at large for decades.

I think you are talking about people with low to moderate risk of heart disease + people over the age of 70 for whom the negative side effects of taking asprin outweigh the benefits of risk management against coronary disease.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-he ... se-aspirin

This is why I asked you to read the literature as you were making out that "the whole science behind asprin is wrong" which is a little bit of a stretch