House of Hitler's birth set to become police station

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 12:15 pm

The house in which Hitler was born is set to be turned into a police station in a bid to stop it becoming a pilgrimage site for neo nazi's.

The building located in the Austrian town of Braunau am inn was forcibly acquired by the Austrian goverment in 2017.

The handling of Adolf Hitler's birthplace in Braunau am inn has been a challenge for the second republic for more than 70 years,especially in connection with the history of the third reich in Austria,the interior minister said in a statement.

CNN and Reuters

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 12:30 pm

it is "an attractive nuisance" as they say in law. About all that you can do is to do just that. Make it into a police station.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 12:35 pm

That is actually a brilliant solution :lol:

TheCherokeeRosePrince
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Nov 2019, 12:37 pm

Did you guys know that both Adolf Hitler and Abraham Lincoln had the same birth cards in tarot? The Hierophant and Temperance.

Two VERY opposite sides of the same coin apparently. :chin:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2019, 9:23 pm

This CNN article says it's going to be demolished

https://www.cnn.com/2016/10/17/world/hi ... index.html

This NPR artcle says it's going to be converted into a police station

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/20/78124811 ... ce-station

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 1:39 am

The Cnn article was from 2016.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 2:00 am

I don’t see the good in erasing history.
Let’s all forget hitler existed so it’ll be easier for the next hitler.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 3:26 am

sly279 wrote:

First off - theyre probably putting a placard in front of the police station saying its Hitler's birthplace.
Second: even if they did just demolish the house, and make it into a parking lot for a Walmart, that's still not "erasing history". Hitler is still in the history books.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 4:30 am

Why not make Hilter's birthplace into a public toilet? that would be creative

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 5:42 am

vermontsavant wrote:
The Cnn article was from 2016.

Oops

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 8:06 am

Should've burnt it to the ground and built a Holocaust memorial, or a boys/girls club dedicated to not repeating the past.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 9:20 am

Persephone29 wrote:
Should've burnt it to the ground and built a Holocaust memorial, or a boys/girls club dedicated to not repeating the past.
I'm surprised it was'nt burned down a long time ago.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 1:55 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
sly279 wrote:

First off - theyre probably putting a placard in front of the police station saying its Hitler's birthplace.
Second: even if they did just demolish the house, and make it into a parking lot for a Walmart, that's still not "erasing history". Hitler is still in the history books.

They destroying anything to do with him. Pc culture I guess. Eventually history books will too and then what? We shouldn’t destroy items related to evil but keep them and show them to people. Should the death camps be demolished? There’s many who say they should. We demolished hitlers house, demolished the bunker. People want any car or object he owned destroyed. Sorry but humans need tangible items to go see and touch to really feel and believe history. Least it be forgot and become nothing but a fair tail like Troy, or other cities and civilization lost to history due to there not being any evidence.

Go thousand years from now, there’s not a single landmark or item about Hitler or the nazis, people in future will be like hitler, that’s just a fairytale to scare kids, it didn’t actually happen there’s no evidence, where’s the ruins? Where’s the items, where’s the prooF?
For our generation most don’t even know or car about ww2 it’s a distant forgotten past.
Imagine if the past English managed to complete destroy all Roman buildings and roads, we’d never known Roman stretched to England. It’s only cause we can see the ruins we know it did.
As far as I can tell that building is probably the last physical building tied to hitler.
I’d rather the bunker and his house been left. “This is where evil lived and died.”

People who visit hitlers car say they can sense and feel the evil, that it sends a shrivel up their spine. You can’t get that from few pages in a high school history book.
I imagine visiting this building would have similar effect.
That experience and feeling will last a lifetime and won’t be forgotten and probably passed down to their kids who could go see and experience it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2019, 6:52 pm

But none of that has anything to do with any "pc culture" as you call it.

PC culture is (a)not having statues honoring individuals as heroes who were really villains. but (b) making damn sure that you preserve evidence of the villainy of the said villians. And (D) you do honor the real heroes who helped bring down the villians.

You don't build statues to Hitler, but you make sure they preserve Auschwitz.

Like wise you don't name highways in the USA after traitors like Jefferson Davis. But you make sure to preserve the battlefields of the war it took to bring Davis and his confederacy down, AND you make museums out of old slave cabins that display manacles etc.

Not saying that you have to approve of PC culture, just that if you're gonna attack it, be aware of what it actually is.

But I admit that you do get into a lot of problems if you go too far down this PC road. For example you cant really remove ALL American monuments that mention the Confederacy - battlefield parks have monuments to the fallen from particular states placed there by the individual states- states from both north and south. And seeing the monuments from both regions of the nation side by side is part of the whole emotional experience of visiting places like Gettysburg (like the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem) that helps to unite the nation. So it aint a simple issue.

TheCherokeeRosePrince
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Nov 2019, 7:07 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
But none of that has anything to do with any "pc culture" as you call it.

PC culture is (a)not having statues honoring individuals as heroes who were really villains. but (b) making damn sure that you preserve evidence of the villainy of the said villians. And (D) you do honor the real heroes who helped bring down the villians.

And don't forget (E) being unforgiving of and demonizing an entire group or region of people for mistakes that were made in the past.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2019, 1:59 am

naturalplastic wrote:

You don't build statues to Hitler, but you make sure they preserve Auschwitz.

Like wise you don't name highways in the USA after traitors like Jefferson Davis. But you make sure to preserve the battlefields of the war it took to bring Davis and his confederacy down, AND you make museums out of old slave cabins that display manacles etc.

These rather simple principles are what precipitated the nutjobs to march around with tikki torches in Charlottesville to protect shrines to slave masters.

An ongoing public sore is Monticello restored home of Thomas Jefferson which is a shrine to his white descendants who have tried to cover up any mention of slaves or of Jefferson's thousands of black descendants whom they have objected to their DNA claim to Jefferson's rape of the child Sally Hemmings.

They lock up rapists like Cosby and Epstein but put criminals like Jefferson on money....founding father :lol: